Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yep, it will be exactly like the F-150 line where the V8 dominates the EcoBoost. Oh wait, scratch that. 60% of F-150s sales are with those V6 engines that according to you no one likes.

That's marketing fluff. It doesn't say how many 5.0s were sold. Nor does it say how many of the 2.7 & 3.5 EB variants were sold individually.

Y'all love your marketing hype, eh?

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm curious about the 10 speed vs 6 speed. I've noticed reading through a few online publications that the 6 speed with the old EB engine was quicker than the new higher output EB engine with the 10 speed. I know there are always variables to these tests and that the only way to know for sure would be to have a 2015 and 2017 at the same track on the same day, same temp, same trim etc... But C&D reported the numbers below

C&D 2015 F150 = 14.4 1/4 mile
C&D 2017 F150 = 14.7 1/4 mile

I am also curious about this. Unfortunately, I don't have any real information let alone hard data on it.

If asked, up until very recently, I would have said I preferred the 6 speed. I just didn't trust the 10 speed. Figured it would be hunting for gears too much. Also assumed it would be heavier. But it seems most of the Gen 2 guys on here are very happy with them. And I've seen some videos of Gen 2s and they really do seem to shift quick.

The reason I mentioned what I did is because I was actually advising my brother to get a 2017 with the port injection and 6 speed. I called Whipple specifically to discuss the issues with tuning direct/port and to get their thoughts on the 10 speed. Whipple provided positive feedback on both. For whatever that is worth. We do have to keep in mind they have a very close relationship with Ford. It could only hurt them to say anything bad about Ford's latest lineup.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's marketing fluff. It doesn't say how many 5.0s were sold. Nor does it say how many of the 2.7 & 3.5 EB variants were sold individually.

Y'all love your marketing hype, eh?

Quote: "2.7-liter EcoBoost engine and 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine are most popular among F-150 customers, representing more than 60 percent of F-150 sales mix".

That sounds pretty concrete to me, especially in a PR release that falls under the purview of the SEC because Ford is a publically traded company. Lying about production numbers is a major no-no.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quote: "2.7-liter EcoBoost engine and 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine are most popular among F-150 customers, representing more than 60 percent of F-150 sales mix".

That sounds pretty concrete to me, especially in a PR release that falls under the purview of the SEC because Ford is a publically traded company. Lying about production numbers is a major no-no.

I'm not questioning the validity of the extremely limited information provided.

I'm interested to know how many people chose the cheaper 2.7 vs the 3.5 and specifically how many people paid a premium for the 3.5 vs. those who paid a premium for the 5.0. I'd also be interested to know 3.5 vs. 5.0 sales by model (ie, does the 3.5 more often go into the lower end models or the higher end models like the Platinum and King Ranch).

Ford is obviously just pushing an agenda with the ****** press release.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not questioning the validity of the extremely limited information provided.

I'm interested to know how many people chose the cheaper 2.7 vs the 3.5 and specifically how many people paid a premium for the 3.5 vs. those who paid a premium for the 5.0. I'd also be interested to know 3.5 vs. 5.0 sales by model (ie, does the 3.5 more often go into the lower end models or the higher end models like the Platinum and King Ranch).

Ford is obviously just pushing an agenda with the ****** press release.

Most companies don't release detailed product mix breakdowns because they don't want to alert the competition to what is working and not working for them.

As for Ford's "agenda", it seems to be working. They are selling a lot of F-150 EB engines and I suspect they only want to grow that number. And that "agenda" is also why I think a V8 Raptor is a long shot.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most companies don't release detailed product mix breakdowns because they don't want to alert the competition to what is working and not working for them.

As for Ford's "agenda", it seems to be working. They are selling a lot of F-150 EB engines and I suspect they only want to grow that number. And that "agenda" is also why I think a V8 Raptor is a long shot.

It's fine that they don't want to release but I don't think it's for the reason you are claiming. The big driver of those numbers is almost certainly fleet/base model trucks with 2.7s. We can't come to any meaningful conclusions on this topic without the full picture. Until then, it's just marketing hype, which is really important when you are trying to push V6s in full size trucks.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's fine that they don't want to release but I don't think it's for the reason you are claiming. The big driver of those numbers is almost certainly fleet/base model trucks with 2.7s. We can't come to any meaningful conclusions on this topic without the full picture. Until then, it's just marketing hype, which is really important when you are trying to push V6s in full size trucks.

I 100% agree with you that Ford is pushing the EB hard and I have no doubt that is why it is the only engine option in their most coveted tuck. If the EB is good enough for the Raptor, then it is surely good enough for Joe in his XLT. They would be sabotaging that message if they released a V8 Raptor.

Ford is more than willing to disappoint a small number of potential Raptor buyers in order to further their EB aspirations. Especially since they hired a new CEO who is supposed to make the company more like Tesla.