Would you still buy a new 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WhatExit?

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need to try harder as Raptors can be bought easily at MSRP (and less depending on location).

Spend over MSRP if you don't want to leave your area (where are you?). It's your $$$

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
You need to try harder as Raptors can be bought easily at MSRP (and less depending on location).

Spend over MSRP if you don't want to leave your area (where are you?). It's your $$$

I'm in Sacramento, CA. I have tried hard. The only MSRP deal I've found is ordering from Penske and that's a trip to San Diego, shipping my trade, etc. I'm not new to this, as I own a 17 GT350. I had to buy that out of Texas and ship it to California to avoid ADM. However, I still paid a form of over MSRP, because I spent $1,500 on Enclosed Transport. I then had to hassle with DMV and all that crap.

There is no free ride buying out of state or out of my area. I also have my registration renewal on the GT350 occurring in less than two weeks. That's $650, so if I trade before that time, I don't have to pay that renewal. If I don't and trade a week later, that's $650 more out of pocket.

I'm not trying to justify ADM since of the 45+ vehicles I've bought, I've never paid MSRP or over MSRP.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just think if it as a nice Raptor road trip when you pick her up from Penske. I'll buy you a beer while you're here.

I do see your point though, if it was $10k+ ADM I'd say it's still worthwhile to absorb the registration and travel/shipping costs. At $5k ADM, you're on the verge of breaking even, without the hassle.

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
It's $2k ADM at this point for the Lightning Blue with everything except interior accent. Though there are some inbound units which have just been built that I'm checking on. Preference of Colors is Lead Foot, Magnetic and Lightning Blue.

Penske put me on hold and I had to follow up with them yesterday, since they never confirmed a trade price on my GT350.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ca is kind of a micro market of ford dealer insanity. You can shop out of state and have the vehicle destination sent to a local speakership. That doesn't help on your trade but you would have little trouble offloading the gt350.

You may want to just wait. This time last year your local stealerships were leading the way in The Stupid regarding Raptor pricing. You never want to make a financial deal under duress, real, self inflicted or otherwise. We can talk ourselves into all kinds of stupid stuff. ADM, non Ecoboost Raptors, or anything mgd, formerly sasquatch77, suggests.

The Raptor is a great truck. It is not so great that the day won't come when you regret paying above MSRP.

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
I'm in Sacramento, CA. I have tried hard. The only MSRP deal I've found is ordering from Penske and that's a trip to San Diego, shipping my trade, etc. I'm not new to this, as I own a 17 GT350. I had to buy that out of Texas and ship it to California to avoid ADM. However, I still paid a form of over MSRP, because I spent $1,500 on Enclosed Transport. I then had to hassle with DMV and all that crap.

There is no free ride buying out of state or out of my area. I also have my registration renewal on the GT350 occurring in less than two weeks. That's $650, so if I trade before that time, I don't have to pay that renewal. If I don't and trade a week later, that's $650 more out of pocket.

I'm not trying to justify ADM since of the 45+ vehicles I've bought, I've never paid MSRP or over MSRP.

When doing the math on this, keep in mind that the GT350 trade value is more like $47k/$48k. They need to sell it on their lot for $52ish. Knowing this, you can play the numbers to see what deal they are really giving you. Upside on GT350 is really $6k, and that makes your “plus $2k adm” look different... more like $4k under MSRP.

pchmotoho

Reaction score

Did you try Autonation Ford in Tustin. As I said they did sell me one (17 in Aug) at MSRP. Absolutely zero games as well.

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
I reached out to their sister store, told them of the deal and they came back and said $10k over, no exceptions.

I'm going to look at the 2018 Lightning Blue which has all options exception Interior Accent in the morning. I just emailed them to confirm it's still available before I make the 80 mile drive.

Uncas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's $2k ADM at this point for the Lightning Blue with everything except interior accent. Though there are some inbound units which have just been built that I'm checking on. Preference of Colors is Lead Foot, Magnetic and Lightning Blue.

Penske put me on hold and I had to follow up with them yesterday, since they never confirmed a trade price on my GT350.

Just a thought, but I shipped my GEN 1 from UT back to VA for $1600 last summer, shipped it out to UT from NC two years ago for $2k but the company was paying that trip.

If you’re going to drop this much coin, get it the way you want it. Just saying...

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
I have not seen a Lightning Blue Raptor in person, so it will be a good trip, regardless. I may love it like I did on the GT350. I just kind of fell for the "military" look of Lead Foot. :)

In terms of shipping, if I have to do that, $1000-$2000, there's my ADM. I don't feel terrible at $2k over, since my trade price is pretty fair at $53k. Once I'm there, I may press for a better deal if I opt to move forward. It's harder for them to say no. I can always get back into my badass 'stang and head home. :)