Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, you will never convince me.

Lets not even get in to the whole lithium mining and other chemicals that go in those batteries and the, what do you do with them after their useful life is over.

So MattR, lets agree to disagree, good luck with your EV and if I see you on the side of the road because you ran out of charge I will kindly tow you to a charger with my Raptor, but it will cost you, because like I also said…nothing is free.

Last edited:

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Lets not even get in to the whole lithium mining and other chemicals that go in those batteries and the, what do you do with them after their useful life is over.

So MattR, lets agree to disagree, good luck with your EV and if I see you on the side of the road because you ran out of charge I will kindly tow you to a charger with my Raptor, but it will cost you, because like I also said…nothing is free.
I thought he said he was going to ditch the EV and keep the Raptor. Did I miss that @MattR?

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What bites is that you can't use all of your range the way you can with ICE. You want to keep 20% or so in reserve and when it's hot out it's really hard on the battery to charge beyond 80%. So your usable range is 60% of the headline range. Which drops in half after five or so years of average driving. Your 500 mile range vehicle starts with a usable range of 300 miles and that drops to 150 miles after five years. Useful as a second car? Sure. As an only vehicle? NFW
For sure. For some reason, I rarely see this argument. 320 miles range looks great …190 does not.

As I said, I assume most families have a second vehicle that isn’t EV. I can’t see having one as an only vehicle

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a BS analysis. In the ice vehicle you run for 10-15 minutes off for 15 min. Doubling you time. You can’t save on an EV that way as the start amps on the EV would kill the battery.
Is that a real thing? I’m not an electrician but starting up an electric heater doesn’t seem like it would kill such a huge battery…and if it does, you would just turn the heater down low and not have it cut off, then back up when the temp drops too much.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Im not trying to convince you, just squash some of the boomer rumors that seem to be prevalent regarding EVs…most of which I believed before getting one. I have several other vehicles including a 23 Raptor (that’s been in the shop for about seven weeks since I got it 12/19). Like I said, I probably won’t be keeping the Lightning. I really want the new m2 if I can get my hands on one.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not trying to convince you, just squash some of the boomer rumors that seem to be prevalent regarding EVs…most of which I believed before getting one. I have several other vehicles including a 23 Raptor (that’s been in the shop for about seven weeks since I got it 12/19). Like I said, I probably won’t be keeping the Lightning. I really want the new m2 if I can get my hands on one.
If you you referred to the BMW M2, you may want to read. I have owned an M3, M4 and X5M and all were incredible vehicles, acceleration, handling, super cool. The downside is…..all the above. I remember sitting in my X5M at a red light when a vette pulled up next to me. You know the story, light turned green and off we went, I blew the guys doors off and guess who the motor cop with a LiDAR stopped? That is just one example, I have many. It’s like a drug addict and ******, with a car like that it is unavoidable. Now I have two Raptors, nobody wants to race a truck and I have my license with a lower insurance premium. Looking back, unless you’re going to track the M2, save your money!