Would you still buy a new 2017?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
I took the GT350 out for a drive and stopped by to check out the 2018 Lightning Blue Raptor I mentioned earlier in this thread. I told them that I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it and they still offered to let me test drive it. So I took it for a short spin and overall it drove decent, but has what felt like a rattle / choppiness coming through the steering wheel when hitting small bumps in the pavement. I've driven a lot of trucks and everyone says how smooth the Raptors are, it seemed a bit off to me. It was quite noticeable. I asked that they have a tech check the air pressure in the tires, since they could have been over inflated.

They held firm on their price but did say my GT350 was pristine. They also had a 2017 Roush edition Raptor for $82k in Oxford White. It was pretty sweet looking and had quite an upgraded suspension. For that package, it was clear that most of the money went into the new shocks, wheels and tires. Otherwise, everything else looked to be cosmetic upgrades.

They turned my attention to a used 2017 Raptor 802A which had most all options in Avalanche without the graphics package. It was just traded in with 25k miles on it. I checked it out and overall it was in pretty nice shape. The interior showed little to no wear and the body looked very clean. I didn't crawl underneath to inspect it for any damage, but they offered it to me for $66k. I did note the the tires showed some uneven wear in the center of the tread, most likely due to over inflation. They dropped the price to $65.5k and said they'd install a new set for $1300. Quoted me just slightly over Flood Ford for the 8/125k ESP Premiumcare warranty. If the mileage was around 10k, I would have been more interested. In all fairness, if I averaged more than 5-6k miles per year in the Raptor, I'd be quite surprised. It won't be my daily driver.

I do have to admit that I really liked the Avalanche color. I thought about that color on the GT350 when I was buying it. On the Raptor, it looks really good.

I ended up leaving without buying anything. It's a big purchase and I do have an impulsive side, so I'm proud that I was able to get back into the GT350 and head home. I emailed them to see if they could sweeten the deal by $500 on the 2018.

Overall, it was a very nice truck. There were two things I didn't like. I can't find any love for the brakes. Now I'm going from probably one of the best braking systems on a modern Ford product (GT350) to one of the worst, so it was far more noticeable than I was expecting. Seemed far worse than my 2012 FX4 as well. The pedal was really spongy. Maybe I'm spoiled that my other cars have a pretty firm pedal, but I was really surprised at the feel and travel for sub-50 MPH stops on that truck. The other was the exhaust noise. I drive a 3.5L Ecoboost on a daily basis, so I know how they sound, but in the Raptor, it's just kinda meh. It wouldn't stop me from buying one and it's really a nit-picky thing to mention, but there's just something about a good V8 note that gets my blood pumping. I did like the comfort, the looks and the commanding view of the road.

We shall see what happens.

davidl81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the brakes are a little softer on purpose because of the KO2 tires? Since they are the reason for the speed limiter and the reason for the longer braking distance. Im just thinking out loud more than anything else.

On the used Raptor I’m not sure if 65k is a good deal for a truck with 25k miles. Not saying the dealer is being unfair since I’m sure they paid top dollar on the trade, but 25k miles is a lot to only get what 4K off of MSRP.

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure on the brakes. I think if they were not quite as spongy, I wouldn't have had any issues with them. I daily drive a 2015 Explorer 3.5L and the brakes in that are pretty good. I don't recall having any big concerns with my 2012 FX4 either. However, maybe it was the direct transition from the rock hard pedal in the GT350 to the Raptor that amplified my sensitivity to it. I have read a fair number of posts about a spongy pedal. If pads and SS brake lines would reduce that by 20-40%, I'd be all over it.

Yeah, the used one at 25k miles didn't seem like a great deal to me. It was surprisingly clean though. I'm going to pass and wasn't really interested. It's not a bad deal out here in California though, since nearly every freakin dealer wants above MSRP. I had a General Manager email me today from a dealership saying they'd love to get my business, they are all about a great deal and great customer service. So I replied back and said, sure, MSRP on a Raptor. They came back and said, well we don't really mean the shit we put in our emails, that will be $15k sir. LOL.

Then they had to balls to call me after I replied back with "No thanks! LOL". Too damn funny. Lot's of greed out this way unfortunately.

Last edited:

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
You are lucky that these junk deals didn’t suck you in. Honestly, just be patient. The future is much brighter for the Raptor based on the news.

SOAKINRED

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MGD

You are lucky that these junk deals didn’t suck you in. Honestly, just be patient. The future is much brighter for the Raptor based on the news.

MGD
Just wondering what you get out of all this? We know you don't own a Raptor and are never helpful? You spend a lot of time? What do you get in return?

OP
OP
U

unixadm

Reaction score
MGD uses this forum to practice his typing. No harm, no foul. It's also easier for most people to be negative than to be positive. :)

I may have just found a Magnetic for $2k over. Nobody will do MSRP on a 2018 around here. Penkse got back to me and it's a 5-6 month wait if I order one at MSRP. I may as well just wait for a 2019 at that point!

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
MGD
Just wondering what you get out of all this? We know you don't own a Raptor and are never helpful? You spend a lot of time? What do you get in return?

I do own an SVT Raptor.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

I may as well just wait for a 2019 at that point!

VERY smart!!

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I do own an SVT Raptor.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

VERY smart!!

This is the Gen2 forum you ahole troll.

Why dont you go post on the SVT gen1 forum???

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I took the GT350 out for a drive and stopped by to check out the 2018 Lightning Blue Raptor I mentioned earlier in this thread. I told them that I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it and they still offered to let me test drive it. So I took it for a short spin and overall it drove decent, but has what felt like a rattle / choppiness coming through the steering wheel when hitting small bumps in the pavement. I've driven a lot of trucks and everyone says how smooth the Raptors are, it seemed a bit off to me. It was quite noticeable. I asked that they have a tech check the air pressure in the tires, since they could have been over inflated.

Are you certain the "choppiness" you felt in the steering wheel wasn't the Lane Keep Assist alerting you? My 18 Raptor is the first vehicle I've owned with that tech and it threw me off at first also, thought I had a blown out shock with only a couple hundred miles on the car.