Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
This is interesting, because I'd think that it would be torque that would tear up those bits rather than horsepower (horsepower being nothing more or less than torque at RPM). To illustrate, I offer a thought exercise- which do you think would live longer, a transmission out of a diesel F350 behind a 1000 hp turbo'd 4-banger Honda, or the Honda transmission behind a stock 440 hp Powerstroke?

Additionally, I'd think that the 76 horsepower offered by the Voodoo over the existing EB 3.5L would be more easily achieved with another few pounds of boost rather than a whole 'nother motor.

That said, I've been wrong before... but it'll sure be interesting to see.

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

The goal isn't to make anyone happy, but to give folks an opportunity to put their money (well, their FRF reputation, anyhow) where their mouth is.

You're betting that FRF rep is meaningful to people on here.

62114077.jpg

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Look at the bigger picture. Current motor is at 450hp/510tq. Obviously a V8 offering would have to be above that. How much above would it need to be to justify the development cost? 10% would be 495/561. 25% 562/637. 10% does not seem to be worth it. 25% and you would have to look at upgrading the diffs, transfer case, trans, brakes, cooling system, suspension, etc. Now you have a top heavy truck with soft suspension on the road. I could see this pushing the MSRP well over $100k.

Best bet for a V8 in a performance truck will be in the next Gen Lightning.

OP
OP
B

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're betting that FRF rep is meaningful to people on here.

Well, there's that... :ROFLJest:

Seriously, though, it at least offers a data point regarding who can be counted upon to offer meaningful interaction, and who's just here to talk shit.

There's certainly nothing wrong with taking a position, as long as you're willing to admit that you were wrong if evidence surfaces that demonstrates that fact. However, if you double-down on it like some doomsday cult (Monday: "The world is ending on Tuesday of this week." Wednesday: "The world is ending on the second Tuesday of this week."), then it's apparent that you're just mentally ************ and the results are spilling out on your keyboard.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The way it was explained in the mid April R/A was that there was only an incremental rear upgrade in the Gen2, 31 from 30 splines...

2010's came with 34 spline rears. I could have sworn I read something that said they were upgraded to 35 spline in like 12 or 13 - Wiz posted it IIRC.

Definitely not 30 to 31, our front diff is 31 spline and has been since 2010.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt Ford will put anything in the Raptor that isn't allowed in the SCORE rule books. No turbo/supercharged v8 in BAJA, no turbo/supercharged v8 in the Raptor. That doesn't mean rules can't change or that Ford won't offer a NA V8 but it's doubtful. You don't offer a 'cheap' engine option in a flagship vehicle and a NA 5.0 would offer less than the HO TT3.5 - JMHO

SCORE rewrites the rule book all the time, they will accommodate Ford if need be.

WarSurfer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
SCORE rewrites the rule book all the time, they will accommodate Ford if need be.

It could happen, like it did with the ecoboost. I'm just saying it won't be an out of the blue announcement, like 'surprise, in '18 you get a supercharged v8'. There will be a mule that will be tested, probably raced, etc. An evolution just like with the 1st Gen and the ecoboost.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
2010's came with 34 spline rears. I could have sworn I read something that said they were upgraded to 35 spline in like 12 or 13 - Wiz posted it IIRC.

Definitely not 30 to 31, our front diff is 31 spline and has been since 2010.
Thanks for the correction ! It is entirely possible my count is incorrect.