Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well just keep living in the little make believe world you live in. You are clueless what Ford has done over the last 15 years with the commitment $$$ to the ringy dingy motors.

Poor kid it is about many things in which your young little inexperienced mind has no grasp of. Some day you will understand if you are lucky. For now you just keep crapping yellow.:biggrin: I saw your post on leaf spring lol... Was the first to run the National 5 leaf on my truck plus many other mods.

There you go, herein ends the lesson.

So not only are you a moron you're a ****** who doesn't answer questions. You're now on the list.

I know very well what Ford has been doing for the last 15 years dolt.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will go a little further and suggest that the “normal” mode that the truck defaults to is downright dangerous. Unless you absolutely floor it from a low speed, it just lazily tries to boost it’s way to a faster speed like a pudgy recruit 8 miles in on a 12 mile march with full gear. I’ve observed this numerous times in normal mode at any speed above 40mph, you try to gas around some slow mover or keep some cell yakking bmw driver from cutting over and you get nothing but disappointment. Sport mode is sometimes a little too much for just hopping around though, and aggressively holds rpms no matter what.

I’ve had normal mode downshifts take over 1.5 seconds to complete from throttle input, to actual acceleration. If the truck has forced its way into 8-10th gear, it seems to have to downshift in a long, sort of “2 step “process.

The pedal commander is a good workaround, forcing boost earlier and downshifts earlier, but I still have just adopted sport mode as my go to, unless I’m specifically doing nothing but speed limit or under duty ( like driving the outer banks in touron season ).

now, when it’s responsive, and not being hobbled by programming, the truck moves out sharply. Like a buck private running desperately to make formation, where the punishment for missing or being late is latrine duty for a week. Pedal Commander is like lighting said buck private’s BDU’s on fire just prior to calling formation, but, the more aggressive you get with P/C, the more binary your throttle becomes, and it’s less traffic / off road friendly.

The impression I get from my Raptor is this isn't turbo lag but a a combination of downshifting and the ECU waiting until everything is settled before applying the power. With traditional turbo-lag, you feel and hear the engine strain before the boost kicks in. I find it takes a second before the power is even applied. This must be Ford's way of pampering the gearbox and drivetrain.

The unfortunate thing for V8 holdouts is a new engine won't solve this ECU/10spd mandated lag.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The impression I get from my Raptor is this isn't turbo lag but a a combination of downshifting and the ECU waiting until everything is settled before applying the power. With traditional turbo-lag, you feel and hear the engine strain before the boost kicks in. I find it takes a second before the power is even applied. This must be Ford's way of pampering the gearbox and drivetrain.

The unfortunate thing for V8 holdouts is a new engine won't solve this ECU/10spd mandated lag.

yes, I agree. It’s not the hair dryers spooling, it’s the programming that dulls the throttle response and downshift pattern. If you put the pedal commander to race mode, you’ll see just how little mechanical turbo-lag there is.

Grizlbits

Reaction score
yes, I agree. It’s not the hair dryers spooling, it’s the programming that dulls the throttle response and downshift pattern. If you put the pedal commander to race mode, you’ll see just how little mechanical turbo-lag there is.

I agree, this has nothing to do with the motor or transmission. It is the nanny state making sure you want full power. This is a throttle by wire / programmed delay issue. It does suck when you want to make a quick pass, pull out, and have to wait 2 seconds for the truck to apply the power. Sport mode rips your head back when it shifts, so its not the motor and transmission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will this engine make it into the Raptor?

From today's WSJ: (sub req)

Bill Ford Thinks His Company Lacks Vision—and That He Can Fix It
Ford Motor executive chairman Bill Ford this spring led a management shake-up to shift the company faster into electric vehicles, self-driving cars and ride-sharing services. “The role we’re in now requires us to stick our necks out,” he says in an interview.

Does this sound like leadership that will yield to the demands of a niche petrol-head group? Even if there were plans for a V8 Raptor, the new CEO will probably nix them.

IMO we will be lucky if the Raptor sticks around for a G3 and isn't replaced by some self-driving, tree-hugging, hybrid pickup based on a unibody SUV platform and made out of plant waste.