2024 cracked front dif

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zach Gen3

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title states, the dif on my 2024 truck has split open with about 2500 miles on the odometer. There is about a 1/4" split down the side of it (roughly 3 o clock position, horizontally), and ford is not wanting to cover it. My skid plate has no damage, and only sign of any wear is some lightly scuffed tow hooks. I would think that if I bottomed out hard enough for it to split, the skid plate would be damaged, and the split would be vertical from some sort of contact - correct me if I am wrong as I may very well be ignorant to what could/has happened. Has anyone else dealt with anything similar? If so, advice on how to proceed and try to get it covered? For what its worth, my dealer tried to help (so I think) and approved it on their end/submitted it to ford who has since denied it

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
the dif on my 2024 truck has split open with about 2500 miles on the odometer. There is about a 1/4" split down the side of it (roughly 3 o clock position, horizontally), and ford is not wanting to cover it

All stock, or modified? If modified, what mods?
What reasoning are they giving for not covering it, abuse? neglect?

Did you send it and hit really hard?
Any extractions made of other stuck vehicles?

that doesn't seem like a usual type failure.

OP
OP
Zach Gen3

Zach Gen3

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All stock, or modified? If modified, what mods?
What reasoning are they giving for not covering it, abuse? neglect?

Did you send it and hit really hard?
Any extractions made of other stuck vehicles?

that doesn't seem like a usual type failure.
Half tie rods are the only mod up front. Rear has bump stops, but thats unrelated - as are the half ties to be fair. Didnt really send/hit hard, like I said no skid plate damage. Some scuffs on tow hooks is all. Drove my 2022/23 much harder with zero issues. Had it in 4x4 on a trail and it threw limp about 30 seconds in with about 700 miles on odo. No jumps etc in 4x4. Restarted truck, no codes so didnt think anything of it, kept driving but kept it in 2wd to be safe. It wasnt until I tried 4x4 again when I realized there was an issue. Even then, I thought was IWE related, not the dif. I spoke with my dealer contact who told me no rush to bring it in as there were no codes or warning lights. I imagine the crack worsened over time, but again in 2wd there wasnt really an issue until the last couple hundred miles when it started grinding. That sound is ultimately why I took it in

OP
OP
Zach Gen3

Zach Gen3

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, looks like you landed too hard on the front right. That is some serious up-force to split the diff open from the axle tube side--up.
Can very confidently say no harsh landings - nothing compared to my 2022 that I did actually send a couple times. The fact that that theres no underbody damage proves its not from an impact of that sort either

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can very confidently say no harsh landings - nothing compared to my 2022 that I did actually send a couple times. The fact that that theres no underbody damage proves its not from an impact of that sort either
It's either torque split or landing front right split, what does "Didnt really send/hit hard" mean? You could easily land hard on the front right and not show/damage the skid plate. Not trying to place blame, just tryin' to answer the question you asked about how it could/has has happened.