Drove a Gen 2 for the first time - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So glad I don't live in Houston anymore. I was born in Stinkadina. Never lived there to drive in it but drove through it countless times. I was station in Corpus and would see it driving home to Florida. Hell with that traffic.
Yeah my wife was born in Deer Park…I know all about Pasagetdowndena.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went to Pearl Hall Elementary, Freeman Middle School and Dobbie High. Only a year in each pretty much. Grew up mostly in West Florida but lived with my sisters dad in Pasadena on and off. Not the best times of my life to say the least.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work inside the loop…I know exactly what the raptor express lane is…lol. I like that nomenclature for it…hehe. I too have Audi S4s and endless little sporty cars try to ride my ass through there and quickly realize going 40 will result in 4 bent wheels.

Your the guy that asked about fitting in B1 at 3GW right?

I think you had a 37. I did see a 35 down there recently. I don’t think I have seen a 37 on B1 yet.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your the guy that asked about fitting in B1 at 3GW right?

I think you had a 37. I did see a 35 down there recently. I don’t think I have seen a 37 on B1 yet.
Yeah thats me…Ive got a stock 35…good to know! I don’t worry about the garage, it’s the 6’6” bar that looks sketchy when I catch a ride to lunch in a regular truck.

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is 95% pavement, but the pot holes of Houston are horrible. So bad that on many streets no one usually drives in the right lane. I call it the Raptor express lane.
I lived in LA when I bought mine, and it is the greatest commuter ever. Potholes, curbs...zero f's given. Awesome.

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my third F150. I had v8 hen 3.5 and then the Raptor. All trucks were Lariat package so same trim levels.

1) raptor is the best f150 and I never regret the decision.
2) towing is 2-3 times a year and I purchased a travel trailer which fit my families needs and was not a weight issue for the raptor
3) raptors look awesome and drive awesome for a truck.
4) I was not worried about it not being a pavement 80% of the time with light of road. Who cares, raptors are NOT rare they may 10 of thousand a year.
5) every car I have owned since 2001 has needed premium so not an issue.
6) the Recaros heated/cooled works as designed and not different than my past f150’s and the wife’s RR Sport SC.

Jetjock15

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm in the market for a full size truck (have had mid-size trucks for the past 8 years) and the Raptor came onto my radar. I did a fair amount of research (Cam-Phasers, rebuilding shocks, leaking sunroof etc.) but of course needed to drive it. I have to say that I am considering everything from a regular F-150 2.7 Ecoboost to the Raptor.

Vehicle driven:
802A package
40k-ish miles
Asking price around $50k
Cam-Phasers not done yet but did not hear any rattle on cold start

Pros:
- Amazing suspension
- Surprisingly easy to maneuver (expected a semi-truck feeling)
- Powerful engine, fun to drive!
- Received a new transmission at 38k miles (this could also be a con I guess)

Cons:
- Sound was a little meh but ok
- Parking in tight spots could be challenging
- Technically "overkill" for using it 99% on the street
- B&O sound system was meh (the one in my Mustang, though not great, sounds better)
- Ventilated seats were meh (the ones in my Mustang seem to be better)
- The shifts of the 10-speed were not that smooth and seemed like it was hunting for gears; drove in normal and in sport mode
- Extended warranty absolutely necessary IMO

I have to say I'm not a 100% sold on it but maybe it is not for me. On the other hand, I have yet to drive a regular F150 to experience the difference.

Fully aware that only I can make the decision. Just looking for some advice I guess from Raptor owners and to see if I am missing anything.

All comments are welcome - thank you!
The 10 speed sucks so bad. I tried Cobb which was little better now Winfield, little better yet. But ya, always hunting. I also have a 15 f150 with 2.7 and 6 speed and it’s my go too. If I couod swap trans I would. The 6 speed is so much better. My gen 2 is fully built so I won’t be upgrading till Rs are under msrp. But if I was going to drop $50k on rpg/svc parts again, or if I could go back, I’d search the earth twice over and pay any price for a 2015 v8 6 speed f150 with low miles and build it. Wish I had known that.