shocking shock discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
I have a couple questions and I'm not trying to be an ass.

Does Icon recommend a bump stop should be run with their shocks?

Some guys have had to grind the shock mount to install their Icons. Is that why the gusset is necessary? It seems like these may be contributing factors to breaking shock mounts.

I thought I heard someone at TRR blued the shafts on their Icons and the zinc coating came off from the shocks overheating. Is that just a rumor?

MC B2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the mount point after seeing the carnage at TRR... is there a mod to sleeve the inside? What are the ways one can upgrade that, without causing undo stress other places? Inquiring minds want to know...

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We run all three (RPG Fox, King and Icon) 3.0s on our three trucks. We have tested them very hard and they all preform well.

When a customer calls us and wants 3.0s, we run them through a long line of questioning so that we can get a good idea of which one is best for their application. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd be interested to know this line of questioning and how it weights towards one decision over another.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have upper kit in my garage, and should be getting lower kit soon.. Upper will not work post damage, but if I took the time to install it prior to TRR, I wouldn't have blown a mount..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I heard someone at TRR blued the shafts on their Icons and the zinc coating came off from the shocks overheating. Is that just a rumor?

Not a rumor. You saw mine in Tx and the coating definitely appears to have degraded significantly due to what I believe to be high temperatures.