What are some economy front Big Brake Upgrade options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I get where you're coming from, and I don't do anything cheap myself. I'm talkin' about $2,000 vs $5,000, or a JY Brembo retrofit?

Realistically, this below is more likely. Has anyone tried these SSBC's? 8 piston calipers, link below. I think Freedom Motorsports is in IL? I'm on the left stinkin' coast...

View attachment 459762

View attachment 459763

They ship like everyone else does. Rick has helped a lot of FRF members with some good prices and knowledgeable advice on what to go with for the Raptor. They are a supporting momber on the forum.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not quite the same as Alcon, but I'd say it's an 80% improvement for about 1/3 of the price. The Wilwood kit includes everything needed for installation, including SS braided front brake lines.
Thanks Nick. Can you pm me a quote on that in Red? I think cross drilled only would be my preference. I had a set of Hawk Quiet Slot rotors on my 2500 HD and they were fantastic. Great smooth bite and I didn't feel the exaggerated bite through the pedal like with some heavy full width slots.

That's what's attracting me to the SSBC; I like that subtle dimple slot design. 8 stainless pistons is interesting too.

So is the Wilwood kit available without rotors? I guess I should ask first, does the Wilwood kit fit stock oem rotors? Then I'd use a platter like this Frozen Rotor or EBC Ultimax slots:

Frozen Rotors.JPG

Anyone tried the CryoHeat rotors? I once had a half-ton Chevy PU 25 years ago that warped rotors every time I towed and had to slow on steep grades. After 5 sets of brakes I went to a smooth 'frozen rotor' and no more warped rotors:

CryoHeat Slotted Rotors.JPG

I'd like to do this one right the first time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do these fit under stock wheels? Thanks
So far the kits I've mentioned were designed to fit 17" wheels but I don't have firsthand experience. Nick could tell ya. I know the SSBC kit is an ultra low profile design for challenging fitments. I think that might be why it has 8 small pistons as opposed to 6 larger ones that might require more wheel space.

Wilwood and SSBC have oversize kits that are way more expensive and must be used with 20" or 22" wheels but that's not what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me neither...although frankly the stock brakes with upgraded rotors, pads and fluid have worked well enough for me and I drive pretty hard in the desert... not sure it is really needed... Sure looks nice though :)
See? That's the voice of reason from Radelow! What are your preferred rotors, pads and in particular, your fluid choice? Driving in loose dirt, I'm thinking you're absolutely right, the stock brakes will be fine. I occasionally tow a boat, about 5,500 lbs, and on hills, it can overtax some oem brakes quickly.

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See? That's the voice of reason from Radelow! What are your preferred rotors, pads and in particular, your fluid choice? Driving in loose dirt, I'm thinking you're absolutely right, the stock brakes will be fine. I occasionally tow a boat, about 5,500 lbs, and on hills, it can overtax some oem brakes quickly.

i don't know about voice of reason...I have made lots of unreasonable choices on my truck (who really needs a supercharger!). Anyways, for brake rotors any will do. I have Powerstops and they haven't warped yet. For pads I like EBC. For Fluid I like Motul RBF 600 Synthetic Dot 4. You could also go with their race fluid but I think its overkill.

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fish Freak, when I am towing my bass boat, I always use the tow/haul button. I think it lets the engine slow the truck down with the down shifting. Less work for the brakes. Just something to try if you are not doing so.

radelow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with drilled rotors. They tend to crack between the holes.

With that said, I am running Alcon front and rear. Raptor is basically a trophy truck, so....

As someone that has worked on a Baja racing team (as a volunteer) for 20 years, the last 10+ fielding two Trophy Trucks I can say that is not even remotely true. ;)