Drove a Gen 2 for the first time - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlue20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really good comments here - thank you!

So the 2019 I looked at is not at a Ford dealer and it does not qualify for Ford ESP, which directs me to https://warrantyrev.com. Those warranties are not cheap but they don't date back to the in-service date like the ones from Ford. I told the sales person about that, the cam phasers, shocks etc. and they said they'd price it aggressively if I wanted to buy it. Whatever that means. They've had it for about 2.5 months on the lot now. I could try to get an OASIS report from a Ford dealer but not sure if they do these as random "favors" but wouldn't hurt to ask.

The transmission replacement is a plus IMO. Yes, the first one was probably a bad one but getting an almost new one and covering it under an extended warranty should be fine.

Interesting to hear that with the 2020, the cam phaser issue has been resolved I guess? If looking for a 2020 is the best way to go, maybe going for a 2021 Gen 3 is the better "value"?

The potholes in my area are pretty bad but of course you don't "need" a Raptor to navigate them. The "cool"-factor/looks is definitely something that is swaying me towards a Raptor. I have a Mach 1 manual that I do HPDE events with so I am definitely someone that enjoys exciting/emotional vehicles.

I'll drive a regular F150 at a Ford dealer tomorrow and curious to see how that goes.
The later 2020 have the updated cam phasers. My ‘20 is a September build and has been flawless. I’m just under 40k miles. I’m a long time truck owner, and not just Fords. For me the Raptor (mine is 802A with Pano roof) is my favorite vehicle, and I’ve had MANY.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m open to it but I don’t tow so I guess I don’t “need” it. However, since the 2.7 is the base engine, there seem to be a lot less Lariats with that engine. From my research (please feel free to disagree):
- 2.7 is more reliable
- 2.7 gets better gas mileage
- 2.7 has more pep from a stop (smaller turbos spool up faster)
Reliability is basically the same for 2021+ 2.7/3.5models. If you don’t need the extra power and towing capability, fuel economy is definitely a benefit to the 2.7.
Downside could be:
- in case I decide to tow later, the 2.7 is of course worse than the 3.5
- maybe the 3.5 holds its value slightly better ‘cause more people want it?
There is quite a big difference in maximum towing capacity between the two engines. Definitely something to consider, reference the Ford RV & Trailer Towing guide:

I also briefly considered the hybrid but I don’t do much city driving and that’s where it’s seems to shine plus the added complication of the hybrid system and battery
Yes, the Hybrid’s 2 main advantages are city fuel efficiency and the Pro-Power onboard. If those don’t apply to you there’s not much advantage.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Fully agree and that’s why I track (road course) my Mach 1 manual, which kind of satisfies my need for spirited driving. On the other hand, the Raptor can be tame but also a beast. I’m still torn. Good problem to have!
Loved my 04 Mach1, least amount of mods I ever did to one of my 6 Mustangs but I did put 4.10 gears in it and it was a 5 speed. Magnaflow exhaust and believe I had a Bassani X pipe on that one. But when the 5.0 came back out I was at the dealership....traded it in.

OP
OP
D

derklink

Reaction score
Loved my 04 Mach1, least amount of mods I ever did to one of my 6 Mustangs but I did put 4.10 gears in it and it was a 5 speed. Magnaflow exhaust and believe I had a Bassani X pipe on that one. But when the 5.0 came back out I was at the dealership....traded it in.
Sweet! Really like those. I love my 2021 Mach 1. So capable for what it is.

Attachments

• IMG_5610.jpeg
    IMG_5610.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
D

derklink

Reaction score
Very Nice, last one I had was a 15 Comp Orange GT with a Procharger, full exhaust, 20" rims, lowered, killer sound system...of course. Been itching for another and looking at the 14 Shelby and S550 350's/500's.

View attachment 467182View attachment 467184
Very nice and what a great color! I bought a ProCharger and sold my ‘16 GT before I could install it, so will never know. I was on the fence with a GT350 but the potential Voodoo issues spooked me so I played it safe with the Mach

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Very nice and what a great color! I bought a ProCharger and sold my ‘16 GT before I could install it, so will never know. I was on the fence with a GT350 but the potential Voodoo issues spooked me so I played it safe with the Mach
Always been a fan of the color, had a nice twin screw 04 Comp Orange Terminator as well.

tty.jpg

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I just bought a Dark Horse in July, and it’s a HOOT.

Now, as to what truck you buy, I guess be honest with yourself about
whether you’re going to tow or not, and if so, how much
how much commuting vs. fun stuff.
let’s be honest, the Raptor is underused by most but... there’s that added capability that the Raptor brings to the table, that if you decide to go off road in any way, it will likely be a bit more enjoyable.

That said, if previous messages help, the tremor sounds like a good potential fit...

DPGT

Reaction score
Cam phasers information. If the Raptor you are looking at did have phasers installed they aren’t the old ones especially given it’s a 19. Your poss buy would have 20+ updated phasers installed.
As far as hunting for gears I would suggest resting the learning on the computer by removing the battery cables or just the positive for 2-3 hours and it will reset it. If you aren’t on the highway my instant thing I do is take away 4 gears. The way these ten speeds are you don’t need 10 and even highway my preferred is 8-9 unless 85 mph is how fast you drive. Others here should know this. The trans also can easily be blown if you don’t put it in tow mode and it can only take one haul to fry it.
Best of luck