Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is that a real thing? I’m not an electrician but starting up an electric heater doesn’t seem like it would kill such a huge battery…and if it does, you would just turn the heater down low and not have it cut off, then back up when the temp drops too much.

Should we care about Inrush Current and How to limit it?

Yes, we should always care about the inrush current in induction motors, transformers and in the electronic circuitswhich consists inductors, capacitors or core. As previously mentioned, inrush current is the maximum peak current, experienced in the system and it can be twice or ten times of the normal rated current.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That’s a BS analysis. In the ice vehicle you run for 10-15 minutes off for 15 min. Doubling you time. You can’t save on an EV that way as the start amps on the EV would kill the battery.
I agree that turning the heater on and off on the EV won't save any charge so long as the average temperature inside stays the same. But I'm confused. Would you please explain what are "start amps" on an EV? And how would running the heater on a 15 minute on/off cycle kill the battery any faster than running it at half power on a 100% duty cycle? TIA

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I agree that turning the heater on and off on the EV won't save any charge so long as the average temperature inside stays the same. But I'm confused. Would you please explain what are "start amps" on an EV? And how would running the heater on a 15 minute on/off cycle kill the battery any faster than running it at half power on a 100% duty cycle? TIA
When starting electric devices you have inrush. I would say, it’s the power to charge the system. In an Ice vehicle the proper way is 15 minutes on and then 15 off. Of course ambient temp dictates cycle times. It might be better to leave an EV on. There is an amount of time that re-energizing equates to. In other words, if energizing takes the same amount of power 5 minutes of steady state operations, then cycle times greater than 10 minutes would extend your time. In his example, 5 minute charge and 5 minute of heating is the same as leaving it on for 10 minutes.
It would be good to know what the correct procedure would be for a EV.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My point was, you can cycle an ICE vehicle where EV are probably better left on due to the wasted power for start up.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When starting electric devices you have inrush. I would say, it’s the power to charge the system. In an Ice vehicle the proper way is 15 minutes on and then 15 off. Of course ambient temp dictates cycle times. It might be better to leave an EV on. There is an amount of time that re-energizing equates to. In other words, if energizing takes the same amount of power 5 minutes of steady state operations, then cycle times greater than 10 minutes would extend your time. In his example, 5 minute charge and 5 minute of heating is the same as leaving it on for 10 minutes.
It would be good to know what the correct procedure would be for a EV.
I'm an electrical engineer. Heaters have inrush current, yes. For a light bulb, it's about 10X the steady-state current, but it drops within a few milliseconds as the filament heats up. For an element in a heater, it's more like double the current for a couple of seconds. If you're running the heater for 15 minutes, you can safely ignore it. And even if the current was 10X, it would still be far far smaller than the current needed to accelerate a 5000lb car from 0 to 60 in 3 seconds. If that doesn't damage the battery, neither will the heater. So I still don't understand the problem. What am I missing?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was calling BS on the following statement, below. Because it’s incorrect in that you cycle an ICE engine, not sure cycling an EV would work. You nearly double the amount of time in an ice engine by cycling. So survivable time is way longer in an ICE vehicle.

I looked this up after the I95 incident and the tests they ran showed pretty similar idling times between the two…plus you could decrease the temp in the EV and have even longer instead of a fairly consistent idling gpm.

Of course, whenever it clears up you can just fill the ICE vehicles with gas and move and would have to tow completely depleted EVs

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not buying any vehicle I have to turn the heat or a/c down to save energy so I can make it to my destination.

Last edited:

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
I seem to be one of the only ones commenting on the EV side of things.

Yes, you might be the only one commenting, but there are more than a few people on here that have an EV in addition to our Raptors. It is just a waste of time trying to defend specific use cases. So, we're silent.