2014 Gen I vs. 2017 Gen II Suspension Impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only suggestion to Ford would be to give the driver the ability choose between 2wd WITH rear locker engaged and 4wd.

Are you 100% sure this can't be done?

I only sat in one so far, did get to start it and mess with controls. I tried pulling the knob to engage the rear, it didn't work. I then pushed the middle of the 4x4 knob and it showed rear lockers engaged.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score

I only sat in one so far, did get to start it and mess with controls. I tried pulling the knob to engage the rear, it didn't work. I then pushed the middle of the 4x4 knob and it showed rear lockers engaged.

It's been confirmed that it doesn't work. Baja/2wd/locked isnt an available config

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score

No it cannot be done. There is a report from someone who attended the FPS Racing school that it was left off intentionally, due to the increased torque of the new engine and its potential to damage the rear e-locker in 2WD.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
No it cannot be done. There is a report from someone who attended the FPS Racing school that it was left off intentionally, due to the increased torque of the new engine and its potential to damage the rear e-locker in 2WD.

Wonder how those IWEs are going to hold up though. Seems like they can't really win either way y'know?

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for confirming. Must have been in 4wd and didn't realize it.

That makes sense on too much torque...part of my concern with this years ago...surprised how easy it was to break loose on the standard 3.5L Eco even with the heaviest truck they make. Still agree, would rather have it available for non-pavement conditions though. Ford - Just throw up a warning when engaged - Not recommended for use on pavement!

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is my big problem with the different modes, with the gen 1 you select the things YOU want, with the gen 2 terrain modes you are sort of force fed things. I understand the reasoning, but I don't like it, and in this day and age of no personal responsibility, I am sure the corporate lawyers and product support guys had a say in the development of the different modes.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
That is my big problem with the different modes, with the gen 1 you select the things YOU want, with the gen 2 terrain modes you are sort of force fed things. I understand the reasoning, but I don't like it, and in this day and age of no personal responsibility, I am sure the corporate lawyers and product support guys had a say in the development of the different modes.

Hell, even in the later models of the Gen1 you can't turn ALL the nannies off like you could with the 2010. There's still random-ass limitations too, like not being able to run 4wd/TC off/locked I think it is. You can only run 4/sport/locked. I can't remember exactly but it's kind of random.

mwm5094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, even in the later models of the Gen1 you can't turn ALL the nannies off like you could with the 2010. There's still random-ass limitations too, like not being able to run 4wd/TC off/locked I think it is. You can only run 4/sport/locked. I can't remember exactly but it's kind of random.

The biggest annoyance in the GEN1 IMO is when you turn off traction control, you spin the tires for more than a few seconds, it still kicks in. :supergay: