Premiums coming down fast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
However, if my neighbor were a dealer that I used many times and had a good relationship with told me I’d have to pay a(ny) ADM, we wouldn’t speak again. Ever. In fact, if he were dying in the street, I’d be hard pressed to render aid. But that’s just me, I can be a little bitter.

So on a trade-in with your beloved dealer, you'll take 5-10K less than another dealer, right? You know, since you want to keep your good relationship and all.

You expect him to give away 5-10K to you, but you'd never do the same in return.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
So on a trade-in with your beloved dealer, you'll take 5-10K less than another dealer, right? You know, since you want to keep your good relationship and all.

You expect him to give away 5-10K to you, but you'd never do the same in return.

That’s not what I said, and your premise that somehow I/we “owe” any dealer this ADM is preposterous. We don’t owe ANY dealer anything over MSRP. We are not being compelled by Christ here, nobody is speaking in tongues this is just basic negotiating and deal making. Obviously, a “good deal” means different things to different people, and everyone’s criteria will be different as to whether or not a deal was ‘good’. That said, ADM essentially profiteering ( it is not price gouging, which is a whole different category of government defined behavior ). Profiteering is not in and of itself bad, amoral, unethical or evil, but it is bad for the consumer...

This dealer is simply taking advantage of lesser knowing consumers, as others prove here every, single day someone posts a “made my order at msrp” or “picked up my truck for msrp” thread. The fact that this dealer is neighbors and allegedly friends with the person posting this shows a pretty high level of contempt and disrespect for that relationship. I understand it’s a business, and I do not begrudge a business their profit, but I won’t be financially exploited in that manner and this whole discussion is fun and all, but the reality is that even if the Raptor sold at invoice, the dealer would still make a profit on the truck. MSRP is just several thousand dollars MORE profit. ADM is to profit what a 12 scoop, chocolate, caramel, snickers, M&M, Reeses Pieces, peanut butter sundae is to desserts. It’s profit overkill.

I would be wholly unconcerned about any relationship with someone trying to extract a gratuitous $10000.00 from me.

So, no, I will not - and did not- take a $hit trade deal and did not play the ADM game in the purchase of my Raptor. I drove about 80 minutes to get it, passing at least a dozen Ford dealers with incoming Raptors along the way all wanting ADM, but at least the money I spent went to something tangible I can use.

OCMDRAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a price update from Truckville on a Raptor I was looking at online. They are now at $3K over. Also got several emails from dealers I have contacted thru cars.com and autotrader, and they are also now asking $3K over for Raptors in stock. At this rate, it will be MSRP in a month or two, and then discounts after that. Just hold tight for a few months! Ford is not gonna stop pumping them out.

We will then get what we want and pay what we want. :happy107:

There's quite a few MSRP offers out there still... ordered ours and paid MSRP back in November... then bought extended warranty from Warrick Ford... it will be interesting if the prices go below MSRP... I have heard tale of 2 deals that were 1k below... which is understandable for high volume buyers, friends, and family....

Popcorn...

in the mean time can't get enough of driving it... already hit 3500 miles in 6 weeks...

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Relationship with a dealer". Is sex involved?

Buyers should do everything they can to get the lowest price possible. The dealer will not sell it at a price where they aren't making money.

I almost bought a new 2016 F150 last year. One dealer came off as all huffy puffy when I said his price wasn't low enough for me. There was still an easy $1K in profit in it for them, and it was going to be an ordered truck- meaning no time spent on their lot. I just walked away from that BS.

Last edited:

LaserDoc

Reaction score
I purchased a truck that was listed on the forum, after someone backed out. It was at MSRP. What I found interesting, was that a day and 1/2 later, the salesperson didn't receive one call, other than mine, regarding this MSRP Raptor. I didn't see the thread until 45 minutes after it was posted and thought that I probably missed out.

oswiff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still going for 5k-25k over here in New York.

