2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have spent some time in a few Gen 1s vs my stock Gen 2 the past weeks off road and on road. The Gen 2 suspension is far superior on and off road to the Gen 1. We even thought it was comparable to a Gen 1 that had a full Icon 3.0 setup... in whoops, small rollers...on road. It was just as good. Where the Icons shined over the stock Gen 2 suspension is having the clickers. By being able to adjust the high speed dampening it made a big difference on big jumps.

That is literally impossible, because of all the "facts" stated above.

I'm sure your input is appreciated by some who aren't ignorant to the difference between facts and opinion.

Actually how dare you state your opinion unless you've owned both trucks! Oh wait.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is literally impossible, because of all the "facts" stated above.

I'm sure your input is appreciated by some who aren't ignorant to the difference between facts and opinion.

Actually how dare you state your opinion unless you've owned both trucks! Oh wait.

Bro, you just highlighted a post that confirmed a Jenny isn't as good as a GenWon with aftermarket 3.0s. Anyone with a brain could have told you that. Fact: aftermarket 3.0s are better than factory 3.0s.

You girls really need to learn to read and learn before you try to educate.

:specialed:

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough ride for me as well. Bounced way too much.

Got truck yesterday, 4.5 hr trip one way. After driving a bit thought of this thread...Tire psi at 50 on all...at like 40 deg F outside, checked after a couple hundred miles. Tires rated for 45 psi at full load...

Aired down to 42...still a bit much so aired down to 39ish. Better but may air down more...

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First thing i did on my 14 was install wsi progressives in the rear , i hated the stock crap. I later put in the giesers in the front.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rough ride for me as well. Bounced way too much.

Got truck yesterday, 4.5 hr trip one way. After driving a bit thought of this thread...Tire psi at 50 on all...at like 40 deg F outside, checked after a couple hundred miles. Tires rated for 45 psi at full load...

Aired down to 42...still a bit much so aired down to 39ish. Better but may air down more...

Lord knows why Ford, not the dealers, are Airing these things (C Rated KO2s at that) to 50 PSI...but the inside Driver's Door Jam (what we're supposed to go by) is 38 PSI...down from 44 PSI on my 14 Gen 1 with D Rated BFG KOs Gen 1s....I set my tires at 38 after the first weekend, and while the Ride is BETTER, it's still way too bouncy for me.

I am taking in all the research and coming up with a plan of attack...but need to budget since not my only Vehicle and my Gen 1 has 82K on it and those 2.5 Foxes need a rebuild, which I will do some upgrades at the same time after reading some great info in these Forum threads.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is my big problem with the different modes, with the gen 1 you select the things YOU want, with the gen 2 terrain modes you are sort of force fed things. I understand the reasoning, but I don't like it, and in this day and age of no personal responsibility, I am sure the corporate lawyers and product support guys had a say in the development of the different modes.

Baja tested, lawyer approved. lol

window2time

Reaction score
I love my Gen 2 Raptor and will admit to being a fanboy. With that said, I do experience the wheel hop being discussed on this thread. If I am going 60mph around a gentle curve and hit a pothole or something else where the shocks operate in the high speed damping circuit then I get wheel hop that moves the truck significantly off my intended line. I do not like it and it is the one thing on the truck that is a significant dissatisfier for me.

I am not convinced that upgraded leaf springs will fix this as it seems like a high speed valving problem to me.

Has anyone tried the upgraded Fox shock kit offered by ADD? It is $3k front and $3k rear which is a lot of coin but I would honestly go for it if it would solve this wheel hop issue. Has anyone installed this setup? ADD, do you have a truck there with this suspension that a guy could test drive before dropping $6k?

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I love my Gen 2 Raptor and will admit to being a fanboy. With that said, I do experience the wheel hop being discussed on this thread. If I am going 60mph around a gentle curve and hit a pothole or something else where the shocks operate in the high speed damping circuit then I get wheel hop that moves the truck significantly off my intended line. I do not like it and it is the one thing on the truck that is a significant dissatisfier for me.

I am not convinced that upgraded leaf springs will fix this as it seems like a high speed valving problem to me.

Has anyone tried the upgraded Fox shock kit offered by ADD? It is $3k front and $3k rear which is a lot of coin but I would honestly go for it if it would solve this wheel hop issue. Has anyone installed this setup? ADD, do you have a truck there with this suspension that a guy could test drive before dropping $6k?

Maybe try adding a bit of weight to the back to change where the shock is riding and see if it bounces the same way. I took my spare out of my Gen1 for a bit when I switched to 37's and it was a rough ride in the rear, same skipping feeling you mentioned. Then when I threw it back in the bed ahead of the axle that extra ~90lbs or whatever made it ride a bit nicer. That'd at least tell you if it's a certain zone in the shock that's riding harsh or if it's the springs I'd think.