What does "Turbo not making charge" message mean?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullishone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure I understand you're sarcasm. So you're okay with dropping 60k+ on a new vehicle only to see it have mechanical issues?
Doesn't this go with everything you buy? IF there is a problem, which are very far and few between, they fix it. Mine has been perfect so far.

So yes I'm okay buying something new with a warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

SHOCKSOKET

Reaction score
Truck was towed to the dealer and of course the warning light disappeared when the dealer started looking at it. They took it for a drive and ran diagnostics and couldn't find a problem. They are going to keep it overnight and have the shop foreman beat it up pretty good tomorrow to see if they can find anything. Typical that the problem goes into hiding once it shows up for service!

Very true. My GT350 had check engine light within the first 1k miles. Ford couldn't find anything wrong...fast forward a month later and I have a 60k dollar mustang with a factory replaced motor at 2k miles...thank God for warranties. Hope your problem is fixed fast and well. You did the right thing taking it to them right away

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
That's the difference between me and you. I'm not okay with buying a product, no matter what the price, and having repeated issues. I just wouldn't feel secure in dropping 60k on a new truck with the problems that have been reported so early in this year model. Like the guy who had 195 miles on his 2017 and is already fighting Ford for a new transmission. I had to lemon law a 1996 Z28 6 months after I bought it. It was a complete PITA to deal with.

Glad yours and others have been perfect, hope it stays that way and these reported issues are just a fluke occurrence for trucks built on Friday.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That's the difference between me and you. I'm not okay with buying a product, no matter what the price, and having repeated issues. I just wouldn't feel secure in dropping 60k on a new truck with the problems that have been reported so early in this year model. Like the guy who had 195 miles on his 2017 and is already fighting Ford for a new transmission. I had to lemon law a 1996 Z28 6 months after I bought it. It was a complete PITA to deal with.

Glad yours and others have been perfect, hope it stays that way and these reported issues are just a fluke occurrence for trucks built on Friday.

I had a lawsuit and eventual buy back when I was 20 and still living with my parents. had to buy a beater POS car to drive for part of the time and that was my first new car buying experience. Although I understand there will be problems and yes, the warranty will cover fixing those problems the warranty doesn’t cover “problem child” vehicle expenses like missing work, or missing a doctor’s appointment while you’re on the side of the road with a dead vehicle, nor does it cover your transportation while you’re without your brand new vehicle that’s now in the shop for repairs, nor does it cover lodging if you’re stuck out of town when the problem occurs. I had over $3500 in these types of expenses back in 1989, and things haven’t gotten cheaper.

So yeah, the warranty fixes the truck but it doesn’t really always make you financially whole. Also, a lot of times, the dealer may not know enough. Not for nothing, but don’t ever suggest to a mechanic that he/she doesn’t know something, or that you might know more than they do about anything. That is like brake checking an angry tailgater.

I had a mysterious “general PCM fault” on my previous Subaru 3 or 4 times. 1st 2 times were about 10 months apart, 3rd time I got more serious about it and did some digging - found a TSB. 4th time I brought it in with a copy of the TSB. It never happened again. Hopefully this issue is something easy to track down like some loose connector or something.

nitronate33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

totally agree. the warranty is there as a last resort to protect the consumer for isolated problems. i always hope i will never have to use it and i do my research on vehicles before i buy them to make sure they will be as reliable as possible and do not have major inherent design flaws. i think ford has some work to do with the G2 to get it right, hopefully they are isolated issues but when they are leading to possible lemon law buybacks so early in production, that is concerning to me.

OP
OP
S

stewart7795

Reaction score
I believe we had one come in for that concern at only 400 miles with a wastegate that was stuck closed. Not a difficult fix.

I have 455 miles on it. Have not heard from dealer yet today. Any chance the wastegate was stuck at one point and then became unstuck? Baffled why the dealer getting the wrench error on the dash. It was there when it was pulled out for the tow to the dealer! I only know the "turbo not making charge" because the guy that put new rims on it hooked it up to a computer that gave him that response. Dealer had his head foreman look at it this morning and still no problems. They're going to take it to lunch and drive the hell out of it to be sure. We shall see.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it's not "making charge" the wastegate would be stuck open, not closed.

Reaction score
I have 455 miles on it. Have not heard from dealer yet today. Any chance the wastegate was stuck at one point and then became unstuck? Baffled why the dealer getting the wrench error on the dash. It was there when it was pulled out for the tow to the dealer! I only know the "turbo not making charge" because the guy that put new rims on it hooked it up to a computer that gave him that response. Dealer had his head foreman look at it this morning and still no problems. They're going to take it to lunch and drive the hell out of it to be sure. We shall see.

I did a little more research and it looks like Ford has seen this problem, the trucks come with a vacuum operated wastegate and they have an updated wastgate that will now be controlled electronically via the PCM. So that will require an update as well.