That's what I'm finding in the area as well. Sent inquiries to every dealership within 150 miles of Manhattan via their respective websites. There are a lot of dealers with inventory and trucks just sitting but their "market adjustments" just doesn't make any sense for me to buy now.

My current '14 Raptor will keep me happy until the prices come down.

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my local dealer is stuck at $10K and the salesman tell me his Rapture (not a typo) is very rare....Raptures are trading dealer hands for $7500 over sticker and Raptures are selling on Ebay for $79,000.....

photoneffect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've found five Raptors with almost the exact specs I'm looking for on cars.com and autotrader.com. I got very close to MSRP on my October order, but given that I still don't even have a VIN, I decided to look into what it would cost to get one off a dealer lot today. Three of the 5 had been sold -- one was a special order and the other two were bought off the lots within the last 2 weeks, both for $10k over. The other two are being sold for $5k over and $7k over.

It's probably uncouth to quote yourself, but I wanted to give an update. That $7k one sold at ask. Also, found another one selling for $10k over. FWIW, still not seeing "premiums coming down fast" (at least for the trucks with the specs I'm looking for).

While I own a business and don't begrudge dealers for trying to make the most they can it's still very annoying to know that the allocation system which is meant to reward large/lucrative dealerships is the sole reason my October order still hasn't been issued a build date. If it were just about buying a guaranteed place in line I might say ok, but the order pulling process is so arbitrary with so much misinformation going on that you end up plunking down a deposit, waiting months, and still hear nothing not even knowing where you stand. Just seems like a really good way to alienate your customer base.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That said, ADM essentially profiteering ( it is not price gouging, which is a whole different category of government defined behavior ). Profiteering is not in and of itself bad, amoral, unethical or evil, but it is bad for the consumer...

This dealer is simply taking advantage of lesser knowing consumers, as others prove here every, single day someone posts a “made my order at msrp” or “picked up my truck for msrp” thread.I understand it’s a business, and I do not begrudge a business their profit, but I won’t be financially exploited in that manner and this whole discussion is fun and all, but the reality is that even if the Raptor sold at invoice, the dealer would still make a profit on the truck. MSRP is just several thousand dollars MORE profit. ADM is to profit what a 12 scoop, chocolate, caramel, snickers, M&M, Reeses Pieces, peanut butter sundae is to desserts. It’s profit overkill.

I would be wholly unconcerned about any relationship with someone trying to extract a gratuitous $10000.00 from me.

Free markets and capitalism, if you don't like it, well either vote with your wallet (which you did) or move

There are lots of people paying $5-10K ADMs as I type, I know because I've been trying to sniper one off the lot at max $3K over, and easily 15 have been sold at full ask, 2 of these have been at 15K over

It isn't gratuitous if others are very willing to pay it, the dealer isn't predatory

Hell, the ADMs are less than 10%, that's not even exorbitant

It isn't gouging, profiteering or any of the overly dramatic words you use

It is making money, the American way, Raptors are in high demand and some/most people are willing to pay over sticker off the lot

Why does capitalism bother you? Because you're on the receiving end of it?

Does it bother you when people scalp tickets? Have you ever scalped a ticket?

I guarantee you practice it throughout your life, but don't be a hypocrite and prevent others from doing the same - that's very un American

NewAgePhilosopher

Reaction score
This is a silly thread with silly stipulations. ADM is profit overkill? That's the dumbest thing I've heard. Paying over MSRP is bad for everyone else who wants to buy the truck? Second dumbest thing. MSRP is just that: manufacturer's suggested retail price. Why do people spend over 300k for RRs when they can buy very similar vehicles for under 150k? For some reason basic economics doesn't seem to apply when you're on the losing end of the purchase. Don't get me wrong, I would never pay a cent more than what I think it's worth (often very different from the MSRP, be it more or less), but being a business owner and coming from a family of small-large scale business owners, I have to say that calling people who pay over MSRP 'foolish' is preposterous. Calling the dealerships 'bloodsuckers', even more so. They're just doing business: fair and square.