Anyone go from a Gen 3 Raptor to EV Lightning ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't personally buy an EV truck/SUV unless it had 500+ miles of range to account for highway speeds, cold weather, climbing up grades, etc.. Not to mention the combination of highway + cold weather + climbing grades we experience many times a year driving to Tahoe to snowboard.

Our Model 3 is a great around town / short trips type of car. The Raptor is what we use for longer trips (e.g. greater than 100 miles away), camping, and trips to the mountains. It's a great setup and the only thing missing is a sports car :)
I’ve said multiple times that even 400 miles would be great. I’ve had multiple trips where an extra 50 miles would have been the difference between taking that vs my truck.

500 would be a game changer though

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also forget electricity is not free, it’s made at plants that use fossil fuels. Rather your buddy has a charger, you pay for one on the road or at your house, it still uses electricity and someone is paying for it, nothing is free.
I looked this up after the I95 incident and the tests they ran showed pretty similar idling times between the two…plus you could decrease the temp in the EV and have even longer instead of a fairly consistent idling gpm.

Of course, whenever it clears up you can just fill the ICE vehicles with gas and move and would have to tow completely depleted EVs

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They also forget electricity is not free, it’s made at plants that use fossil fuels. Rather your buddy has a charger, you pay for one on the road or at your house, it still uses electricity and someone is paying for it, nothing is free.
Yes but it’s still fairly cheap, I think my power is around 6.8c per kWh. That’s around $8 for a 320 mile charge BUT the power company gives a discount for charging outside peak hours. That would be closer to $75 for gas.

Of course, you have to figure in the higher initial cost. Even with the tax credit it’s significant

I seem to be one of the only ones commenting on the EV side of things. I’m not an expert and not even a big proponent of them. I just got it because it was unique and quick…and I knew I wouldn’t lose money on it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve said multiple times that even 400 miles would be great. I’ve had multiple trips where an extra 50 miles would have been the difference between taking that vs my truck.

500 would be a game changer though
What bites is that you can't use all of your range the way you can with ICE. You want to keep 20% or so in reserve and when it's hot out it's really hard on the battery to charge beyond 80%. So your usable range is 60% of the headline range. Which drops in half after five or so years of average driving. Your 500 mile range vehicle starts with a usable range of 300 miles and that drops to 150 miles after five years. Useful as a second car? Sure. As an only vehicle? NFW

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I looked this up after the I95 incident and the tests they ran showed pretty similar idling times between the two…plus you could decrease the temp in the EV and have even longer instead of a fairly consistent idling gpm.

Of course, whenever it clears up you can just fill the ICE vehicles with gas and move and would have to tow completely depleted EVs
That’s a BS analysis. In the ice vehicle you run for 10-15 minutes off for 15 min. Doubling you time. You can’t save on an EV that way as the start amps on the EV would kill the battery.