Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have answered these several times before, and you folks have your heads too far up your asses to actually understand it.

I must have missed those answers. Humor me, please.

It will take only a moment to answer those four simple questions.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
ford-s-crown-jewel-the-f-150-has-a-big-problem-after-overhaul

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]

Go buy a Silverado and bother them with your BS.

So, I did actually buy a new diesel work truck. After looking at and driving the Ford, I went to see what the GM duramax was all about. Honestly, the duramax felt MUCH better to drive, and pricing was $10k less than the comparable Ford. I got the duramax and really love it. The 6.2 Raptor I have is still fun as well and has been problem-free for me.

LVsFINEST

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the bigger picture. Current motor is at 450hp/510tq. Obviously a V8 offering would have to be above that. How much above would it need to be to justify the development cost? 10% would be 495/561. 25% 562/637. 10% does not seem to be worth it. 25% and you would have to look at upgrading the diffs, transfer case, trans, brakes, cooling system, suspension, etc. Now you have a top heavy truck with soft suspension on the road. I could see this pushing the MSRP well over $100k.

Best bet for a V8 in a performance truck will be in the next Gen Lightning.

Check out this article. An SVT guy basically states what you just said, and that's the reasons why the Lightening got axed. And the same logic applies to the Raptor. You can only give it so much power before you need to upgrade everything else and at some point it's not viable. They'll add a v8 option to the Raptor if they have a reason, but 'more power' ain't it.

Why Ford Axed The F-150 SVT Lightning | Ford Authority

That said, TFL Truck reported that the 5.0 w/ the 10 speed get's better gas milage than the 3.5 ecoboost as per Ford's own 'Build and Price' configurator (and we're not even talking about the HO ecoboost). Wouldn't it be great if they offered the v8 as an entry level option for the Raptor? Get's better gas mileage and you can upgrade to the HO ecoboost if you want more power.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I must have missed those answers. Humor me, please.

It will take only a moment to answer those four simple questions.

Sas77 frequently proclaimed we'd see a 2017 mid-model year V8 upgrade that would make all the EB Raptors worthless. When that was proven false, then the V8 was coming in the 2018. Wrong again.

At this point I think he's given up quoting a date because it keeps getting thrown in his face. Now all he's doing is promising us it's coming.

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ranger needs to come out first. Any extreme offroad model probably wouldn't be available until 2 years after the base model launch. That's what Ford does with the Raptor.

---------- Post added at 08:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:15 AM ----------

N/A is great in a manual transmission sports car where instant throttle response matters. But torque is more useful in a truck. I have zero interest in upgrading my N/A V8 powered M3 to the new turbo model. But I love the turbo on the Raptor when hauling the family and all our gear over 12,000ft mountain passes.

Well I haven't been on a mountain pass in my raptor but I'm pretty sure V8s and trucks go well together. Just ask Sasquatch.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mark me down for another who would buy a Gen 2 with a 5.0.

While we're living in a fantasy world...Mark me down for a V-8 with 700 NA HP that weighs as much as the EcoBoost. Of course it will get 22 MPG city and 32 highway.

This thread jumped the shark a while back (probably when ******** posted his usual bile). Now it's just silly.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I haven't been on a mountain pass in my raptor but I'm pretty sure V8s and trucks go well together. Just ask Sasquatch.

N/A loses about 2% power per 1,000 ft elevation gain. Not a big deal to flatlanders, but at 10,000 ft a N/A V8 is down 20%. That means the 6.2L is only putting out 328hp at elevation. It makes a huge difference when driving over a mountain pass loaded with people and gear.

I love N/A in a sports car, but there are so many advantages to turbocharging in a truck.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While we're living in a fantasy world...Mark me down for a V-8 with 700 NA HP that weighs as much as the EcoBoost. Of course it will get 22 MPG city and 32 highway.

This thread jumped the shark a while back (probably when ******** posted his usual bile). Now it's just silly.

Who's living in a fantasy world? I built my truck after I found out they were going to handicap the Gen 2 with an EB. And my brother and I are in the process of planning out his platinum 5.0 build.

I've already stated (in another thread, I think) that the 7.0 is only going to make 550, by the way. But it will probably weigh about the same as an EB if it has an aluminum block.

And who cares about gas mileage?