shocking shock discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Scotch I drink straight, but whiskey I dont drink for the taste...there is a HUGE difference.

If you drink Jack Daniels or Jim Beam, you have ZERO argument here.

If you drink pilsner american corn beer, you also have ZERO argument.:shitsweak: If you arent drinking 5%+, your drinking water.

I drink Guinness and Stella for beer. I drink Vodka straight out of the bottle, Scotch (like Bruichladdich) on the rocks (not ice, frozen rocks), and if Im slumming it, I drink crown with either water or coke, but if you think that somehow hurts my manhood, you havent had drinks with me.

Im not an alcohol snob, but I make my own beer, wine from our vines, and spirits out of my own still....I KNOW my alcohol. I dont like being boxed into mass produced drinks. (Although J.W. Weller made a 19 yr old in 2001 that was the finest spirit I have ever had the pleasure of tasting, and now horde the only bottles I have been able to find, and Chivas Stone of Destiny has a 38 yr old that is quite nice I like to bring out and drink with friends.)

Hit me up at the next event- I will happily share.

I have just officially derailed this thread from a shock thread to a spirit thread- sorry

You're F'N LUSH!, I will definitely hit you up one day, but you can keep that damn Scotch to yourself.... ewww!:Sumo:

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Didn't blu anything... If there is any bluing its all from excessive heat.

OK I got you, the original poster said that "you blued your icons" I mistook this as you had applied a bluing finish to them, my mistake. It would be interesting to see pictures of this and maybe Dylan here can hook you up. Also, Dylan, I have sent Brad a couple Emails in regards to the front 3.0's that should be coming to me, they were supposed to be shipped last thurs or fri , but I have not gotten an email with a tracking number. It is sort of important because I am about to PCS from FT Benning to FT Bragg and need to either get them shipped before I do or held till after I have a new address.

ICONRep

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK I got you, the original poster said that "you blued your icons" I mistook this as you had applied a bluing finish to them, my mistake. It would be interesting to see pictures of this and maybe Dylan here can hook you up. Also, Dylan, I have sent Brad a couple Emails in regards to the front 3.0's that should be coming to me, they were supposed to be shipped last thurs or fri , but I have not gotten an email with a tracking number. It is sort of important because I am about to PCS from FT Benning to FT Bragg and need to either get them shipped before I do or held till after I have a new address.

We are going to coordinate with you on Monday to get them to you where ever you will be. You should have emails from me, I know I replied to your email earlier. I will forward it again just in case.

Will call you Monday

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We are going to coordinate with you on Monday to get them to you where ever you will be. You should have emails from me, I know I replied to your email earlier. I will forward it again just in case.

Will call you Monday

Great! I just got your email and will be around monday, I'm heading down to Florida from the 3rd to the 11th, and will be back in GA probly from the 11th to the 15th or so, after than I'll be off to Bragg. Thanks for the great customer service Brad!

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see some pictures of what you are talking about. If there is something wrong I will fix it.

It is typical on any shock (stock or aftermarket) to see a zone of about 1" on the shaft that looks different whether it is chrome or nitro steel. This can be bluing from localized friction heat but is mostly burnishing from the high frequency low amplitude movement at ride height. The Nitro Steel shaft material is also a different color to begin with and the normal bronze color will burnish differently.
http://www.commercialfluidpower.com/PDFFiles/NitrosteelCFP2007Brochure.pdf
As for overall heat discoloration on the body: If the stickers aren't burned off then there is now way the CAD plating on the body will be compromised. Only the small mounting spacers are zinc plated
On the dyno I can melt and blow up ANY shock and have run these shocks well over 350F and burnt the stickers off with no other issues.
In the field I run temp strips to show the highest temp reached. The strips start at 190F.
You can get temp strips here:
McMaster-Carr
I have never gotten the front shocks to register on the temp strips.
The only time I was able to get the rears to register is after many miles and repeated 80mph passes on the massive whoop road in Mexico. Max temp was 230F. Ford Raptor Icon Testing - San Felipe, Mexico - YouTube
Although TRR is rough on the trucks as a whole the overall energy input into the shocks is relatively low. The course is just too slow and inconsistent to really make the shocks even break a sweat. Energy input that is converted to heat is the summation of force times displacement and must be input at high enough rate in a given time period and faster than dissipation to accumulate heat soak. That means you have to hit a lot of tall bumps very hard and spaced close together and not stop to take pictures every 20 min.

