Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

• Yes

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I voted no. The engine is fine, and its definately fast enough (that, and slower acceleration means more time with the pipes on full blast before bumping the limiter:biggrin:). Thats not my problem. Its when I hear things like "This is the motor the Raptor was always meant to have..." and things like Ford employees admitting the Raptor was never supposed to have the 5.4 engine, that **** me off. Why would Ford do that to us? We, who just spent about 50k for a truck, get something thrown together at the last minute? Thats why I am not happy with the 5.4 liter. Its the Ford execs that pushed the truck out the door when the proper engine was not finished.
:bs:

Raptorguy21

The Bob Vila of Trucks
Reaction score
I was happy with it at first, then I got really happy when I ran down Mr Bojangles in his 6.2 on a trail, and after JDM's tuning...........I couldn't be happier

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Certainly you knew the 6.2 was coming before you bought your 5.4 powered Raptor. Why then are you blaming Ford?
I am not blaming Ford, but they had one engine that the Raptor was suppsed to have and they pushed it out with the 5.4 anyway. Every time somebody asks whats under the huge, orange, vented hood, and I tell them its the regular 5.4 they get all disapointed. I am not unhappy because the truck is underpowered, I am unhappy because its underpowered for the wrong reason. I thought there were supposed to be both engines available when I bought the Raptor, on Halloween day. I didnt know there was only supposed to be the one. I love the 5.4 Raptor and wouldnt get rid of it far any other truck... exept for a 6.2

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I voted no. The engine is fine, and its definately fast enough (that, and slower acceleration means more time with the pipes on full blast before bumping the limiter:biggrin:). Thats not my problem. Its when I hear things like "This is the motor the Raptor was always meant to have..." and things like Ford employees admitting the Raptor was never supposed to have the 5.4 engine, that **** me off. Why would Ford do that to us? We, who just spent about 50k for a truck, get something thrown together at the last minute? Thats why I am not happy with the 5.4 liter. Its the Ford execs that pushed the truck out the door when the proper engine was not finished.
I talked to Mark (can't remember his last name), one of the two gentlemen (Mark Grueber is the other) solely responsible for the F150 marketing (and therefore Raptor) at the Raptor Roundup about this very thing. Selling the Raptor with the 5.4 quite literally saved the project. The 6.2 was delayed, I believe indefinitely at the time, gas prices were skyrocketing, the economy was tanking... it was a decision between ship with the 5.4, or shelve the entire Raptor project. As I understand it, there was some serious internal debate and arm twisting involved. The rest, we know.

Maybe that helps? I kinda like it... having something new and original. :)

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks BigJ, well I cant complain now can I? I am sure glad they went ahead with the Raptor. A lot of people didnt think they would. Why did they delay the 6.2? I heard development was off, I didnt know they actually killed it. I am glad I had one of the first ones, I have only seen 3 other Raptors on the road.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks BigJ, well I cant complain now can I? I am sure glad they went ahead with the Raptor. A lot of people didnt think they would. Why did they delay the 6.2? I heard development was off, I didnt know they actually killed it. I am glad I had one of the first ones, I have only seen 3 other Raptors on the road.
Well you're always welcome to complain. I just prefer to do so fully informed :)

I can't remember exactly why the 6.2 was delayed. I'm pretty sure he told us, but I just can't remember. I do seem to recall hearing him say that the 6.2 itself was questionable for release for this model year at all. Dont quote me on that though.

But there was little doubt about the conviction in voice; deciding to put the 5.4 in the Raptor saved the Raptor.

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wish I could have made it to the Roundup. We need another one! It sounds like a lot more than driving a truck around a track for 15 minutes.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There were 5.4's AND 6.2's stuck in the sand in the roundup drive. LOL - oh, thanks Tiregate guy for that by the way,

Sometimes driver skill make up for larger cubes (about 5 of us did not get stuck in the sand, yours truly included.)

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I tend to pay attention to "actions" over what people say so when I hear things like:

SNIP "This is the motor the Raptor was always meant to have..." and things like Ford employees admitting the Raptor was never supposed to have the 5.4 engine, that **** me off. Why would Ford do that to us? We, who just spent about 50k for a truck, get something thrown together at the last minute? Thats why I am not happy with the 5.4 liter. Its the Ford execs that pushed the truck out the door when the proper engine was not finished.

That's when I call B.S. (comment not directed at you Bent Toast, you're just repeating and reacting to what you've heard)

The Raptor might have been designed with the 6.2 in mind as an eventual powerplant... But there's one important fact that nobody can deny: The Raptor was tested and developed primarily with the 5.4 !!! So again, to those that infer that the Raptor was released "unfinished" or "thrown together at the last minute" because the first available engine was the 5.4, I call:

:bs::bs::bs: