Help Please Bad Turbo 1500 miles from home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck does fall in the range for the TSB… Unfortunately the warranty aged out two years ago and miles out on this trip. I did pull the PCV and its was spotless.
That’s concerning, because that’s the exact issue. The valve cover passages don’t allow proper PCV operation, causing excessive crankcase pressure, which leads to oil consumption.

Not sure what valve you’re referring to as EGR; these trucks didn’t get an EGR system until 2021.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
That’s concerning, because that’s the exact issue. The valve cover passages don’t allow proper PCV operation, causing excessive crankcase pressure, which leads to oil consumption.

Not sure what valve you’re referring to as EGR; these trucks didn’t get an EGR system until 2021.
EGR was a mental glitch on my part… (Have edited the post to PCV)

YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION with the PCV comment!! My assumption was that an oiled up PCV valve would hint at a problem not a perfectly clean one!

Dumb question: I’m 200KM away from the dealer and can’t get to them for at least three days for various reasons… Can the faulty valve covers be modified/corrected? (Assuming the baffles leading to the PCV area are closed off)

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EGR was a mental glitch on my part… (Have edited the post to PCV)

YOU HAVE MY FULL ATTENTION with the PCV comment!! My assumption was that an oiled up PCV valve would hint at a problem not a perfectly clean one!

Dumb question: I’m 200KM away from the dealer and can’t get to them for at least three days for various reasons… Can the faulty valve covers be modified/corrected? (Assuming the baffles leading to the PCV area are closed off)
Unfortunately no, the issue is in the valve covers, the only way to fix it is to replace both valve covers.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
Unfortunately no, the issue is in the valve covers, the only way to fix it is to replace both valve covers.
Got it.

Now my next question: Other than keeping a close eye on the oil level is there any reason I cant finish the trip and get it fixed at home?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got it.

Now my next question: Other than keeping a close eye on the oil level is there any reason I cant finish the trip and get it fixed at home?
The blow by and oil consumption is definitely concerning, but if you drive it easy it might be ok.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your valve covers are causing the issue described in the TSB, it could very well be causing the excess oil consumption. Which would be exacerbated under the higher load of towing the trailer due to working the engine harder.