You never know when it's your time.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emerald_nomad - RLTW

Reaction score
“Canopy Lights” and “Riser Grease”
John?! How the hell am I going to know where I'm dropping if I don't have my Canopy Lights during my night jump?? And pulling out those Risers right before I load the bird to grease them is essential in ensuring I don't have tangles! You should've came over to 1st Batt John, we would've taught you some good ****

OP
OP
Keshka

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having not used a kinetic rope. Common sense says it would behave like a rubber band and have serious rebound or snap back. Much worse than a nylon strap or chain. I can completely understand the huge advantage of using one in a recovery. But at the expense of safety? Do they have serious rebound or is it damped in the construction of the rope?

Not withstanding still using dampers such as sand bags/hood....What have you seen?

Old school, I have done hundreds of recoveries using 1/2" nylon rope. If by chance the rope broke as it did on a few occasions, it did not snap back with any measurable force. I simply tied it back together and modified my plan. IE, more digging, more planks. My thought was if I can't do it with 1/2", I am pulling too hard and something besides the rope will fail.

John M BUNMAN

BUNMAN-Adventures, Rescue & Recovery
Reaction score
The article below saves me a lot of typing and explains things a little clearer than I do.
I like you , have used anything I could get my hands on to pull/drag, but Not Snatch, someone out of a Minnesota Snowback after almost every snowfall. I would help my uncle who owned a trucking company.
I used your 1/2“ rope, $40 “Tow Strap” , even ratchet straps..lol
Blind Luck and going to Church every Sunday was often the only thing keeping me from an Early Pine Box..lol
Almost everyone of these recoveries, were a Drag, not a Snatch. HUGE DIFFERENCE.
A KE Rope is Almost Always Safer in a Dynamic Recovery, from what I’ve learned and have been taught. The Article above, that initiated this thread, sadly Demonstrates exactly what I’ve been taught by others. IMHO, a fuxcked up Recovery Attachment Point, drop hitch, is only one of the mitigating circumstances.
Had the Recovery Vehicle had a Recovery Point, similar to our Raptors, using the same tow strap, I believe at a minimum there would have been significant vehicle damage to one or more likely, both vehicles.
What you get from a Strap, used as a KE Rope, is a HARD HIT, not a controlled Yank.
A few visuals that folks have used to explain it to a simpleton like me.
If you are sitting in stuck in the mud, to the frame vehicle, such as above, Do you want to be the recipient of a 20’ running start Hard Hit from a tow-strap, being used as a KE Rope, or would you rather have someone, that understands the dynamics of the above Recovery, progressively, Yank you out, without putting you in the Trauma Center? I always choose the KE Option. I will cover this more in my point #2.
Also covered in point #2, if someone is going to help un-stick you , such as above, make sure they know what they are doing as well as you and you are both on the same page.
My uneducated guess of the above would be this, it easily could have been ME in either vehicle 30 years ago. I would have shown up with my $40 Wally World Tow-Strap, did a 3-second assessment and determined….Brooooo, you are STUCK AS A MFER in that Mfing Muck!! Have No Fear, BUNMAN RECOVERY has arrived!
Next I would have slung my strap over my Drop-Hitch. Followed by me backing up between 10’-20’, remembering that my friend, whom I’m about to kill, is REALLY STUCK UP TO HIS FRAME IN THAT SHIXT. Thinking to myself the whoLe time…man he is going to owe me big time for interrupting my Call of Duty Marathon.
The next sound I would have heard is my engine Roaring as I Floored my accelerator, rapidly taking up the 20’ of slack in my strap. Reaching the end of the strap, feel a sharp jab in my neck which is followed by a sudden release.
I realize, my hitch has broken and has killed my friend….how will I ever forgive myself? How can my friends wife and children ever forgive me….I couldn’t if I were them….
This was easily me, 30 years ago, Not Knowing…What I didn’t know …

Today (Always easy to Second guess someone when you weren’t there) if you were in the stuck truck and you called me, if I answered, I would tell you go Fuxk yourself, then I would begrudgingly come on out. The first 30+ min, WE, would look at all of our available options, utilizing all the Shixt I brought with me.
Again, without having been there, I would dig , let me strike that, HE would dig out the front end and tires. MaxTrax for the front tires. Dig, MaxTrax for the rear tires. Using Soft Shackles, attach both ends of my KE Rope to designated Recovery Points on both Vehicles. Once again discuss our plan, ensuring we are both On Target. He would put his hood up. All bystanders would be removed from the kill zone, acknowledging, they ARE NOT to re-enter the designated Kill Zone , until I instruct them to do so.
Both drivers are ready, I proceed forward, taking the slack out of my KE Rope. I then back up 5’ to give him the first KE hit. If available, we have a 3rd person, that can see and communicate with both of us, acting as director. Radios if available.
After the 5’ hit, if it didn’t do the trick, we assess what we accomplished with the 5’ KE hit, move MaxTrax if needed.
Repeat as needed, increasing the length of the KE Hit each time. My personal rule is, any KE hit over 5’ the receiving vehicle is in neutral, until forward/backward momentum is achieved. If, a big if, I’m using a strap for any kind of hit, the receiving vehicle needs to be neutral due severity of AC strap-Hit.
Im sure I forgot something but hopefully, you have an idea of what I would be doing..

Last edited:

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Will it fit the Gen 3

Such a sad tragedy, TOTALLY AVOIDABLE, what you don’t know, that you don’t know, can/will kill you.
I’ll drop my 2cents of knowledge that I’ve acquired over 30 years on the Trail, from people much smarter and far more knowledgeable than I. Sometimes I actually know when to zip it and listen, take notes and learn from hard knocks.

