shocking shock discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my super important and anecdotally informed take on the matter...

For the sake of argument, let's lump Fox, Icon and King into the same category of "aftermarket."

That being said, stock shocks are plenty for 90%+ of Raptor drivers. The stock shocks are 2.8's (I believe), most people are opting for 3.0's. From what I've heard the difference is there... but is it worth it? An external reservoir upfront is a good upside, but I'm still not convinced.

At TRR I noticed a potential issue with aftermarket shocks. There will always be a weak link, and with 3.0's your weak link becomes the shock mounts. They need reinforcement. The stock shocks aren't as "powerful" but they are well-tuned for all types of terrain. If your aftermarket shocks are not correctly tuned, you're asking for trouble.

In my all important opinion, upgraded leafs and possibly a bump stop set-up should afford you much better bang for your buck than shocks. If you can afford everything, go for it. But, like I said 90%+ of owners are fine stock, but many owners (occasional yet "spirited" off-roaders) would be better off with springs and bumps than bigger shocks.

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here's my super important and anecdotally informed take on the matter...

For the sake of argument, let's lump Fox, Icon and King into the same category of "aftermarket."

That being said, stock shocks are plenty for 90%+ of Raptor drivers. The stock shocks are 2.8's (I believe), most people are opting for 3.0's. From what I've heard the difference is there... but is it worth it? An external reservoir upfront is a good upside, but I'm still not convinced.

At TRR I noticed a potential issue with aftermarket shocks. There will always be a weak link, and with 3.0's your weak link becomes the shock mounts. They need reinforcement. The stock shocks aren't as "powerful" but they are well-tuned for all types of terrain. If your aftermarket shocks are not correctly tuned, you're asking for trouble.

In my all important opinion, upgraded leafs and possibly a bump stop set-up should afford you much better bang for your buck than shocks. If you can afford everything, go for it. But, like I said 90%+ of owners are fine stock, but many owners (occasional yet "spirited" off-roaders) would be better off with springs and bumps than bigger shocks.
Stock shocks are a 2" piston... Fox 3.0's are a 2.5" piston... ICON and King are a 3" piston.

You're absolutely correct that a spring change and bump kit in the rear will make a world of difference that most owners will be happy with!

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do have a picture I can post... and I've edited any portions which would show truck color/tires/etc... but I don't think I need to post it unless Brian still doesn't believe me!

Shit Slingin's getting good! Your move, Brian! LOL

As far as shock mounts... this has nothing to do with the shock itself. I've seen all 3 brands AND stock shocks with broken mounts. Either the shock will build resistance to a point where the resistance is greater than the metal can take... or the shock will bottom out, and the metal will break. It has more to do with spring resistance, impact velocity, and bump kit location/tuning.

Regardless of shock choice, a bump kit is STILL NEEDED for people that really push these trucks. As long as the bump kit it setup to where IT takes the beating before the shock has run out of stroke... you will be very unlikely to break a mount.

Last edited:

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll just keeping running my stock shocks till they break, and then worry about it...with the money I save, I can buy more drinks.:happy160:

I have a very reliable formula for this issue. ((Drive it like crazy) + (drink until) = your truck is comfortable.)

I think the simple fact to remember here is that even on stock shocks, this vehicle is pretty ****** epic, so whatever you upgrade to in the end, is just icing on the cake.

Through experience of doing many many track events I have made a revelation you should all consider- We arent racing, there is no trophy and no money for finish positions,:winner_second_h4h: and even with all the driving on the track I did in my GT500, when I sold it with 20k miles, maybe 2000 miles were track or performance driving miles. I came to the conclusion that upgrading the suspension was a stupid modification, because I gave up comfort 90% of my seat time for what? 3 or 4 irrelevant seconds off of a lap when the car was still fun as hell on the track stock? Your viewpoint may vary- SPRSNKs opinion DEFINITELY would, but I get so much satisfaction in driving a stock truck on that torture test we call TRR, and then pulling the trailer home and going to work Monday morning.:boobs:

Some people like Pepsi, some people like Coke.....I dont care which I get as long as I got some whiskey to put in it.

Comfort wise, stock Raptor rocks. The Raptor I had at TRR is my daily driver. I upgraded from the stock shocks because I got a killer deal on the Kings, Outlaw Raptor Bump Stop and Tie Rods. After selling the stock shocks, I paid 2750.00 including installation for all of it. For my usage which is parking blocks, curbs, speed bumps and highway, the Kings were a serious improvement over stock. TRR was the first time that the truck had seen the dirt. The aftermarket shocks made a difference in just the daily driving on the roads. It was more comfortable (Lexus smooth) to drive over every day obstacles like bumps in the road (Miata's/Prius's) and railroad tracks. Was it worth the investment to me? Yes. Now that I actually hit the dirt with that truck, damn, it was a huge improvement over stock. I wasn't passed once and passed everyone in front of me. Having beaten the shit out of my other Raptor and knowing what the breaking points were on the truck, what it could and couldn't do and knowing what my driving ability is, I took my truck to 8/10 of ability. I had a blast, truck is fine minus the skid plate (which I have the stock one from the other Raptor) and a cracked windshield. When I end up with another Raptor in 2014/2015, I already know what upgrades I am doing right off. Suspension and I'll probably try out the Icon's for that.

As for a stock GT500 on the track :poop: It needs all the help it can get as they can't turn a corner without mods.