Who went from Gen1 to Gen2? Regrets or no looking back...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 to 2017

Was Extremely Hard for me to pull the trigger on this one. Like all of you, I LOVED my 2011 Screw. My regret is that I could not have both of them. The 6.2 spoke to me with just the right amount of authority in the exhaust note. The 2017 is more Porsche like in the noises it makes. The SYNC is a major major update that was desperately needed with the new screw. With the exception of exhaust note, the 2017 is better in every way. It is much more intuitive, you just select the driving mode you want, and the computer does the rest. And if for no other reason, go test drive one in Baja Mode.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my only regret is the color, Wish I bought the Silver one
2011 - Black
2013 - Black
2014 - Ignot Silver (LOVED THIS COLOR)
2017 - Black

Why do you keep buying so many raptors mr. bumpus?

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I am going to say something that's going to get me a lot of hate. But I gotta say it.

I don't know why the big fuss about how the old V8 sounded great and the new turbo sounds bad. OK, definitely, the turbo doesn't sound as good as the old V8, no arguments there. However, the old V8 was no Ferrari flat-plane crank that sang a sweet melody. It was a big 'ol hunk of american muscle. BIG difference between the two.

As someone that has owned a lot of European cars that genuinely sounded good, and now owns a Vette that sounds very medoicre, I honestly think the soundtrack of the old V8 is more than likely a bit exaggerated. American V8s sound better than turbos, but still not truly great to begin with.

So as someone waiting for his Gen 2 to arrive, the whole brouhaha about it sounding bad doesn't bother me one bit. Whatever.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you keep buying so many raptors mr. bumpus?

---------- Post added at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I am going to say something that's going to get me a lot of hate. But I gotta say it.

I don't know why the big fuss about how the old V8 sounded great and the new turbo sounds bad. OK, definitely, the turbo doesn't sound as good as the old V8, no arguments there. However, the old V8 was no Ferrari flat-plane crank that sang a sweet melody. It was a big 'ol hunk of american muscle. BIG difference between the two.

As someone that has owned a lot of European cars that genuinely sounded good, and now owns a Vette that sounds very medoicre, I honestly think the soundtrack of the old V8 is more than likely a bit exaggerated. American V8s sound better than turbos, but still not truly great to begin with.

So as someone waiting for his Gen 2 to arrive, the whole brouhaha about it sounding bad doesn't bother me one bit. Whatever.

Yeah, you'll probably step on a few toes. To each their own, I respect your opinion. Definitely disagree, but respect your thoughts and ideas of what constitutes a relishing resonance. I, for one, love the sound of my '16 Stingray's performance exhaust, permanently in Sport mode.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you'll probably step on a few toes. To each their own, I respect your opinion. Definitely disagree, but respect your thoughts and ideas of what constitutes a relishing resonance. I, for one, love the sound of my '16 Stingray's performance exhaust, permanently in Sport mode.

Appreciate your thoughtful response.

I've got the same - a 14 Z51 Stingray with the NPP exhaust. I find the vette just sounds loud. There is no melody, no character. I realize a lot of that is because of the motor itself. The big chevy 6.2 is a lazy motor that doesn't like to rev up or down in a hurry. Gearing has a lot to do with it too. I have a borla x-pipe waiting to be put on, hoping that improves the character a bit.

Overall, American cars sound good in an American sort of way. Not in a general sports car sort of way. Just my school of thought.

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Appreciate your thoughtful response.

I've got the same - a 14 Z51 Stingray with the NPP exhaust. I find the vette just sounds loud. There is no melody, no character. I realize a lot of that is because of the motor itself. The big chevy 6.2 is a lazy motor that doesn't like to rev up or down in a hurry. Gearing has a lot to do with it too. I have a borla x-pipe waiting to be put on, hoping that improves the character a bit.

Overall, American cars sound good in an American sort of way. Not in a general sports car sort of way. Just my school of thought.

Oh I agree, there is a very distinctive difference between an American rumble and a European melody. A Porsche V8, by contrast, has a decidedly different, more exotic sound, including the smooth whirring noise of the precision components in the drivetrain, than say our LT1's more conventional composition. But that's just it, some of us favor the more violent, vehement voice of big ol' American V8's. As for the Raptor, since that's what brings us all together here, I was among those devastated to have the powertrain turn to the dark side, with small displacement, forced induction. I had a '13 and a '14 Raptor, and loved the character of the big V8. Missing the V8, but not enough to reject giving the new second generation a fair shot. Now, Ford's horrific rollout of this new product is a different story.....leaves plenty of room to be validated in abandoning ship.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you just like revs to me hence the GT350 fpc. The LT1 puts power down early and everywhere but the rpms drop sooner you have to rev the 350 out to get power. Two different ways to put power down just have to know how to use a manual transmission:)

Surprised you own a corvette my Grand Sport is being built first week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you just like revs to me hence the GT350 fpc. The LT1 puts power down early and everywhere but the rpms drop sooner you have to rev the 350 out to get power. Two different ways to put power down just have to know how to use a manual transmission:)

Surprised you own a corvette my Grand Sport is being built first week of April.

Nice, congrats on the Grand Sport that is an awesome machine! I only have 989 miles on my '16 Z51, but plan on putting it up for sale soon for a new Z06 :biggrin:.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, congrats on the Grand Sport that is an awesome machine! I only have 989 miles on my '16 Z51, but plan on putting it up for sale soon for a new Z06 :biggrin:.

Damn!!!!!!

I was tempted but got the look I wanted with the grandsport. I looked really hard at a16 ZO6 in shark grey with kalahari 10k on the clock for $68k!

Got everything I wanted on the grandsport but comp seats. Already bought the z06 suede steering wheel in suede red rev match paddles and red stitching, shift knob and shifter. Stage two wing kit etc etc..lol

Last edited:

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn!!!!!!

I was tempted but got the look I wanted with the grandsport. I looked really hard at a16 ZO6 in shark grey with kalahari 10k on the clock for $68k!

Do I need all that power?? Of course not!! But I want it :win:. I actually was originally thinking of the Grand Sport.....but I don't plan on tracking it, so the extra 190 HP is really what's driving the upgrade. But, the Grand Sport is a damn fine machine too.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I need all that power?? Of course not!! But I want it :win:. I actually was originally thinking of the Grand Sport.....but I don't plan on tracking it, so the extra 190 HP is really what's driving the upgrade. But, the Grand Sport is a damn fine machine too.

Lol WORD!

I was amazed at how much more insurance was!