I apologize for the late arrival, MFing therapy every day, FNING Pain so I get an hour or two of sleep. I’m about done with this FNING Knee!!
Trying to avoid the pity party syndrome.
I shall return..:
FYI. I have learned a lot watching YouTube videos of Matt’s Off-Road Recovery, although he doesn’t often go into great detail of the equipment used and why, you can learn a lot from him, he does it for a living.
I’ve watched Matt for a long time and my big criticism is he never uses a jacket or blanket or anything made to cover the winch cable while he stands right next to it.
As for this “accident” there is a good YouTube video where a guy got permission from the family to go over it and he details the strength or lack thereof of tow balls , not @Oldfart balls, and shows the pull needed to unstick that stuck in the mud truck was double or triple the capacity of most tow balls.

OP
OP
Keshka

Keshka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something of note: The receiver on the vehicle has a rating as well. Just because your "Factor 55" hitch link is strong enough, is your receiver? Second, the way in which you couple your soft shackle to your Bubba rope can be a weak point as well. While a soft shackle may have a rating high enough, it will cut quite easy. I suggest using something similar to the Skookum to couple the two together rather than looping one through the other.

Overall, the less "heavy metal" at each end of your slingshot the better. Using the soft shackle and Bubba, I like this part. I don't like the Skookum in there but see no reasonable alternative.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Let’s also remember, when Matt does recoveries he always digs out around the tires. That wasn’t done here. Ever step in mud and it sucks your shoe off? Imagine how much suction there was there.

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
I use them together most of the time, but there is a big difference imho, between a Rescue or Recovery.
A Rescue, in name alone, implies an Emergency and or a need for a sense of Urgency. If I have to extricate a person from their flipped over Jeep because I fear internal injuries/bleeding out, spinal fluid leaking from their ear, etc….THAT IS A RESCUE, Time is of essence to preserve life. A vehicle is teetering on the edge of a drop-off, with occupants still inside…this is a RESCUE, Time is of essence .. VS
My Raptor is stuck in the Mud/Sand/Rocks/Trees/Bushes/STARFUXKS GIANT CURB…. This is a RECOVERY, Time is NOT OF THE ESSENCE, (UNLESS YOU ARE BLOCKING THE DRIVE THROUGH!!)
More ”Word Salad” Bunny :rolleyes:, what are you try to say, using fewer words (It is quite apparent at this point, I like to hear the sound of my own voice:happy175:)
What I’m trying to say is TAKE YOUR FNING TIME, SMOOTH IS FAST-FAST IS SMOOTH…IF YOU LIVE IN A GLASS HOUSE..DON’T THROW ROCKS…BREAD CAST UPON THE WATER…OFTEN RETURNS SOGGY….

OPPS, Sorry, got off track again..Getting in a hurry in a Recovery situation, will get someone hurt, period! You may be blocking the Trail, getting that feeling in your stomach that you look stupid getting stuck there. If you have never been stuck, it’s because you avoided the Tall Curbs at Bucks ;) No Offense. Besides, if you are blocking the Trail, anyone that you are delaying, if they are worth anything, Will get out and help you :) The exception of course, is the TRD BOYS behind you, in a hurry to go see WICKED at the Smith’s Center for the 10th time, with their Skinny Jean Boyfriend…No Offense Of Course ;)

#1 Rules that apply to almost all Rescue/Recoveries - Take your time!
Assess the situation, look it it from every angle. What is my best way out without doing any vehicle damage or killing somebody. Often, the best way Out/Off an obstacle is the way you went into it, rather than trying to drag yourself through it, further compounding the situation.
What Recovery gear do I have at my disposal?
Is this a Self-Recovery or is there, or may there be, someone to help me with the Recovery?
MAKE A PLAN….BUT REMAIN FLEXIBLE!! Every Plan is great until the First Shot is Fired or the Jack doesn’t operate as intended/ expected. ADAPT AND OVERCOME
EVERY RECOVERY IS SAME….BUT DIFFERENT

#2 after therapy if I’m still FING ALIVE :mad::mad::banghead:
#2 - Keep in mind, my bs that I’m spewing is mainly from a perspective of my flying Solo. So that means my Recovery/Rescue involves A HUGE UNKNOWN ELEMENT, The Person helping me.
If you are stuck or you come across someone that needs your help, take 5 min to find out what their KSA’s and OffRoading experience is, taking it all with a grain of salt. If I were to roll out my CargoGlide and you saw all of my shixt, you might think, “Man, this dude knows what he’s doing!” But in Reality, I’m not even sure anymore what’s back there and I don’t know how to use half the Shixt I do have ;)
But it looks Cool as Fuxk at Bucks, Flexing on the Tall Curbs :)
Check out YouTube and watch some “Recoveries Gone Wrong “
You will see folks getting there Rigs torn to Shreds by the Good Samaritan, that was honestly, just trying to help.
Again, it’s about Slowing The Situation Down and making a plan that is fully understood by both parties involved.
You don’t want me, rolling up in my Freshly Waxed Starfuxk Blu Raptor, pulling out my BEAUTIFUL BILLET 4X4 USA KE Rope, Pristine Soft Shackles and hook them up to your Color Matched TRD PRO bumper. Followed by me loading up for a 20’ first attempt hit ;)
30 years ago, that would have been me, minus the KE Rope and Soft shackles :)

John M BUNMAN

Reaction score
#3 Dig, Dig, Dig - Place MaxTrax - Connect your System….
A little bit of digging, goes a long way to making the Recovery Safer and a lot Easier.
If you haven’t used MaxTrax before, you will amazed by how they can pop a vehicle up on the surface of whatever you are stuck in…

605BA13A-CB3F-4422-A23D-F1736E8E91D4.jpeg5B1E8944-921B-478C-9949-A878F397E87D.jpeg