4WD/Transfer Case/Front diff Banging and Grinding Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, because they’re connected through the differential.

Not likely, as the front driveshaft spins freely in 2WD. So no transfer case engagement.

So that’s definitely an issue; the axle should spin freely with vacuum applied. However, if one IWE is damaged and stays engaged, it may cause drag on the other axle.
Thank you for your insight and response!

For one thing, you should NOT engage in 4WD at highway speeds on hard-surface roads, PERIOD! This is per the manual, which explicitly states that it "can produce excessive noise...". So you've got two significant factors that could cause the mechanical issues you're describing by driving at excessive speeds beyond the design of the 4WD system, and while driving on dry pavement. Sounds may be more pronounced when turning the steering wheel, even the the slightest turn. Remember: we have 4WD and NOT AWD, which the latter is designed to operate at all times and conditions, on all types of surfaces.

Right. I never use or engage 4wd at highway speeds. Maybe I should have clarified that I slowed down to about 30mph when the noise started and engaged 4wd for the sole purposed of seeing if that would stop the noise and it did make it stop. Otherwise I would never even be moving when engaging 4wd, let alone doing it at highway speeds.

I'm really new to all this, but I'm having a similar but less violent issue. Could it be that the IWEs aren't properly engaging and disengaging even with the right amount of vacuum just because they (or something connecting to them) needs to be lubricated?

Yeah it seems possible. I replaced an IWE years ago and did quite a bit of research on the correct procedures on how to do so. And @FordTechOne stated the same things earlier in this thread.
In any event, if that procedure is not followed correctly, that seems like it could cause problems and it seems that is probably the case with me. I had work done to the truck a short while ago that required removing the IWE and putting it back on but not replacing it with a new one. Possible it wasn't done correctly.

All of this to say, I am having both IWE's replaced today and will be sure to report back with my findings!

Thanks again everyone for all your help and insight

Last edited:
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
So, got the IWE's replaced, wheel hub assemblies, and transfer case fluid. Shop that did the work showed me the old IWE's and they were indeed broken. The green plastic internal piece on the driver side IWE was broken and they confirmed my findings that both IWE's would not disengage.

Stuck my camera underneath the truck again after getting it back and axles and transfer case driveshaft are no longer turning when in 2wd! So that is fixed.

Went to a decently rough off road trail today to test the truck out and did NOT get any noises returning so it seems as though the problem has been fixed!

I did review the footage taken over the past month and a half and noticed that the noise I first heard about 6 weeks ago sounds very different then the noise I was getting last week. I think the initial diagnosis with the transmission mount causing the loud banging noise was actually correct and I was just unlucky enough to get IWE problems just a few weeks later, causing the noise more associated with that problem.

In any even it seems as though the truck is fixed again and in working order! Another plus is that I was even able to hit a small jump (maybe 6 inches off the ground) for the first time! I would not have even known the truck left the ground if it werent for the camera! Im starting to really like the camera under the truck.

Thank you again for all your help. This community rocks