Serious questions for those who are convinced that an Ecoboost replacement is coming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have no idea. Seems unlikely. I don't get why they wouldn't make it the base engine and then upcharge for the far more powerful 3.5, though. Seems like a win win to me.

Powertrain QA is a *****. just because the engine works in an SUV, or your top of the line sports car, doesn’t mean it will necessarily perform well in a truck that everyone knows, there is some nutcase out there who will fill the bed full of lead ingots stacked to cab height and drive it through the Mojave desert with 4 of their best friends.

suspension will have changes as a result of a different power plant configuration - even if everything else is the same, the balance point, weight distribution, accessory placement, heat insulation, hood clearance, spring rates, shock damping all has to be spec’d, tested, QA’d, compliance tested, crash tested and this is just the first phase of testing.

The company that’s bringing us a Mustang GT with a 4 second 0-60, and F150 Raptor with no actual, direct competition lacks vision? The company that didn’t have to be bailed out by the government?

ok... but I’m thinking #morefakenews.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From today's WSJ: (sub req)

Bill Ford Thinks His Company Lacks Vision—and That He Can Fix It

Ford Motor executive chairman Bill Ford this spring led a management shake-up to shift the company faster into electric vehicles, self-driving cars and ride-sharing services. “The role we’re in now requires us to stick our necks out,” he says in an interview.

Does this sound like leadership that will yield to the demands of a niche petrol-head group? Even if there were plans for a V8 Raptor, the new CEO will probably nix them.

IMO we will be lucky if the Raptor sticks around for a G3 and isn't replaced by some self-driving, tree-hugging, hybrid pickup based on a unibody SUV platform and made out of plant waste.

Those moves are for revenue diversity and to develop products where regulations don't force you to struggle to make a 10% margin and negative margin on vehicles consumers don't buy but regulations force you to build.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those moves are for revenue diversity and to develop products where regulations don't force you to struggle to make a 10% margin and negative margin on vehicles consumers don't buy but regulations force you to build.

In the article it says Bill Ford fully beleives in this alternative stuff and has been pushing for it for the last two decades. He finally stopped allowing the board of directors to talk him out of following his vision. He controlls 17% of the voting stock and the Ford family has 40%, so it is going to happen no matter what the regulations are. He engineered the ousting of the last CEO so I expect the new one will follow his marching orders.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the article it says Bill Ford fully beleives in this alternative stuff and has been pushing for it for the last two decades. He finally stopped allowing the board of directors to talk him out of following his vision. He controlls 17% of the voting stock and the Ford family has 40%, so it is going to happen no matter what the regulations are. He engineered the ousting of the last CEO so I expect the new one will follow his marching orders.

Things are never as black and white as folks are led to believe. If he didn't believe in it obviously he wouldn't be doing it. Just don't assume it means abandoning the core auto business.

Trust me on this one Smurf.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Powertrain QA is a *****. just because the engine works in an SUV, or your top of the line sports car, doesn’t mean it will necessarily perform well in a truck that everyone knows, there is some nutcase out there who will fill the bed full of lead ingots stacked to cab height and drive it through the Mojave desert with 4 of their best friends.

suspension will have changes as a result of a different power plant configuration - even if everything else is the same, the balance point, weight distribution, accessory placement, heat insulation, hood clearance, spring rates, shock damping all has to be spec’d, tested, QA’d, compliance tested, crash tested and this is just the first phase of testing.

The company that’s bringing us a Mustang GT with a 4 second 0-60, and F150 Raptor with no actual, direct competition lacks vision? The company that didn’t have to be bailed out by the government?

ok... but I’m thinking #morefakenews.

