Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

• Yes

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they don't hurry up, i'm going to see the new 6.7L first!! HaHa. Just took a class on that one yesterday.

gotls1

Reaction score
I have it in the back of my mind to organize an event... I'm thinking we meet at a shop with a dyno and run a 5.4 and 6.2 Raptor and overlay the horsepower and torque curves. Same day, same hour, same weather, same dyno, same operator. Eliminate as many variables as we can, and just see what we see.

(PS: I'm kinda known in the LX community for doing just this (300s, Magnums, Chargers). I've held half a dozen multi-day events as SVS R&D in Sacramento CA where we've tested mods of various descriptions in exactly the way I outline above. I try to control as many variables as possible, so we end up with as true to life comparisons as we can. Just a matter of time till we do something like that with the Raptor :))

Will you go to the track afterwards? lol

DJ BFG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now even though i do not race my truck on or off road, that way i can't tell you the full potential of this beast. but i look at it this way people. I own a yamaha R6 (600cc's) it does everything a 1000 cc sport bike will do except top speed. but unless your a true racer/baharacer what do you need the extra .8L in an engine for? It's really not that much diference now is it? but again I don not claim to know everything about engines, (because I don't) I think that people get the bigger number to accomidate for something else. It always comes down to driver capability and experience.

To answer your question though, Yes I love the 5.4L engine. it really is a smooth running monster of a truck that will sneak up on someone and go past them in a blur!!!!!!! Way to go Ford Motor Comppany!!!

P.S. this question is like asking if someone likes sex or not, DUH!!!!!!!!! LOL

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be an aberration in this (as in many other things <G>) but I ordered a 6.2L primarily because I believe the venerable 5.4's days are numbered. I have owned one for years, still do... 140,000 miles and still kickin... and I would be the FIRST to agree that I don't need an extra 100 HP. Not that I won't enjoy it <G>... but the 5.4 has done me well in my XLT. Is the 5.4 in the Raptor different? Dunno... but there IS a school of thought out there that says it is underpowered.

Resale/trade-in was another issue for me. Not that I plan to sell it, but if I do I think the issue of a 6.2 vs. a 5.4 will be an important point.

"...I think that people get the bigger number to accommodate for something else. It always comes down to driver capability and experience" ... I don't know about that DJ... my puny ****** doesn't equate to a predilection for a more powerful pucker factor <GG>.

But what do I know <G>.

Falcon

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a couple of good points Falcon (and way too much info regarding your puny ******). I hadn't considered the resale issue.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA HA whooooo Haaaaaaa HA! Lord, I can't........cat.......ch...hoooooo, ha ha, Whaaaaa,hahaha...........my......haahahoooo.....brea.......ha......th!!!! It bothers me to think that Falcon is in the "SHOW-ME" state!!!! TMI_TMI_TMI!

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA HA whooooo Haaaaaaa HA! Lord, I can't........cat.......ch...hoooooo, ha ha, Whaaaaa,hahaha...........my......haahahoooo.....brea.......ha......th!!!! It bothers me to think that Falcon is in the "SHOW-ME" state!!!! TMI_TMI_TMI!

Now THAT's funny! <GGG>

Falcon

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does a Harley truck sporting a Supercharged 5.4L count? :wave:

I've actually test drove a 5.4L Raptor and for being Naturally aspirated, it's actually pretty nice. My only issue I don't think I can live life with only 300 horses under the hood. So I would have to bolt a supercharger on it or buy the 6.2L.

JohntheDrummer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love my fi-fo! Perfect balance of power while not draining the fuel tank at a record rate, plus I saved 3K and got my truck when I wanted it. What's not to love about an engine that has proven to be Rock Solid?
:rockon: