One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
This past weekend I did my first road trip. A whopping 200 miles round trip. I averaged 17.3 mpg (miles/gallons). Not bad considering I had about 500lbs of gear in the bed and 2000ft of elevation change each way.

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The huge variation in mileage reports seems crazy to me... I get all the factors that go into it, etc, etc.. I guess I just expected a bit more consistency between scenarios i.e. highway, city, off road.

If i could average 14+ that would be great, 90% of my driving is flat terrain, highway and some rural back roads with speeds never exceeding 70mph (mostly in the 55-65mph range). I consider myself to not have a heavy foot, but it isn't light either since my typical acceleration is between 2500-3000 rpm. I am having to step back and look harder at what might be possible with a raptor since my commute was 100+ miles some days and will be expanding to 200+ miles some days. Rarely do I have a commute less than 100 miles.

I get tired of hearing the stories 'if you can afford a raptor, you can afford the gas', 'smiles per gallon', etc, etc... that's all great, but I live in the real world where I don't want to spend my life's savings on gas or be spending 8-10k a year just on gas.

I love the Raptor, and realize some of the cards are stacked against it when it comes to mpg's, but as decision time nears for me I am taking a much harder look into the possibilities of what I could expect given my conditions. I am even trying to track down owners in my area just to talk with them about their experiences so far. it's not all about mpg's, but that is a major thing I need to consider given my career choice at the moment.

SaintsFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would not purchase a Raptor to commute such long daily distances. You would be much better served with the Ecoboost.

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, I would not purchase a Raptor to commute such long daily distances. You would be much better served with the Ecoboost.

That is the thing, I am reading wildly varying reports on EB mileages post break in period. Some folks with a 4x4 3.73 gearing setup can't break 16 mpgs highway, others are seeing 20 with same setup on the highway. Not to mention I would end up giving a regular truck a more aggressive stance that had some attitude, which in the end will detract from the mileage.

This is why the raptor is still appealing to me, it already has the stance I LOVE and it seems that it can be had to get decent highway mileage.

I know.. I am trying to have my cake and eat it too.. One suggestion to me some months ago was to change careers, which I am actively open to and seeking it just ain't happening quickly.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You just gotta get a Japanese beater. Should be able to find a 30mpg car without too much trouble or money.
You will regret trading off the Raptor (IMO).

FX4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just gotta get a Japanese beater. Should be able to find a 30mpg car without too much trouble or money.
You will regret trading off the Raptor (IMO).

Due to some of the equipment we carry and the occasional trailer (few and far between), it has to be a pickup. I am not against a regular F150, just much prefer the Raptors appearance, stance, and everything about the damn truck!!

TreeDawg7

Reaction score
Bojangles.. HAHAHA! That is funny as hell!!! I agree with you! Why talk milage when you drive a Raptor? So what if I'm at the pump more than anyone else!!! All that means to me is... Ive had a whole lot more fun than you!!!
Well worth it.

Banned
Reaction score
So, gas mileage eh, I was just getting about 2 mpg's hahaha

Was driving for literally 5 minutes, guage went from half a tank to E.

-Posted with my iPhone.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but talking about a 4x4's fuel economy is like talking about a Prius's performance. Nobody in his right mind buys a 4x4 - any 4x4 - for fuel economy, they buy it for capability. If you're disappointed by a 4x4's fuel economy after the purchase, it can mean one and only one thing - you don't know your own mind.

Shit, if you want to be married to the modern equivalent of Marie Currie, do not marry Megan Fox. If you seek spiritual enlightenment, don't go to a strip club. And if what gets you all hot and bothered is figuring your fuel economy every time you're at the gas station, don't buy a 4x4 and do see if you can get a used ***** at a hock shop real cheap because you need one.

I love this site. I'm a reject from the "Z" and this is a terrific place. But this thread isn't merely lame, stupid, or ill considered. It's *****. (The old fashioned meaning of the term, of course, for those who remember.)