Decision to Make Gen 2 or Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DFS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 3 if you insist on 37’s. There’s been many pages of problems and debate back and forth regarding 37’s on Gen 2 with no real consensus unless you spend a lot of money on suspension mods.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8K miles or not, it’s still a 4 year old truck for only 10k below original MSRP. The original buyer might have gotten it less than MSRP depending on when in 2019/2020 it was purchased. You’ll spend more in mods (to not rub) than saved going with a gen 2 to run 37s and you still won’t have all of the other advantages. I would drive a gen 2 and see how it goes. I loved my gen 2 but I wouldn’t go back.

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8K miles or not, it’s still a 4 year old truck for only 10k below original MSRP. The original buyer might have gotten it less than MSRP depending on when in 2019/2020 it was purchased. You’ll spend more in mods (to not rub) than saved going with a gen 2 to run 37s and you still won’t have all of the other advantages. I would drive a gen 2 and see how it goes. I loved my gen 2 but I wouldn’t go back.
This.

Reaction score
I'm still new to the Raptor world with a gen2, so take that for what its worth. The biggest selling point for the gen 2 for me was the super cab, that was my number one requirement. Once I found that Ford killed it off on the gen 3, it was basically off the table for me. Plus I wasn't a fan of the interior, not sure why just doesn't do it for me. As you know the engine is more or less the same between the two generations, so the cost savings on a 2 was the clencher.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it were me (im a gen 2 owner) I’d say early gen 3. You relinquish all the phaser drama, i believe the sunroof is better , Coil sprung rear is the biggest reason tho. Thats a completely different ballgame/ advantage in my book. And if you want 37” tires thats the move 100%. Modding rigs is great but you really have to do your research and tweak to get the setup right. But when you starting off the factory with a tire that size you know everything is engineered around it already. All the calculations are done. So its a great starting point.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ask yourself.... what do you care about?

Engine is the same
Look is 98% the same

That leaves interior and mileage, suspension.

If you want a regular daily driver save your cash or the Gen 2
If you want something all tech'd out and you wanna brag about your new suspension while you drive through starbucks, get the Gen 3 with a double frappa dappa doooooo with cinnamon on the top.

Frogger22

“Not all who wander are lost” Tolkien
Reaction score
Ask yourself.... what do you care about?

Engine is the same
Look is 98% the same

That leaves interior and mileage, suspension.

If you want a regular daily driver save your cash or the Gen 2
If you want something all tech'd out and you wanna brag about your new suspension while you drive through starbucks, get the Gen 3 with a double frappa dappa doooooo with cinnamon on the top.
Looks are definitely not 98% the same

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
Had multiple Gen2 and love them but I’m
On my 2nd Gen3 and they are way ahead with the interior and suspension. Not really anything that the Gen2 has that is superior to the Gen3 but sounds like you’re trying to sell yourself on the cheaper gen2. Do whatever you want. It’s your money.
That's a good point. I think I am trying to convince myself that the Gen 2 is AS GOOD as the Gen3 if properly modified. However, if I don't get the interior stuff and gismos then i am sub par

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
it's 62K on a 77K MSRP truck. just for reference, the thing has every option available in 2020 except a bedliner

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
Gen 3 if you insist on 37’s. There’s been many pages of problems and debate back and forth regarding 37’s on Gen 2 with no real consensus unless you spend a lot of money on suspension mods.
perfect. I don't insist on 37's at all. I am thinking i may just get it up and looking more aggressive and do some wheels and tires.