Who is Towing a Travel Trailer and what are your experiences

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickshu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension is the weak point on the Raptor for towing. The engine and driveline and frame are stronger and more powerful than any other F-150 so you are more than fine there.

WDH is essential. WDH + Airbags on the rear is best.

Here is the thread that includes my custom rear airbag system build for towing: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/gen-2-rear-is-too-lightly-sprung-needs-airbags.53216/page-10

Here is a thread with an awesome (but costly and very involved install) removable solution: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/finally-got-a-true-removable-towing-solution-see-pics.58963/

cdodgela

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a 26ft travel trailer camper 5k lbs dry with stock suspension and WDH for 1 year, sometimes with a golf cart on an open trailer behind the camper too. With wind or passing semi, the tail definitely wagged the dog. White knuckle ride at times to properly describe it. I had Deaver +3 leaf springs installed and it's night and day. Stock is 4 leafs with a 2" block, Deavers have 12 with no block and that's not the HD ones. Towing and not towing are great, both much better than stock, more like it should be. I've been towing travel trailers for around 30+ years. Deaver springs are kind of an expensive option, around $1,700 total installed for me but worth it. It's the only significant mod I've had done. I haven't done enough off-roading to give an opinion on the performance with Deavers.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a little strange...the Raptor has more power/torque, lower gears and a 10 spd trans....I would expect the Raptor to tow like a mad man....
Mine does tow like a madman! We own an Airstream and it is a breeze over any mountain pass we have encountered, Rockies and Sierras.

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
FP - wow that’s really warm. I think u just made up my mind to stick with the oem IC location
Thanks

Brett Rahn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear sag is issue
I tow a 7x16 enclosed trailer with 2 Harley’s and I cannot run a weight distribution hitch as tongue is to short. So sag was bad really bad to the point I had the dealer replace the springs due to them being bent after 1 tow. So first I added the Timbren system. Cheap and easy and works very well. then I had a local spring shop add 1 steel lief to the new stock springs and that was the answer. Way cheaper than Deavers etc. both done with new hardware for 385
Then did rpg 2 1/4 collars and truck looks and sits and rows awesome. 95F5FB24-DE6B-40E5-ABBC-125E6ACFF5FC.jpegE80767C4-5AB2-40D9-BF44-010E811D50F7.jpeg E80767C4-5AB2-40D9-BF44-010E811D50F7.jpeg

JP77

Reaction score
I tow a 26DBH travel trailer. Max weight 7.5k. A little bit of sag if I load anything in the bed, but I usually load the trailer. A WDH set up correctly is a must. Towing it in the ozarks, all hills and hot! But the raptor runs normal temperatures and no issues with power on the hills. Cross wind is sketchy so I put a sway brake on it as well. No issues with damage to suspension or odd wear. The truck can take it, just don’t expect anything beyond it’s capabilities. I specifically chose the 26DBH as it’s about as big as we can go without modifying suspension. Also flat towed my Jeep, and an enclosed motorcycle trailer no issues.

JJOcean

Reaction score
Only 7,000 miles and one season towing, but I towed a wakeboard boat (Malibu Wakesetter 23LSV) all summer and the truck towed it perfectly fine. I came from 2015 F150 platinum and was expecting a significant down grade for towing. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how good it actually towed. The sag/hitch drop is ~3 inches with Raptor vs ~2 inched with the Platinum on the exact same boat and trailer set up.

Are you running a WDH when towing your Malibu?

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing is always harder on any vehicle, but its a truck, if you didn't need to tow/haul, then maybe a truck was not the best choice.

On the F-150 V8s, typically I would see more oil consuption while towing but no other longer term affects.

Last edited:

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
FP - wow that’s really warm. I think u just made up my mind to stick with the oem IC location
Thanks

Swapping to a 170 t-stat will drop your temps way down. I have a frame-horn cut bumper with the Full Race IC mounted up high, a 170 t-stat with colder spark plugs and I have towed 4-5K loads several times for 10-12 hours without seeing temps over 210. My truck has a 93-PRX MPT tune with the N-Gauge mounted on my lower windshield, so I see my temps in real time. In Texas with temps at 100+ degrees in the summer, my truck averages around 190-195 with street and highway driving, so the t-stat is definitely doing its job.

I also have Geiser springs up front with Deaver +3s on the rear and it tows beautifully. There is a slight rear end sag based on how I load the trailer, but as others have said, a good WDH would solve it if I was going to be towing on a regular basis.

Raptor 2018 Towing.jpeg

Last edited:

SmokieRiver

Reaction score
Are you running a WDH when towing your Malibu?

Nope. Trailer tongue and surge brakes make it challenging. After towing with it for a season, I don't see it as necessary. If I ever upgrade to a new model, then I'll probably get some timbren bump stops. Below is a pic of it hooked up.

190714_082815.jpg.0b471ae5da1f297febd89228c2e26d35.jpg