Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

Are you "happy" with the 5.4L?

• Yes

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before anybody thinks im hating, i will say the 6.2 is a great buy...nothing wrong with it at all, has more Power and TQ..so yes its a better buy over the 5.4. the only difference would be MPG and flex fuel, thats the only 2 things the 5.4 has over the 6.2

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I killed an Avalanche (newer one) today going to work....and yes the guy had his foot on the floor.

Next light he didn't even try.

No,

I wasn't in the GT500....

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now i will say this hummer will trump my 5.4 offroading, but look at the price differences, and i drove in a similar Hummer, military spec actually, and them damn things are not durable...impressive, but they are constantly breaking down, and they mostly drive on pavement the ones we have

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSolxkOfGQQ&feature=related

Dumb driver in the H1...not to mention he could use better tires...but them H1's are pretty damn sweet...out of my price range, but the fact that they can float...and run literally through a river...sick

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That H1 is probably the only non-commercial truck in the US that's wider than the Raptor.

It's extremely capable but the interior is like being inside an engine compartment.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree....nothing really comfy about an H1...tons a room interior wise, and you can try to apply a dent with a baseball bat...but totally not ideal for a daily driver/offroad nut.

Probably the only offroad vehicle thats worth a **** that was manufactured by GM lol

Highroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the 5.4l in my Raptor, and I'll give you my thoughts.
1. mine is averaging 17mpg mixed driving, lets see the 6.2 do that.
2. I have great lowend torque, which makes for great low speed crawling.
3. the 5.4L is a proven reliable platform in a truck.
4. the 5.4 has more than enough giddyup off road, the 6.2 may have alittle too much for offroad reliability.
Now the only down side is it needs a little more giddyup on the street. But other than that it has plenty of power offroad, enough to get you in trouble in a hurry. Just my .02 worth.

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To be honest I don't drive my Raptor as much as you guys (possibly gals) do. It's a 5.4 with 3,5XX miles on the odometer.

But I can say that on the streets, which is where I drive the most given my location, it has plenty of pick up for passing, sounds great, rides smooth and makes me proud if not egocentric to own it because in the end I know I have one bad-ass truck that very few people will own.

I gain great comfort from the fact that the antiquated 5.4 has been around since the beginning of time meaning it is more refined.

When I happen to drive it on our beaches where the sand can be 12 inches deep I am confident that my Raptor will have no problem outperforming others on the beach. If it starts to bog down, well, the throttle is my friend and I have no problem punching it to the floor in 4H.

My Raptor is a fine balance of technology, refinement and gumption.

If the 6.2 were available when I purchased my Raptor I may have considered it but engine reliability plays a large roll, for me, on my first "expensive" vehicle so I honestly can't say that I would have purchased the 6.2 even though I normally lean towards the engine with the highest horsepower...or I wouldn't have my 5.0 on order instead of keeping the trusty 4.0 V6 Mustang we have now.

I have the utmost respect for owners of all Raptors 5.4 or 6.2, yet I do envy the extra horsepower of the 6.2 owners.

jesse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow...only 2 dont like their 5.4's...thats definitely saying a lot...i wish editors or people bashing the 5.4 can actually see true statistics of ACTUAL owners...not just hear say. I have to agree, I have yet ran into a situation to where i was needing more power...no to mention the fact thats including the time i climbed up Pikes Peak at an elevation of 14,000!

BentToast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That H1 is probably the only non-commercial truck in the US that's wider than the Raptor.

It's extremely capable but the interior is like being inside an engine compartment.

Actually, the track on the Raptor is wider than the H1. Dont know about the overal width though.