Intercooler... does it give you horsepower?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EcoRaptor13

Reaction score
funny funny

I don't really see any benefit with stock turbos ... i think it's more cosmetic and looks bad ass for now !!!

I'm getting a kick out of this thread. this topic really.. So, i was a V8 guy forever like most of y'all, and on a 2013 test drive at FORD i drove the Gen 1 raptor and then the salesman forced me (lol) to drive an FX2 EcoBoost f150. I hardly made it out of the lot and had already chosen it over the 6.2 V8 4x4. it was nimble, and "magic carpet" was the first thought. it had SO MUCH punch. and silent! it was like a star-wars vehicle; no noise and ZOOOOOOOM! i chose to make a raptor, based around that engine. Its been a long ride but I've "pioneered" the V6 turbo world, and through trial and error, a few subaru mechanics and forums and research, i've really learned a lot. FIRSTLY- a TURBO ENGINE IS A GIANT OVEN! Heat from the turbos AND the Cats is kind of "at the edge" from the factory. tuning it with the SCT X4 adds a quick 40 hp. maybe more. but it also adds H.E.A.T! i was overheating constantly. ridiculous. then came the intercooler. this helps reduce the inlet air temp to REALLY pack a punch. maybe not noticeable with stock tune, but with the MPT tune, you're adding easily 10HP with the Full-Race giant intercooler. (whipple claims 4-9 HP) but the main thing about the intercooler is the recovery time. But i was STILL overheating. we removed the CATs and went from 1900* transmission-wiring-melting EGT (BTW, have you installed your A-pillar gauges yet? EGT and BOOST gauges are a MUST) down to a 1200* highway temp @ 75mph. (idles at 800* EGT) and 1000* at 65mph. The best addition was the larger, bad ass EFR turbos from Full-Race. they make so much boost, they are set to dump at wastegate at 16psi boost. (stock turbos went to 22psi ) turbos definitely added torque and reduced lag. (I think i now have what y'all have, turbo-wise). you really MUST add the PCV delete catch can from Full Race. Read up on turbo engines and PCV valves. No-No. kills valves.

Also, after you've added the cold air intake of your choice, the best intercooler (mounted down low, like stock. NOT in front of the a/C condensor!) tuned it, added the 3" Full-Race down pipe, muffler of your choice, PCV delete catch can, then add your Water/**** unit. (snow performance) THIS sucka makes an EASY 30HP. its CRAZY! and really helps in a variety of ways. cleans valves, etc. just use mildly. guys max them out and wind up damaging bottom ends because it allows you to power-bog your engine and put too much force on the crank, rods, and bearings. But just set to a mild level, the WATER/**** is incredible! STILL- we added DUAL engine oil coolers, and a transmission cooler in the bed, to help reduce heatsoak. this also reduces the heat-wicking load from the Full-Race aluminum radiator.

what i've found is- each mod adds a little HP & TQ, so a bunch of mods = a bunch of HP&TQ. BUT REMEMBER, HEAT=ENERGY ...my Gen 1 is now putting 510HP and 580TQ to the rear wheels. SUPER FUN! the BORLA MUFFLER SOUNDS GREAT as well.

Also- my stock gas mileage during break in was 15.5mpg combined. i would see 25 on the freeway and 11 in the city. NOW, up off the ground, no front air dam and factory aerodynamics, 37" tires, (basically every engine mod save for exhaust manifold, con-rods and pistons), i'm seeing 14.5mpg combined. i live at the top of a 2500ft mountain. its a 10 min drive from sea level to 2100 ft. and i do it every day. lately I've been seeing 14mpg without freeway time factored. i should try a tankful of gas without the lead foot i suppose

Attachments

• IMG_8306.jpg
    IMG_8306.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8300.jpg
    IMG_8300.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8298.jpg
    IMG_8298.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1272.jpg
    IMG_1272.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3158.jpg
    IMG_3158.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

jgree32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$450?! Really?

http://www.vr-speed.com/vrsf-7-front-mount-intercooler-fmic-kit-135i-335i-n54-e82-e90-e92.html
Of course first intercoolers to come out for N54 engine were $1k
But once VRSF hit the N54 market they took off.
They also did 3" downpipes (catless) for like $350 which was unheard of.
I actually paid less for the intercooler since I provided him the first review of it and before/after datalogs.

racerjb

Reaction score
ecoraptor,

can you explain more on this...you definitely have a lot of experience with this stuff...

The Whipple is down low and I was thinking that in debris/dust/silt this could be a negative...but then I wasn't sure what it blocks if mounted above like the Full Race/ADD..

Thanks..

Also, after you've added the cold air intake of your choice, the best intercooler (mounted down low, like stock. NOT in front of the a/C condensor!) tuned it,

Last edited:

ipeefreely

Reaction score
By itself, a aftermarket intercooler will add little to no horsepower. They're usually done in conjunction with other mods (turbos, engine builds...etc...) usually because more power = more heat = need to cool better.

At this stage, most intercooler upgrades are done for looks.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So many people on this forum are so grossly misinformed that I almost can't believe it sometimes.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.”

Mark Twain