What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you get the bolts off the rear u joint. For the life of me I couldn’t get a socket on without hitting the SHAFT
He had a lift. I think I watched a Fordtechmakuloco Youtube video doing the pinion seal and he lifted the truck, set jack stands and let down the axle so it could droop out, and used an impact with a 12-point on 'em.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
He had a lift. I think I watched a Fordtechmakuloco Youtube video doing the pinion seal and he lifted the truck, set jack stands and let down the axle so it could droop out, and used an impact with a 12-point on 'em.
Yea I tried on the ground. That checks out.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I couldn’t get an angle on the bolts was my issue
I use a the boxed end of a wrench with a cheater wrench. when the truck is on the ground in park to break them loose and natural when you get them broke. Cheater wrench is always at least two sizes bigger than bolt wrench. ex....the bolts are 12mm 12 point so your cheater wrench should be a 14mm 15mm or 16mm. Like this!!IMG_3377.jpeg

Last edited:

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Or use a hunk of pipe for leverage extension.
I have broken a couple box end wrenches doing it the way you show:(
Not that I haven't done it again in a pinch, but if I have time to slip a length of pipe over the wreck or ratchet, I prefer that.
I have a few pieces of galvanized, water line, conduit, fencing, and other stuff for just such an occasion.

pipe.jpg

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How did you get the bolts off the rear u joint. For the life of me I couldn’t get a socket on without hitting the SHAFT
If you can, the rear of truck needs to be raised and supported then lower the axle.
The bolts are Loctite in and torqued to 79 ft-lbs., so it won't be easy to just use a wrench.
You'll need an impact gun to make life easier.

I also bought this with the new bolts. I didn't need it the first few times greasing the yoke but it sure is easier.

Attachments

• DSC02380 fixed.jpg
    DSC02380 fixed.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 17

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Or use a hunk of pipe for leverage extension.
I have broken a couple box end wrenches doing it the way you show:(
Not that I haven't done it again in a pinch, but if I have time to slip a length of pipe over the wreck or ratchet, I prefer that.
I have a few pieces of galvanized, water line, conduit, fencing, and other stuff for just such an occasion.

View attachment 464090
I have never broke a wrench this way. That being said....... I am old, weak and use Snap On flank drive. So take your pic why I have never broke a wrench this way. LOL