Help Please Bad Turbo 1500 miles from home

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. The info is helping.

Have not pulled any plugs yet but did focus on the “How is it performing” question.

Just went out and did 5 0-60 runs using the Accessport timer.

Best run was just over 10s ☹️

Didn’t notice oil smoke but the tail pipes look like a Cummins…

Here is the kicker, the truck doesn’t feel all that much slower than when it was new. It also always had slightly sooty exhaust tips.

More questions than answers from that exercise.

Going to read the plugs when the engine cools off.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
As mentioned, it sounds like the PVC is oiling the dirty side of the filter.

Edit: Raptor is not ment for towing. How does it drive without a trailer? Have you checked the wasted gate springs? Use the search function and look for IWE.
From what I can see there is no engine connection on the dirty side of the air filter.

Towing wise the trailer we are pulling is less than 6K#. That’s 2000 pounds under the max recommended size. It also is likely that the towing limit is a function of the springs on the Raptors and not any drivetrain related components.

Going to read up on waste gate springs now

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im still confused as to how the dirty side of the air filter would ever get oil on it unless a cooler of some sort or oil line in front of an air intake let loose. I don't think there is any oil lines or anything forward of the air intake though.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely a strange situation. As mentioned, a restricted air filter will result in turbocharger damage, which is what it sounds like has caused occurred.

What is the build date of your truck? Regarding the oil consumption, trucks built before 9-11-20 have a TSB for that issue which involves a valve cover replacement and/or a new calibration. Towing will exacerbate an existing issue.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
Im still confused as to how the dirty side of the air filter would ever get oil on it unless a cooler of some sort or oil line in front of an air intake let loose. I don't think there is any oil lines or anything forward of the air intake though.
Can’t be sure of this but here is the theory.

I use have used a Jiffy Lube and the dealer for oil changes, alternating every 5K miles. They Jiffy guys like to pull the filter and show you how dirty its looks… The oiled area has a hard defined edge, the kind of edge you would get if you sat the filter down on a surface with oil spilled on it.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
Definitely a strange situation. As mentioned, a restricted air filter will result in turbocharger damage, which is what it sounds like has caused occurred.

What is the build date of your truck? Regarding the oil consumption, trucks built before 9-11-20 have a TSB for that issue which involves a valve cover replacement and/or a new calibration. Towing will exacerbate an existing issue.
The truck does fall in the range for the TSB… Unfortunately the warranty aged out two years ago and miles out on this trip. I did pull the PCV and its was spotless.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t be sure of this but here is the theory.

I use have used a Jiffy Lube and the dealer for oil changes, alternating every 5K miles. They Jiffy guys like to pull the filter and show you how dirty its looks… The oiled area has a hard defined edge, the kind of edge you would get if you sat the filter down on a surface with oil spilled on it.
200.gif
Going to have to keep an eye on the state inspection boys when they do this every single time.

OP
OP
S

squeezer

Reaction score
Trouble Shooting so far:

Pulled and checked all cold side plumbing. No issues there at all. Intercooler tubes had less oil than expected.

Let the truck cool over night and then hit it again this morning.

Pulled and checked the PCV valve. Clean, dry and functioning. (As good as the rattle test can determine anyway)

Pulled a plug, clean and dry.

Checked for blow-by into the crankcase with the paper towel test. Very light pulsing as expected.

Held a paper towel over the exhaust pipes and had Emmet gun the truck. No smoke or soot on the paper towel.

Coolant is clean and still holding pressure after sitting for hours.

My experience is from non DI engines so the assumptions could be flat wrong but hear me out The cold side being clean, the EGR being spotless, and the plugs being clean (?????) say that the oil is going out the hot side of the turbo. There is likely a bunch of oil in the cat and muffler. The power loss is from the cat getting fouled (????).

I also hooked the Accessport up and flashed the lower octane tow tune. The 0-60 times dropped from the 10’s into the 7’s… Not sure what this info tells us however.

Going to do some hot side exploration tomorrow

Last edited:

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plugged air filter , can really screw things up . Was it checked before you headed out? Plugged filter will over speed turbos , like putting hand over vacuum cleaner . It will try a draw air in from everywhere , especially the crank case along with oil . I would get oil changed at a dealer and have them cut filter open for inspection be present to witness the filter cut open . That will at least give you some knowledge what's happening in the engine . Your 0 to 60 should be at least in 6 second range . If everything checks out , i would finish journey home. But have a game plan if something happens , renting a truck to finish vacation and a transport to get raptor home .