Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
what about the Raptor Ranger rumor...where they are putting the current EBv6 in a long travel Ranger to compete with Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2... I foresee this first before a Gen 3 Raptor.

The Ranger needs to come out first. Any extreme offroad model probably wouldn't be available until 2 years after the base model launch. That's what Ford does with the Raptor.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

^This.

I missed out on the first raptor for a corvette. I am glad I got my gen 2. If I could wave a magic wand I think in a raptor I would want a 500 hp N/A V8, without any active fuel management cylinder deactivation. If a V8 is what happens in the future, it's probably going to be pretty cool for most of us and I'll buy one of those next. I understand hanging onto your gen 1s and waiting. I don't get the haters that get all emotional about it.

N/A is great in a manual transmission sports car where instant throttle response matters. But torque is more useful in a truck. I have zero interest in upgrading my N/A V8 powered M3 to the new turbo model. But I love the turbo on the Raptor when hauling the family and all our gear over 12,000ft mountain passes.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark me down for another who would buy a Gen 2 with a 5.0. My brother is in the same boat. He's about to put in an order for a 2018 Platinum 5.0, which we plan to Whipple and do a mild suspension build on. I've already talked to Whipple and they are actively working on a new kit for the 5.0 with dual injection and the 10 speed. They expect to have a kit to market in 3 months and they were very excited about how the development was going. Apparently they are making great power. They told me absolutely to wait for the 2018 over grabbing a 2017. I'm sure the 10 speed will help a lot, too. Really seems to with the Gen 2s. Shifts very fast. My 6 speed is tuned to shift pretty slow, though, so as not to blow parts out the bottom.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
When the engine comes out, any idea how far the ecoboost will tank in value? It will definitely be the least preferred preference when they are both side by side.

Last edited:

hamster

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next engine a V6 or V8.....don't really care....if it a significantly better performer than my Gen2, I will get in line to buy one....unless I am too old by then and default to a Prius (never I say....never).

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Mark me down for another who would buy a Gen 2 with a 5.0. My brother is in the same boat. He's about to put in an order for a 2018 Platinum 5.0, which we plan to Whipple and do a mild suspension build on. I've already talked to Whipple and they are actively working on a new kit for the 5.0 with dual injection and the 10 speed. They expect to have a kit to market in 3 months and they were very excited about how the development was going. Apparently they are making great power. They told me absolutely to wait for the 2018 over grabbing a 2017. I'm sure the 10 speed will help a lot, too. Really seems to with the Gen 2s. Shifts very fast. My 6 speed is tuned to shift pretty slow, though, so as not to blow parts out the bottom.

I'm curious about the 10 speed vs 6 speed. I've noticed reading through a few online publications that the 6 speed with the old EB engine was quicker than the new higher output EB engine with the 10 speed. I know there are always variables to these tests and that the only way to know for sure would be to have a 2015 and 2017 at the same track on the same day, same temp, same trim etc... But C&D reported the numbers below

C&D 2015 F150 = 14.4 1/4 mile
C&D 2017 F150 = 14.7 1/4 mile