GEN 2 Correct replacement phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thankfully, I escaped the ecoboost curse. Currently a 6.2 boat anchor work truck Raptor with no issues in all its time, a 6.6 Duramax, a 6.2 Tahoe RST, and a 5.8 Shelby GT500. Love each one of them, and zero mechanical issues of any kind with them.
A 3.5TT raptor is faster than everything you own besides maybe the mustang. I blew the doors off an Rst tahoe and in completely stock form, sport mode. Chevy techs are replacing cams and lifters non stop just as much if not more than cam phasers on ford. The new cylinder deactivating horseshit that Chevy came up with for the LS motors is arguably worse than Ford’s cam phaser issue.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FTM has decent content but this video is simply incorrect.

The replacement parts for 2017-2020 are prefix HL3Z and suffix CD. The 2021+ (ML3Z prefix) went to a new plant/supplier hence why they look different. There is NOT a part supersession from one to the other. The ML3Z is listed in the TSB and parts catalog as an alternative if the HL3Z isn’t available. Either one will function the same way, they are both the updated internal design.
Great info. Can you speak to why they visually look different than the original cam phasers. They appear to be sealed completely rather than an expose spring?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
If you look into the Ford parts online for the 2021 Raptor, it shows the ML3Z only. If you look up the 2018 it shows the HL3Z in the subscript and says to order the ML3Z part #. It also says they’re “not for sale” and lists no price.

It’s a bit odd, but the parts books reflect what FTM says in that the 2021+ use the ML3Z.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great info. Can you speak to why they visually look different than the original cam phasers. They appear to be sealed completely rather than an expose spring?
They’re not actually sealed, there’s just a metal cover over the spring. When parts change suppliers or plants they often need to make changes to accommodate different manufacturing equipment.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FTM has decent content but this video is simply incorrect.

The replacement parts for 2017-2020 are prefix HL3Z and suffix CD. The 2021+ (ML3Z prefix) went to a new plant/supplier hence why they look different. There is NOT a part supersession from one to the other. The ML3Z is listed in the TSB and parts catalog as an alternative if the HL3Z isn’t available. Either one will function the same way, they are both the updated internal design.
Is the Raptor 3.5 and F150 3.5 same phasers?

julien194b

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, to conclude, I feel confuse ... I still hope that 2020'S built after november 2019 have the good ones, mine is 02/20 , and actually , no cam phaser recall or update sotware...No more rattle noise at cold start ! I remember Fordtechone said Raptor who came after 11/19 have new design parts with udate program. Keep cross finger for it's still actual !

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thankfully, I escaped the ecoboost curse. Currently a 6.2 boat anchor work truck Raptor with no issues in all its time, a 6.6 Duramax, a 6.2 Tahoe RST, and a 5.8 Shelby GT500. Love each one of them, and zero mechanical issues of any kind with them.
Obviously, it is a well-known fact, that Chevy's NEVER have issues, EVER. The Gen 1's have also never had any issues of any kind. You are the wisest shopper ever. I do appreciate that you have pity on us poor Gen 2 guys.

A simple question, why would you bother to be in this forum?

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, to conclude, I feel confuse ... I still hope that 2020'S built after november 2019 have the good ones, mine is 02/20 , and actually , no cam phaser recall or update sotware...No more rattle noise at cold start ! I remember Fordtechone said Raptor who came after 11/19 have new design parts with udate program. Keep cross finger for it's still actual !
Nothing has changed. 11/19 is still the build date cutoff for trucks in the affected population.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Obviously, it is a well-known fact, that Chevy's NEVER have issues, EVER. The Gen 1's have also never had any issues of any kind. You are the wisest shopper ever. I do appreciate that you have pity on us poor Gen 2 guys.

A simple question, why would you bother to be in this forum?
Not to go to bat for the guy , but the 6.0 ls from mid 2000’s before the deactivation nonsense is a fantastic engine, super reliable. Speaking from a work truck application.

Last edited: