Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned a Model 3 (alongside a gas-powered vehicle) for 4-5 years now I can say that for anything within a 100 mile radius (aka 95%+ of my driving) it's not a PITA at all. Charge it at home off of the solar panels we already have for "free" and never have to worry about charging anywhere.

If I had to tow regularly, a 500+ mile EV probably still wouldn't be comfortable for me, but I know a lot of people that would be fine with that. I'm too impatient to stop on a long trip to charge. My wife and I have enormous bladders and can drive until the Raptor's enormous tank is empty without needing to stop.
I understand where your coming from but if i have to drive 100 miles every day I’m not buying a truck like the lightning or any other electric vehicle I would buy a Focus or Hybrid Escape used at that.

I’m just not an “electric” vehicle person. I don’t get why anyone would spend 70-80k or more on a vehicle you wouldn’t take on long trips or pull a trailer any distance or get half the useful life in the winter.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand where your coming from but if i have to drive 100 miles every day I’m not buying a truck like the lightning or any other electric vehicle I would buy a Focus or Hybrid Escape used at that.

I’m just not an “electric” vehicle person. I don’t get why anyone would spend 70-80k or more on a vehicle you wouldn’t take on long trips or pull a trailer any distance or get half the useful life in the winter.
You’ve made that clear in several posts. Just like the Raptor, the Lightning is more of a specialty vehicle that fits the bill for certain groups.

The SuperDuty guys say the same thing about the Raptor. It has a lower payload and tow rating than even a base XL F150. Luckily the g3 has a payload over 1k. It gets worse mileage and is only available in 5.5 bed. You can’t even fit a whole sheet of plywood in the bed. Why would you get a 1/2 ton if you only want to tow 8200#…A Ranger can do that. On and on.

The Lightning can pull a trailer 150ish miles and doesn’t have much range reduction with weight in the bed. It is perfect for a select group of people, not everyone…just like your Raptor. Also, my range went down around 20 miles during the winter here…not half

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’ve made that clear in several posts. Just like the Raptor, the Lightning is more of a specialty vehicle that fits the bill for certain groups.

The SuperDuty guys say the same thing about the Raptor. It has a lower payload and tow rating than even a base XL F150. Luckily the g3 has a payload over 1k. It gets worse mileage and is only available in 5.5 bed. You can’t even fit a whole sheet of plywood in the bed. Why would you get a 1/2 ton if you only want to tow 8200#…A Ranger can do that. On and on.

The Lightning can pull a trailer 150ish miles and doesn’t have much range reduction with weight in the bed. It is perfect for a select group of people, not everyone…just like your Raptor. Also, my range went down around 20 miles during the winter here…not half
Haha, I was about to edit my post and say “I’m sure the same could be said about the Raptor” lol! People would say why would you buy a truck that can haul and pull less and get poopy MPG.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The Lightning can pull a trailer 150ish miles and doesn’t have much range reduction with weight in the bed. It is perfect for a select group of people, not everyone

it seems to be well suited to multi-use. You can use it to haul cargo, you can use it to power your home and, you can use it to warm yourself when it spontaneously combusts!

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it seems to be well suited to multi-use. You can use it to haul cargo, you can use it to power your home and, you can use it to warm yourself when it spontaneously combusts!

You beat me to the video and explained better as well!

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The worst thing about them is that the battery lifespan is way shorter than an ICE and once it’s toast, the vehicle is a paperweight. Can’t fix a battery. They are very wasteful products from beginning to end that wouldn’t exist but for government interference which rests entirely on false premises of climate alarmism and environmentalism. I just don’t want any part of this boondoggle.

Last edited:

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

If you had to drive 100 miles round trip each day and you could buy an EV for $40k (go look up Model 3/Y pricing, they're not $70-80k) that could get you there and back roundtrip even in cold weather and hilly terrain with significant battery to spare, you still wouldn't buy an EV?

The amount of money you'd save powering it (50-75% cheaper than gas assuming you don't have solar) and improved reliability make it a much better decision than a Focus or Escape. Our Model 3, in ~50k miles of ownership, has needed a single tire rotation. No other service other than the over-the-air software updates.

Last edited:

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ICE vehicles catch fire at a higher proportional rate than EVs. It just doesn't get reported the way they do for EVs. Don't let media coverage (or lack thereof) fool you. That being said, a battery fire is typically much harder to put out.

The worst thing about them is that the battery lifespan is way shorter than an ICE and once it’s toast, the vehicle is a paperweight. Can’t fix a battery. They are very wasteful products from beginning to end that wouldn’t exist but for government interference which rests entirely on false premises of climate alarmism and environmentalism. I just don’t want any part of this boondoggle.
We took delivery of our Model 3 in January 2018, so we've had it for a bit over 5 years and ~50k miles. We typically charge it to 80% maximum and used to mostly Supercharge it (harder on the battery than slow charging at home overnight). Our maximum range has decreased by ~7% (from 311 miles when new down to around 290 miles). Most battery degradation happens in the first few years, so we'll likely see around 10% of total range loss by the time we sell this and buy something else in a few years.

The fears about "short battery lifespan" and "paperweight vehicles" are greatly overblown.

Last edited:

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ICE vehicles catch fire at a higher proportional rate than EVs. It just doesn't get reported the way they do for EVs. Don't let media coverage (or lack thereof) fool you. That being said, a battery fire is typically much harder to put out.

We took delivery of our Model 3 in January 2018, so we've had it for a bit over 5 years and ~50k miles. We typically charge it to 80% maximum and used to mostly Supercharge it (harder on the battery than slow charging at home overnight). Our maximum range has decreased by ~7% (from 311 miles when new down to around 290 miles). Most battery degradation happens in the first few years, so we'll likely see around 10% of total range loss by the time we sell this and buy something else in a few years.

The fears about "short battery lifespan" and "paperweight vehicles" are greatly overblown.
Keep telling yourself that. My 20 years of experience with lithium batteries tells me different. It's fine if you replace your vehicle every five years or less, assuming you don't give a crap about the waste and the associated environmental damage, but ICE engines go way longer, and can be fixed. That's indisputable. Either way, the government boondoggle and all that comes with it is too much for me to swallow. China couldn't have written a better playbook. And the Washington swamp creatures just slurp it up. Disgusting.