Air Conditioning - not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is obviously not a help and slightly OT, I just rented a Ford Edge in Florida. The AC was like a freezer. Unbelievable how they can get it right in some models and not in others.
I wish dude . All these hot weather guys in AZ seem to be fine with the performance . But something tells me that mine is acting up or not optimally cooling.

@FordTechOne is there any update on this considering the tsb? I just called the dealer and he told
Me the system was designed to operate at 20deg below ambient. I find it hard to believe that i cant get lower than 50-55 out of the vents at 90-100 ambient. Also with the fans racing and the ambient temp gage seemingly a bit erratic. Also its a 2019 is it 134a or is it 1234?

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is obviously not a help and slightly OT, I just rented a Ford Edge in Florida. The AC was like a freezer. Unbelievable how they can get it right in some models and not in others.
Doesn’t help but yet it does make me feel better. I was so disappointed in my AC and still am even after the TSB update. I’m guessing the ac unit is underpowered for how many cubic inches are inside the front and rear? Add in all the heat from windows and large sunroof and on hot days it just can’t keep up?

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Doesn’t help but yet it does make me feel better. I was so disappointed in my AC and still am even after the TSB update. I’m guessing the ac unit is underpowered for how many cubic inches are inside the front and rear? Add in all the heat from windows and large sunroof and on hot days it just can’t keep up?
I find it hard to believe but just waiting to get some more feedback before I go cocking around with vac pumps and manifolds etc…

1719239667972.gif

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ceramic tint helped greatly. I did all of the windows, sun roof and windshield. Makes the AC tolerable but on days where it gets mid to high 90’s the AC just can’t keep up. Dealer says it’s normal so maybe I was just expecting better? I was in a Lincoln Navigator and it was ice cold on the hottest days. My father’s Gen 2 was poor also but a little better at least than the Gen 3. They must have changed something.

I encourage you to play with any pumps necessary to fix our trucks.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ceramic tint helped greatly. I did all of the windows, sun roof and windshield. Makes the AC tolerable but on days where it gets mid to high 90’s the AC just can’t keep up. Dealer says it’s normal so maybe I was just expecting better? I was in a Lincoln Navigator and it was ice cold on the hottest days. My father’s Gen 2 was poor also but a little better at least than the Gen 3. They must have changed something.

I encourage you to play with any pumps necessary to fix our trucks.
Naa i think its capable enough i think its probably low on refer or expansion valve. We’ll see i guess.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish dude . All these hot weather guys in AZ seem to be fine with the performance . But something tells me that mine is acting up or not optimally cooling.

@FordTechOne is there any update on this considering the tsb? I just called the dealer and he told
Me the system was designed to operate at 20deg below ambient. I find it hard to believe that i cant get lower than 50-55 out of the vents at 90-100 ambient. Also with the fans racing and the ambient temp gage seemingly a bit erratic. Also its a 2019 is it 134a or is it 1234?
There’s no spec due to the number of environmental factors that can affect the temperature delta.

As far as the TSB, the current one came out on May 23rd and applies to all 2021-2023 models. It’s a new calibration for the PCM and HVAC module to prevent evaporator freeze up. If yours is partially freezing that could explain your concern of reduced performance.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There’s no spec due to the number of environmental factors that can affect the temperature delta.

As far as the TSB, the current one came out on May 23rd and applies to all 2021-2023 models. It’s a new calibration for the PCM and HVAC module to prevent evaporator freeze up. If yours is partially freezing that could explain your concern of reduced performance.
Thanks for that , i have a gen 2 so i think what I'm going to do is hit it with some r134a until the low side comes steady at 42psi on a 80 degree day. It seemed to struggle in the low 30’s on Sat when it was in the high 90’s.

Raptor513

Reaction score
This has happened to me several times. 23 w/8k miles. The last time was a 4 hour road trip.

Was miserable most the way. Finally couldn’t take it and pulled over at a gas station. Will say I didn’t turn sport mode back on and it worked the entire way home.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Now when I really need AC I won’t put her in sport.

Might be a fluke, not sure. This and the IOS navigation issue makes infuriated in the moment.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Before:

IMG_3010.jpeg

After:
IMG_3011.jpeg

i added about 4oz or so and it perked up to 33-35 with the recurc off. I saw the high side creeping up around 210 so i called it good. Cabin air is at 39 out the vents on low fan which was what I was looking for. Its around 76degrees right now so i am leaving it there. Will report back long term.

DMM_78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got home from a 100 mile round trip drive. Almost home and the AC stopped. Here's my driveway 10 mins after getting home.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.jpeg
    IMG_2832.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 7