One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IoN6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2L with 1500 miles. I get around 9.7 when I baby it running 91 oct mostly city driving. I thinks its not broken in yet. But i cant stand the thought of having a $50,000 offroading truck and putting in cheaper gas if there was 97 oct out here I would put it in. They have 100 oct down by me about 20 mins away but I usually dont go there. What gas mileage does everyone get when they take it offroading and haul ass?

You know how octane works, right? The higher the octane the harder it is to ignite the fuel. The cost of the truck has zero to do with the fuel rating required to run it. There is no correlation between high octane fuel and high performance, other than the fact that high performance engines run high compression ratios which require a fuel that is not going to ignite on the compression up stroke. Simply putting high octane fuel in your "low performance" engine is not going to change that to high performance.

But hey, if you want to drop and extra $.20/gallon or $7+/tank then be my guest.

Last edited:

moodster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a round trip from Pittsburgh,Pa to Montreal,Qc,ran 91 and 93 mix of fuel.I drive 5to 7 over the speed limit,got 16.2,1300 mile round trip.

LEGORAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh Yaaa

BentToast, great call.

Other forums are littered with dozens and dozens of threads about gas mileage. It's downright annoying to sift through.

As BentToast stated, this will be the one and only gas mileage thread.

any new threads created about mpg's will be moved here by a member of the staff. I'm quite positive that none of you want 47 threads about gas mileage on this forum.

For the record, I run 91 Octane in my 6.2, love mashing the go pedal, I have 6,200 miles, I have never reset my mpg calculator, and mine currently reads 11.3 mpg.

I like your sense of driving Mr. Bojangles. We're getting the same MPG!! AAAUUUUUUGAAAA

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated mileage after six months and 19,000miles in a 2011, 6.2L SCrew: I drive 70-75 miles a day (about 60 miles on the highway at 70-75mph) and for most of the last six months, my average fuel economy has been 12.9mpg on 87 octane. In the last couple weeks (1500 miles), the average has been 13.4mpg on the same commute with the same refueling stations. With no change in driving habits or changes to the truck, I'm wondering if local fuel formulations have changed.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
have you tried dropping your speed down to 65-70? that makes a huge difference on the 5.4. 65 sounds and seems slow, but only takes like 1 min longer for me to get 24 miles. At 65 I average 20mpg, and its really hilly. The same road at 75 I only average 14.5

gcmj45acp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried dropping your speed down to 65-70? that makes a huge difference on the 5.4. 65 sounds and seems slow, but only takes like 1 min longer for me to get 24 miles. At 65 I average 20mpg, and its really hilly. The same road at 75 I only average 14.5

Driving 65-70mph on this particular stretch of road will get a Smart Car stuck under your rear bumper or a Peterbuilt's bumper stuck in your backseat so no, I haven't tried dropping the speed that much. Also, the only time I've seen a 6.2L SCrew bust 20mpg without a tailwind or downhill has been at speeds below 50mph.

Smokinjo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im averaging 9.9 in mostly city driving now. Doesnt help I let it idle for a bit with the remote start and AC on full blast prior to gettin in either. What can I say, i like it cool inside. I did get 14.5 on a road trip. All being said, apparently my right foot accounts for 75% of my body weight when driving my truck. oh well it sure is fun...

MadRussian

Reaction score
91 performance tune from 5-star, running Shell 93 octane, the rest of the truck is stock.
14.8 average, with 50/50 highway/city, driving with cruise set at 65mph.

Will try 87 economy next and let you know next week.