What are some economy front Big Brake Upgrade options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

btkeenan

Reaction score
The wilwoods are probably going to by my next setup when they make a set for the rears that fit with the stock 17 beadlocks. In the meantime, I went with stoptech slotted rotors, ceramic pads, stainless lines, and new fluid. The stock ones feel too much like a marshmallow for my foot so these are a welcomed improvement over those.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fish Freak, I definitely think tow/haul helps when going downhill. The downshifting when letting off the gas keeps me off the brakes as often. I tow a 19 1/2 ft. with a 200 on it. Probably around 3,000-3,500 lbs total.
Thanks P4SHOCAT, this gives me some confidence. It's really all about transmission programming and if the transmission can get rid of all that braking heat. I think I'll upgrade to the bigger Saudi trans oil cooler. Heard that drops trans temps considerably.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still scratching my head on this quote….”I tow a bass boat, and in the past, my other 1/2 ton truck brakes have warped brakes struggling to scrub speed on steep downhills….”
How big is your bass boat? And how fast are you going?
The best set up I’ve used was power stop kit with 5.1 fluid. Never had a drilled rotor crack or warp.
Oh and add steel braided brake lines...
EBC rotors warped and the pads didn’t last long
Funny you ask, I'm just towing about 5k-6k, would be my guess, however, my old 1/2 ton trucks didn't have as sophisticated a transmissions as this Raptor, with all these modes. I don't go excessively fast, on the left coast I'd be paying an arm and a leg to speed while towing. There's just one grade in my circuit of travel, home from a favorite lake, where it's just too steep for too long and you have to use the brakes too much. I have not tried this Raptor on that specific grade, but my brakes are due for replacement, and I'd like to cry once but buy once.

But I'll take your advice about the 5.1 fluid, can probably handle that extra heat better.

After the 1/2 ton trucks, I went to a 3/4 ton Chevy Duramax diesel with that Allison 1000 transmission with grade braking, and I could tackle those steep long downhills without even touching my brakes, aamof, I had to give gas to get off the grade brake, it was literally awesome, and sad my D-max got totaled. That being said, this Gen 1 raptor, with the exhaust, CAI and Five Star programming, is THE MOST FUN truck I've had, so peppy and responsive, in a way that the diesel could NEVER be, even fully tuned, so I'd like to do these front brakes up right, the first time, such that I never want to sell it or be sad. Love this truck and want to spoil it!!

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wilwoods are probably going to by my next setup when they make a set for the rears that fit with the stock 17 beadlocks. In the meantime, I went with stoptech slotted rotors, ceramic pads, stainless lines, and new fluid. The stock ones feel too much like a marshmallow for my foot so these are a welcomed improvement over those.
Were those stainless braided lines a nice improvement? Is that something we should do regardless of brake kits? What fluid did you use and what would you recommend?

Check this out - FRF user said his 6 piston Wilwood kit was considerably lighter than the OEM brakes. That's GREAT news!

Wilwood brake upgrade

Last edited:

btkeenan

Reaction score
Were those stainless braided lines a nice improvement? Is that something we should do regardless of brake kits? What fluid did you use and what would you recommend?

Check this out - FRF user said his 6 piston Wilwood kit was considerably lighter than the OEM brakes. That's GREAT news!

Wilwood brake upgrade
The shop that installed them actually had an extra set of stainless lines from another project of theirs whose owner ended up going a different route so opted to have them installed while they were at it. Hard to say if lines only will make a huge difference as the combo of new rotors, pads, lines and fluid vs new OEM rotors and pads that were about 7500 miles old was my comparison. I will say that I sense no hesitation in the pedal feel when braking hard which was different from the OEM setup and what spurred me to seek a replacement in the first place. IIRC I went with some Motul RBF 600 DOT 4.

Not surprising the wilwoods are lighter, the OEM ones could double as a boat anchor.

igotaRaptor

Reaction score
I have the SSBC KIT front and rear
From my expierence I have the braided lines all around. I had to throw away the pads that came with the kit and used EBC yellowstuff pad and it has changed the trucks stopping very well. They use a standard 784/785 pad that is common on silverados etc. they bolted on easily

Last edited:

vtwinjunkie

Reaction score
Anyone had luck with the R1 concepts kit they sell on rock auto?

They have a few kits. all come with drilled and slotted rotors and optimum pads of varying styles.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Anyone had luck with the R1 concepts kit they sell on rock auto?

They have a few kits. all come with drilled and slotted rotors and optimum pads of varying styles.

Ive ised the r1 slotted on my last truck. Idk what happened but the slotted parts got filled in with rust or brake dust idk but it made them into little bumps. Went with powerstop on this truck.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cheaper brake upgrade is just to do some better pads and rotors. Outside of that it depends on what size wheel you wanna run. I think Alcon is the only company making a kit that fits under 17's besides TBM.