What did you do to your Gen 3 today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

willwwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed mine recently. Yes, you can install it without draining the oil. But if you haven’t done a diff oil change it’s a good time to do it. I like to do them early in the trucks life after break-in. There’s a decent amount of metal usually. Just order a new gasket like the lube locker on Amazon.

Install is slightly more involved than I anticipated. There is a ridge on the drivers side that needs to be ground down and repainted. Not entirely hard, a simple flap disk (80grit) on an angle grinder works well. Other than that install is pretty straight forward. There’s no instructions so I had to call foutz for that info.
Weird I didn’t have to grind anything down - when did you get yours? Wonder if they fixed it , I ordered mine a month ago..

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird I didn’t have to grind anything down - when did you get yours? Wonder if they fixed it , I ordered mine a month ago..
Got it back in January. Maybe they fixed it or there could be some variance in the axle casting. Was told the grinding was required on gen3 but not gen2. I also have the Ford Performance diff cover version, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I installed mine recently. Yes, you can install it without draining the oil. But if you haven’t done a diff oil change it’s a good time to do it. I like to do them early in the trucks life after break-in. There’s a decent amount of metal usually. Just order a new gasket like the lube locker on Amazon.

Install is slightly more involved than I anticipated. There is a ridge on the drivers side that needs to be ground down and repainted. Not entirely hard, a simple flap disk (80grit) on a angle grinder works well. Other than that install is pretty straight forward. There’s no instructions so I had to call foutz for that info.
Not cool regarding the grinding. I'll have to reach out to them before I order and see what's going on. I don't plan to get the FP cover or anything like that, although it seems they have different versions that seem to be interchangeable? Thanks for the heads up!
It took 10 mins to install and that was with my toddler stealing the socket twice haha
I have my factory bolts still and if it starts to act up at all I will remove it and take it in for service/warranty.
I’d rather have the piece of mind since I use my truck Offroad more then the average starbucking raptor guy lol
That's great news, then I read about the grinding. No bueno on that. I suppose I could order it and see what's up and see if they'd initiate a return if that was the case. I'll have to reach out to them. Thanks for the post and for answering that it was simple and mostly, in your case, bolt-on/off.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not cool regarding the grinding. I'll have to reach out to them before I order and see what's going on. I don't plan to get the FP cover or anything like that, although it seems they have different versions that seem to be interchangeable? Thanks for the heads up!

That's great news, then I read about the grinding. No bueno on that. I suppose I could order it and see what's up and see if they'd initiate a return if that was the case. I'll have to reach out to them. Thanks for the post and for answering that it was simple and mostly, in your case, bolt-on/off.
It wasn’t to bad as long as you know what has to be done. It’s nothing structural just some extra casting that’s gotta be removed. Having said that, it seems like the skid could be designed to not have to grind anything, and sounds like maybe it has been revised to do just that. Good luck.

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swapped over my intake from Gen 2, and added the shroud and brace. Also wrapped up my fog lights and added some spare S2’s on the pillars. My wife thinks the pillar lights are dumb, she said they look like antlers, haha. I pled the 5th.

View attachment 403963View attachment 403964View attachment 403965
I see you have removed the little mud flap thingys under the fog lights. Can they be removed while retaining the factory fog lights? Nice antlers…. By the way.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I see you have removed the little mud flap thingys under the fog lights. Can they be removed while retaining the factory fog lights? Nice antlers…. By the way.
Yes they easily come off, I removed mine the other day, 2 bolts per side and one plastic body clip you pry out with a flathead screwdriver, Takes 5 minutes.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2CF13CD2-26C3-4B2E-83D3-78BA3D18032D.jpegCD54AFD5-3D1E-4C8D-BC4E-FC9212987B44.jpegCC25FF65-6A30-45E1-8869-365BB164766C.jpegAdjustable RPG collars set at 2.50
RPG Rear coil spacer 1 inch
Prior to installing these I had a 1.50 inch rake. Now it looks pretty level maybe slightly higher in the rear ?
The shop recommended to do 3inch/1inch but didn’t want to go too crazy in the front.
After pick up it drove stiff, felt like stock but in sport mode. Did the forscan shock recal and it drives closer to stock-normal mode, still feel a bit stiffer. Down travel seems much more aggressive. I like the look but the feel is questionable.
Probably will switch to FRS when they come out.

Idaho Savage

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 408183View attachment 408185View attachment 408186Adjustable RPG collars set at 2.50
Prior to installing these I had a 1.50 inch rake. Now it looks pretty level maybe slightly higher in the rear ?
The shop recommended to do 3inch/1inch but didn’t want to go too crazy in the front.
After pick up it drove stiff, felt like stock but in sport mode. Did the forscan shock recal and it drives closer to stock-normal mode, still feel a bit stiffer. Down travel seems much more aggressive. I like the look but the feel is questionable.

You probably already know this but always give suspension mods some time before you reach a verdict. Often times things need to settle and/or break in, most often leading to some softening.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
View attachment 408183View attachment 408185View attachment 408186Adjustable RPG collars set at 2.50
How do you like those Nitto's so far, the recons are on top of my list when the time comes. Noise level and overall thoughts?

Color of the truck with those wheels looks sick! Nice job.