Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racerjb

Reaction score
what about the Raptor Ranger rumor...where they are putting the current EBv6 in a long travel Ranger to compete with Tacoma TRD Pro and Colorado ZR2... I foresee this first before a Gen 3 Raptor.

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
I would buy a Gen2 in a heartbeat if they just put a 5.0 in it. Current superchargers on the market would bring it up to 700hp. For me the EB was wrong fit for the Gen2 Raptor. Your going to max out at 500ish flywheel hp. Where are the 600hp tuned and modded Gen 2 Raptors ? Your still limited to fuel with direct injection and uping the boost , the dual fuel system is pointless at high boost , because if you have fuel being brought in through intake stroke then compressed on compression stroke its going to preignite. Thats the whole point of direct injection and high boost . Bring air in ,compress it then inject fuel before peak cylinder pressure. I currently own a 14 EB Tremor daily driver, its turned up to 420 hp 540 tq at the wheels. Its maxed out ,only way to get more out of it is water/ **** injection . Tremor is my first turbo truck all my other trucks are supercharged . I will be looking at a Trackhawk or Hellcat truck when they come out. Im not spending $90 grand on a V6 Raptor.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Why would you need 600 or 700 hp? That's not going to help you off road.

I guess it may help you get to Starbucks faster...

Think how much farther you could send it over the starbucks drive thru island !

@BAD454SS
I would buy a Gen2 in a heartbeat if they just put a 5.0 in it

These proclamations rarely materialize into action. I’ve seen it in politics, business and it’s everywhere on the internet. Group buys are a great place to see this proclamation. “if that widget was $50 cheaper, I’d buy it immediately”. Set up a group buy for it at $150 cheaper and you’ll still have trouble getting all the people who made the statement to do it. In fact, I’ve organized group buys and the like before and the follow through was about 5%.

Manufacturers know these statements rarely materialize into sales too. Maybe you mean it ‘SS, but who knows?

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would you need 600 or 700 hp? That's not going to help you off road.

I guess it may help you get to Starbucks faster...

But it still won't make their **** any bigger.... :ROFLJest:

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 AM ----------

Exactly right. The truck needs a reliable v8 engine that makes decent power.

Are you recommending a Chevy SB...or are we bringing back the 351C. :crazy:

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Even if it was just a standard 5L, I would buy it too. It will be interesting to see what the buying pattern will be when the other engine becomes available.

Last edited:

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see the V8 making a return in the Raptor. Ford has invested a lot into pushing the EB V6 in the F150. A Raptor with a EB V6 creates hype to justify the cost of getting an EB V6 in a standard F150. "If it's good enough for the Raptor, It's good enough for my Lariat." Dropping the EB V6 from the Raptor would kill the sales of the EB V6 in all F150s. Putting the EB V6 in the GT only helps increase the hype. Going back to a V8 would be like saying the EB V6 isn't worth getting in your standard F150. The Raptor and GT are flagship vehicles. Ford want's to sell the world on the EB V6 being their flagship motor. True or not, that is their stance.

That said, I would consider a V8 if they offered one.

Would I say I made a mistake getting my EB Raptor? No. I have a Raptor now and am enjoying it. There is no V8 option and if the unlikely day comes that they do offer one, it is still a few years away. Let's just say that the 2020 Raptor comes out with a V8 and I trade mine in. I still enjoyed mine for 3 years while other just sat and waited. And if the day never comes that they offer a V8, what do you have? (This doesn't apply to those with a Gen1, as they have a Raptor and have been enjoying it far longer than I have.)

The Mustang folks spent years debating over whether IRS was coming. It finally did, but if they waited for it, they could have spent 10+ years not enjoying the Mustangs that were currently available.

My advice is if you want one now, buy it. If something better comes along, trade it. That isn't a mistake. It's called progression.

^This.

I missed out on the first raptor for a corvette. I am glad I got my gen 2. If I could wave a magic wand I think in a raptor I would want a 500 hp N/A V8, without any active fuel management cylinder deactivation. If a V8 is what happens in the future, it's probably going to be pretty cool for most of us and I'll buy one of those next. I understand hanging onto your gen 1s and waiting. I don't get the haters that get all emotional about it.