Fake new? No man, more like #veryfakenews #cnnlevelfakenews #thenewsastoldbyasmurfbrain #nopathtovictory #rachelmaddow

Don't be so dramatic. The 5.0 is already in the F150. No crash testing would be required, nor would most of the rest of the crap you mentioned. Shock valving and spring rates? Sure. But that's not hard. They'd also need to reprogram those silly drive modes. Again, not hard. And ideally they'd sell the truck without them, anyway. #marketinghype

The minimal development costs would easily be offset with sales. The 3.5 EB and 5.0 sell in roughly the same numbers across the rest of the platform. No reason to believe a 5.0 wouldn't be extremely popular in the Raptor.

I agree their eye is on the future. But if you think a 450 horsepower gas motor is the future then your vision isn't very good.

Also, 0-60 times are nonsense marketing hype and you automatically know anyone who quotes them is either 12 or just... well... really ******* stupid.

:specialed:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Things are never as black and white as folks are led to believe. If he didn't believe in it obviously he wouldn't be doing it. Just don't assume it means abandoning the core auto business.

Trust me on this one Smurf.

Ford shareholders are enviously looking at Tesla and Uber whose money losing businesses are worth significantly more than Ford. Don't be so sure they won't abandon their core business to follow these "innovators" down the rabbit hole. Ford's never been more profitable, but that wasn't enough to save the last CEO's job.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Fake new? No man, more like #veryfakenews #cnnlevelfakenews #thenewsastoldbyasmurfbrain #nopathtovictory #rachelmaddow

Don't be so dramatic. The 5.0 is already in the F150. No crash testing would be required, nor would most of the rest of the crap you mentioned. Shock valving and spring rates? Sure. But that's not hard. They'd also need to reprogram those silly drive modes. Again, not hard. And ideally they'd sell the truck without them, anyway. #marketinghype

The minimal development costs would easily be offset with sales. The 3.5 EB and 5.0 sell in roughly the same numbers across the rest of the platform. No reason to believe a 5.0 wouldn't be extremely popular in the Raptor.

I agree their eye is on the future. But if you think a 450 horsepower gas motor is the future then your vision isn't very good.

Also, 0-60 times are nonsense marketing hype and you automatically know anyone who quotes them is either 12 or just... well... really ******* stupid.

:specialed:

The 5 oh is in the base F150 with a different frame, so yes, it would need to be crash tested. Anything that could potentially impact crashworthiness implicates testing. Drive modes, though I think they should be reprogrammed or at least should have some preference options, there is just too much market pressure for this for Ford to ignore. I wouldn’t mind a simpler version of the Rap without all the various modes, but I’d be concerned they would make it a watered down sport mode or a barely tolerable, enhanced normal mode, which is way too soft on the Raptor.

The 5 liter is a good motor, nothing wrong with it, but, the torque curve is way under the current and previous Rap power plants.

Some 12 y.o. or just really stupid people here, for sure:
Mustang GT Goes 0-To-60 in 4 Seconds

Along with 5 consecutive pages on internet search engines citing the same data. Maybe they’re all stupid, or 12, or, maybe not.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The 5 oh is in the base F150 with a different frame, so yes, it would need to be crash tested. Anything that could potentially impact crashworthiness implicates testing. Drive modes, though I think they should be reprogrammed or at least should have some preference options, there is just too much market pressure for this for Ford to ignore. I wouldn’t mind a simpler version of the Rap without all the various modes, but I’d be concerned they would make it a watered down sport mode or a barely tolerable, enhanced normal mode, which is way too soft on the Raptor.

The 5 liter is a good motor, nothing wrong with it, but, the torque curve is way under the current and previous Rap power plants.

Some 12 y.o. or just really stupid people here, for sure:
Mustang GT Goes 0-To-60 in 4 Seconds

Along with 5 consecutive pages on internet search engines citing the same data. Maybe they’re all stupid, or 12, or, maybe not.

I said it's marketing hype and you linked me to a Ford marketing page. Seems like we are in agreement.

I doubt very much the 5.0 would need to be crash tested in the Raptor. It's just a different combination of parts already in use (and crash tested). If I'm wrong the cost would still be minimal relative to the sales. And profits.