Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you you referred to the BMW M2, you may want to read. I have owned an M3, M4 and X5M and all were incredible vehicles, acceleration, handling, super cool. The downside is…..all the above. I remember sitting in my X5M at a red light when a vette pulled up next to me. You know the story, light turned green and off we went, I blew the guys doors off and guess who the motor cop with a LiDAR stopped? That is just one example, I have many. It’s like a drug addict and ******, with a car like that it is unavoidable. Now I have two Raptors, nobody wants to race a truck and I have my license with a lower insurance premium. Looking back, unless you’re going to track the M2, save your money!
Haha I’ve had decently fast cars before. Never a BMW, but I keep reading about how great it’s going to be

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of his last post he said “I probably won’t keep the Lightning” now he’s talking about a BMW, I don’t think he knows what he wants.
I’ve said multiple times that I probably won’t be keeping the Lightning. And the plus of being an adult…I don’t have to know what I want. I can just get on a list and make the decision whenever an allocation comes available.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was calling BS on the following statement, below. Because it’s incorrect in that you cycle an ICE engine, not sure cycling an EV would work. You nearly double the amount of time in an ice engine by cycling. So survivable time is way longer in an ICE vehicle.

I looked this up after the I95 incident and the tests they ran showed pretty similar idling times between the two…plus you could decrease the temp in the EV and have even longer instead of a fairly consistent idling gpm.

Of course, whenever it clears up you can just fill the ICE vehicles with gas and move and would have to tow completely depleted EVs
Well if we’re just talking about keeping the inside of a vehicle a certain temperature, assuming heaters perform close to the same and the vehicles also insulate the same…wouldn’t the fact that idle times are almost the same dictate that the time before dying would also be close to the same?

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well if we’re just talking about keeping the inside of a vehicle a certain temperature, assuming heaters perform close to the same and the vehicles also insulate the same…wouldn’t the fact that idle times are almost the same dictate that the time before dying would also be close to the same?
No, because you don’t run an ICE vehicle the same. 15 on 15 off. The question is, can you do this in an EV or is it better to just leave an EV on all the time.

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like a huge PITA, I don’t want to have to worry about if I have enough charge to go somewhere or coming home from somewhere. If you need gas, stop, fill it up, under 5 and your on your way.

And let’s not forget towing and all the other factors you mentioned. You will never convince me.
Having owned a Model 3 (alongside a gas-powered vehicle) for 4-5 years now I can say that for anything within a 100 mile radius (aka 95%+ of my driving) it's not a PITA at all. Charge it at home off of the solar panels we already have for "free" and never have to worry about charging anywhere.

If I had to tow regularly, a 500+ mile EV probably still wouldn't be comfortable for me, but I know a lot of people that would be fine with that. I'm too impatient to stop on a long trip to charge. My wife and I have enormous bladders and can drive until the Raptor's enormous tank is empty without needing to stop.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not at all. The two vehicles are completely different animals. The ICE throws off heat as a waste product. An EV uses the batteries to power an electric heater. The time until empty or discharged is going to depend on how efficient those processes are, how well insulated the cab, and the amount of fuel or charge available. In theory, the EV would be more efficient because you only heat the interior of the car, not an engine block and engine compartment and all that coolant and the radiator which is designed for dumping heat, etc. I don't know what happens in reality.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, because you don’t run an ICE vehicle the same. 15 on 15 off. The question is, can you do this in an EV or is it better to just leave an EV on all the time.
Yes you can, I’ve done it for AC.

I’m not sure if we’re on the same page or not about this. There isn’t really a “startup” of the truck. You’re just drawing power for the small electronics…radio, heater, etc. We’re talking minuscule draw on the 131 kWh battery. After the cabin is warmed, the figure I saw on the Lightning forum was around 1kWh to maintain the temp , so assuming it would shut off around 120 hours at that rate.

Outside of that discussion…if you’re in freezing temperatures and a dire circumstance, why would you care about possibly hurting your batteries by cutting the truck off and on? There are so many moving parts on our trucks that to me, it would seem like starting your ice vehicle every 15 min with freezing oil and fluids would be more detrimental than a relay drawing maybe 2% of your battery capacity in the same time.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You should take a winter survival course. It totally makes sense to cycle a ICE powered vehicle. They produce way more heat than needed at idle. So, you run it for about 15 minutes, with the heater full blast. Shut off the engine, saving fuel until you need to warm the interior up again. You nearly double your time.
I tend to agree that leaving an EV on is the correct thing. As stated, you can turn down the heater, lower amp draw and maintain heat.
One note tho, if you’re in a blizzard you have to keep the tail pipe of the ice engine open so you don’t fill the vehicle with carbon monoxide.
Another way to say it, an ICE burns more fuel and make WAY more heat than necessary to keep you warm. So you cycle it. An EV you can turn down the energy consumption to only what’s needed. No need to cycle it.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should take a winter survival course. It totally makes sense to cycle a ICE powered vehicle. They produce way more heat than needed at idle. So, you run it for about 15 minutes, with the heater full blast. Shut off the engine, saving fuel until you need to warm the interior up again. You nearly double your time.
I tend to agree that leaving an EV on is the correct thing. As stated, you can turn down the heater, lower amp draw and maintain heat.
One note tho, if you’re in a blizzard you have to keep the tail pipe of the ice engine open so you don’t fill the vehicle with carbon monoxide.
Another way to say it, an ICE burns more fuel and make WAY more heat than necessary to keep you warm. So you cycle it. An EV you can turn down the energy consumption to only what’s needed. No need to cycle it.
I never said that it didn’t make sense to cycle an ICE vehicle…it’s what I’ve always heard to do.

I live in Louisiana. Myself taking a winter survival course would be like my wife taking a house framing course. Whenever everyone was freaking out about losing the heated steering wheel, I was just over here excited about getting $140 back.