Again, I have not found any bluing on the shocks front or rear. It appears at first glance that the rear shock bodies seemed to have discolored. Performance wise, these things rock! No complaints here, just an observation. Will try and post pics this weekend.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comfort wise, stock Raptor rocks. The Raptor I had at TRR is my daily driver. I upgraded from the stock shocks because I got a killer deal on the Kings, Outlaw Raptor Bump Stop and Tie Rods. After selling the stock shocks, I paid 2750.00 including installation for all of it. For my usage which is parking blocks, curbs, speed bumps and highway, the Kings were a serious improvement over stock. TRR was the first time that the truck had seen the dirt. The aftermarket shocks made a difference in just the daily driving on the roads. It was more comfortable (Lexus smooth) to drive over every day obstacles like bumps in the road (Miata's/Prius's) and railroad tracks. Was it worth the investment to me? Yes. Now that I actually hit the dirt with that truck, damn, it was a huge improvement over stock. I wasn't passed once and passed everyone in front of me. Having beaten the shit out of my other Raptor and knowing what the breaking points were on the truck, what it could and couldn't do and knowing what my driving ability is, I took my truck to 8/10 of ability. I had a blast, truck is fine minus the skid plate (which I have the stock one from the other Raptor) and a cracked windshield. When I end up with another Raptor in 2014/2015, I already know what upgrades I am doing right off. Suspension and I'll probably try out the Icon's for that.

As for a stock GT500 on the track :poop: It needs all the help it can get as they can't turn a corner without mods.

I kinda thought you would have that opinion on the gt500.

That said, I find your comments on the raptor upgrades you did VERY interesting. So, your ride is even better on the road?

I would definitely be interested in doing that if I'm not sacrificing ride quality on the road. 60k miles and probably 59k of that is road driving, so our next get together Ill be picking your brain for sure.

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to see some pictures of what you are talking about. If there is something wrong I will fix it.

It is typical on any shock (stock or aftermarket) to see a zone of about 1" on the shaft that looks different whether it is chrome or nitro steel. This can be bluing from localized friction heat but is mostly burnishing from the high frequency low amplitude movement at ride height. The Nitro Steel shaft material is also a different color to begin with and the normal bronze color will burnish differently.
http://www.commercialfluidpower.com/PDFFiles/NitrosteelCFP2007Brochure.pdf
As for overall heat discoloration on the body: If the stickers aren't burned off then there is now way the CAD plating on the body will be compromised. Only the small mounting spacers are zinc plated
On the dyno I can melt and blow up ANY shock and have run these shocks well over 350F and burnt the stickers off with no other issues.
In the field I run temp strips to show the highest temp reached. The strips start at 190F.
You can get temp strips here:
McMaster-Carr
I have never gotten the front shocks to register on the temp strips.
The only time I was able to get the rears to register is after many miles and repeated 80mph passes on the massive whoop road in Mexico. Max temp was 230F. Ford Raptor Icon Testing - San Felipe, Mexico - YouTube
Although TRR is rough on the trucks as a whole the overall energy input into the shocks is relatively low. The course is just too slow and inconsistent to really make the shocks even break a sweat. Energy input that is converted to heat is the summation of force times displacement and must be input at high enough rate in a given time period and faster than dissipation to accumulate heat soak. That means you have to hit a lot of tall bumps very hard and spaced close together and not stop to take pictures every 20 min.

Dylan,

What rear springs are on that truck? I would like to talk to you about a few things on these trucks, and since you guys have all the r&d done, its a no-brainer.

thanks.

PS As far as this tread goes, opinions are like ********, everybody has one.
All of these shocks FOX KING ICON are exceptional. For ME it will come down to the best customer service.