What are some economy front Big Brake Upgrade options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be careful with drilled rotors. They tend to crack between the holes.

With that said, I am running Alcon front and rear. Raptor is basically a trophy truck, so....
Yea I've seen cracked cross-drilled rotors. My preference would be no holes, just the SSBC dimples with subtle slotting, that would be about perfect. Wish I could afford full Alcon brakes, but I've got too many other hobbies I'm vested in. In the past I've modded my trucks, jumped and broke them, but my Raptor Screw isn't gonna get thrashed like that. I like it too much.

Maybe I'll check if I can just get the SSBC rotors and use em with my stock calipers and some EBC pads?

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They ship like everyone else does. Rick has helped a lot of FRF members with some good prices and knowledgeable advice on what to go with for the Raptor. They are a supporting momber on the forum.
Thanks Mprice. Where do I find Rick? Thought I saw a link but couldn't find it...

OP
OP
F

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fish Freak, when I am towing my bass boat, I always use the tow/haul button. I think it lets the engine slow the truck down with the down shifting. Less work for the brakes. Just something to try if you are not doing so.
Good tip Shocat, I'll try that. Do you notice that helps on downhills while towing?

I saw that mentioned elsewhere, earlier downshifts and what not, jumped in my truck this morning and realized I didn't even know where that tow-haul button was located :p !!! Found it on the shift stalk! Duh...

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. Can you pm me a quote on that in Red? I think cross drilled only would be my preference. I had a set of Hawk Quiet Slot rotors on my 2500 HD and they were fantastic. Great smooth bite and I didn't feel the exaggerated bite through the pedal like with some heavy full width slots.

That's what's attracting me to the SSBC; I like that subtle dimple slot design. 8 stainless pistons is interesting too.

So is the Wilwood kit available without rotors? I guess I should ask first, does the Wilwood kit fit stock oem rotors? Then I'd use a platter like this Frozen Rotor or EBC Ultimax slots:

View attachment 459845

Anyone tried the CryoHeat rotors? I once had a half-ton Chevy PU 25 years ago that warped rotors every time I towed and had to slow on steep grades. After 5 sets of brakes I went to a smooth 'frozen rotor' and no more warped rotors:

View attachment 459846

I'd like to do this one right the first time.
No sir, the kit is only available as a complete kit. I don't believe the kit fits stock rotors, but then again, we've not tried it and I have not asked. But every big brake kit on the market, that I know of, does not fit with stock rotors.
Do these fit under stock wheels? Thanks
I've not been able to test them on the Gen 1. But we have confirmed that Gen 2 and Gen 3 stock wheels do fit. At most, you may need a small spacer, like 5-7mm, worst case.

mashtastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m still scratching my head on this quote….”I tow a bass boat, and in the past, my other 1/2 ton truck brakes have warped brakes struggling to scrub speed on steep downhills….”
How big is your bass boat? And how fast are you going?
The best set up I’ve used was power stop kit with 5.1 fluid. Never had a drilled rotor crack or warp.
Oh and add steel braided brake lines...
EBC rotors warped and the pads didn’t last long

Last edited:

P4SHOCAT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fish Freak, I definitely think tow/haul helps when going downhill. The downshifting when letting off the gas keeps me off the brakes as often. I tow a 19 1/2 ft. with a 200 on it. Probably around 3,000-3,500 lbs total.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Me neither...although frankly the stock brakes with upgraded rotors, pads and fluid have worked well enough for me and I drive pretty hard in the desert... not sure it is really needed... Sure looks nice though :)

I did the same, mostly cause i cant afford a bbk lol. Powerstop rotors coated and carbon pads have worked well for me. I have used them through saltly snow with freezing temps and through the white mountains with heat and humidity. No issues and stops well for a pig.

I do like the idea of a caliper relocation and a bigger rotor. Idk enough about this to really know if its worth the time and money.

my next step is just some ss lines and new (probably oem) calipers. Maybe toss some paint on them to look fancy LOL.