What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chewie

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing the rear pinion seal. Also replaced the mag-Hytec diff cover with a Spicer. After my last Rockies trip and dragging a rock on the rear diff after a wheel slipped off another, decided to put on a differential skid plate. Now to get rid of those cheap ass bolts that spicer provided.IMG_1862.jpeg

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing the rear pinion seal. Also replaced the mag-Hytec diff cover with a Spicer. After my last Rockies trip and dragging a rock on the rear diff after a wheel slipped off another, decided to put on a differential skid plate. Now to get rid of those cheap ass bolts that spicer provided.View attachment 470809
Thats the KHC skid plate right?

slade8

Reaction score

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to replacing the rear pinion seal. Also replaced the mag-Hytec diff cover with a Spicer. After my last Rockies trip and dragging a rock on the rear diff after a wheel slipped off another, decided to put on a differential skid plate. Now to get rid of those cheap ass bolts that spicer provided.View attachment 470809
Nice! I need to replace my pinion seal as well, any tips? I'm hoping the FordTechMakuloco youtube videos will get me through it, I went ahead and ordered a 12-point Sunex universal socket and the OTC seal driver, still need a HF 2-jaw puller and an impact socket for the pinion nut, is it 45mm or 1-7/8" or ?

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I was changing a tire on my son’s 2014, I noticed this. Truck is a lifelong southern truck with maybe 3-4 winter trips to the Midwest. Looks like I’ll be dropping by the body shop to see what it’s gonna take to get it fixed.

IMG_8468.jpegIMG_8467.jpeg

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
While I was changing a tire on my son’s 2014, I noticed this. Truck is a lifelong southern truck with maybe 3-4 winter trips to the Midwest. Looks like I’ll be dropping by the body shop to see what it’s gonna take to get it fixed.

View attachment 470902View attachment 470903
Wow, that is really bad, are you close enough to the ocean for the salt air to affect it?

Chewie

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice! I need to replace my pinion seal as well, any tips? I'm hoping the FordTechMakuloco youtube videos will get me through it, I went ahead and ordered a 12-point Sunex universal socket and the OTC seal driver, still need a HF 2-jaw puller and an impact socket for the pinion nut, is it 45mm or 1-7/8" or ?
I haven’t seen the video, but basically drain fluid and spray the bajesus out of the driveshaft bolts with some PB Blaster before removing the driveshaft. Before popping it loose tie it up or bungee it to the body above so when it does pop off you can have it out of the way. Might have to pry it off after the bolts are out. I also marked where the driveshaft was to pinion with a paint pen. Used a 12 pt and extension with a wobble adapter and didn’t need to rotate the shaft.

My pinion nut was 1 1/8 I believe and came off with the 1/2 impact. If you don’t have an inch pound TQ wrench, feel the lash/movement on the pinion prior to removing the nut. Then when you replace it you’ll have a good idea what it was supposed to feel like. Also once the pinion nut gets put back on all the way you will be close enough, at least in my case. With the TQ wrench I got 10” lbs before wheel movement.

Definitely going to need that 2 jaw puller. All in all it took maybe an hour with me crawling under the truck in the driveway wishing for a lift. Lol