What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnny Raptor

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is really bad, are you close enough to the ocean for the salt air to affect it?
Unfortunately, no. It’s lived its entire life in North La, so we’re 250 miles from the coast. The passenger side is worse than the driver’s. You can feel the rust flexing under the paint.

I’m honestly shocked it’s got rust like that with so little exposure to winter roads. I’d normally question the PO’s truthfulness, but I bought it from my Dad when he decided to buy an R, so I know the complete history of the truck.

I guess it’s not something that has to be fixed immediately, but I hate knowing it’s there.

DEXRAPTURD

Reaction score
While I was changing a tire on my son’s 2014, I noticed this. Truck is a lifelong southern truck with maybe 3-4 winter trips to the Midwest. Looks like I’ll be dropping by the body shop to see what it’s gonna take to get it fixed.
My 12' did the same thing. I have to paint the entire cab due to the metallic. Cost me close to $2000 to have it done and that included removing windows to do it correctly.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t seen the video, but basically drain fluid and spray the bajesus out of the driveshaft bolts with some PB Blaster before removing the driveshaft. Before popping it loose tie it up or bungee it to the body above so when it does pop off you can have it out of the way. Might have to pry it off after the bolts are out. I also marked where the driveshaft was to pinion with a paint pen. Used a 12 pt and extension with a wobble adapter and didn’t need to rotate the shaft.

My pinion nut was 1 1/8 I believe and came off with the 1/2 impact. If you don’t have an inch pound TQ wrench, feel the lash/movement on the pinion prior to removing the nut. Then when you replace it you’ll have a good idea what it was supposed to feel like. Also once the pinion nut gets put back on all the way you will be close enough, at least in my case. With the TQ wrench I got 10” lbs before wheel movement.

Definitely going to need that 2 jaw puller. All in all it took maybe an hour with me crawling under the truck in the driveway wishing for a lift. Lol
Appreciated!