What did u do to your raptor today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm having some issues with the fuel gauge. From full to half it is accurate. After half it basically goes to indicating empty withing a few miles of driving. Left my place today with a range of 205 drove about 20 miles to work with an indicated level of empty and estimated range of 34. Went to station after work and filled it to full, which only took 19 gallons. Is this the cluster going bad, or the sender going bad?

2012SCSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer: my local store; (friends from my racing days), had them in stock. The bling finish is "available", but it's 90miles round trip.
Gotca, I was thinking more about the corrosion. Those will start to rust the first time they get wet is all, you may want to consider painting them or something.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
So I'm having some issues with the fuel gauge. From full to half it is accurate. After half it basically goes to indicating empty withing a few miles of driving. Left my place today with a range of 205 drove about 20 miles to work with an indicated level of empty and estimated range of 34. Went to station after work and filled it to full, which only took 19 gallons. Is this the cluster going bad, or the sender going bad?
I would say it more likely the sender is bad. I have had three different vehicles that have had bad senders, two had to have the tank dropped and one had to access by taking the back seat out.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say it more likely the sender is bad. I have had three different vehicles that have had bad senders, two had to have the tank dropped and one had to access by taking the back seat out.
Only reason I even mentioned the cluster is that on the F150 forum a user said they had very similar issue and it was the dash not the sender. I'll just bring it up next time I swing by for an oil change.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that's more likely, but were those three all Chevy's? I swear every Chevy truck I've ever been cursed with had the fuel sender and/or the in-tank fuel pump fail.

@badm0t0rfinger an outside possibility is wiring/connectors (just a hypothesis but if the sender is a rheostat type setup that increases resistance the lower the tank level, and the wire from sender to BCM or whatever is skinned/partially cut, perhaps below a certain impedance it's like, well that tank is just dry). Especially just aft of the driver's tire where the harness hangs down below the frame rail from the factory but the whole length is really suspect. And a quick check for damage only costs you your time...

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotca, I was thinking more about the corrosion. Those will start to rust the first time they get wet is all, you may want to consider painting them or something.
Besides, everybody knows my Raptor won't be finished before climate change ends the world. ;(

Attachments

• 20231130_073152.jpg
    20231130_073152.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20231130-073656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231130-073656_Chrome.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 24

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I agree that's more likely, but were those three all Chevy's? I swear every Chevy truck I've ever been cursed with had the fuel sender and/or the in-tank fuel pump fail.

@badm0t0rfinger an outside possibility is wiring/connectors (just a hypothesis but if the sender is a rheostat type setup that increases resistance the lower the tank level, and the wire from sender to BCM or whatever is skinned/partially cut, perhaps below a certain impedance it's like, well that tank is just dry). Especially just aft of the driver's tire where the harness hangs down below the frame rail from the factory but the whole length is really suspect. And a quick check for damage only costs you your time...
No Chevy's here! Hyundai Veloster, Nissan Pathfinder and one old Dodge. The Veloster was the one you had to pull the bottom of the back seat out and remove a very well glued round access panel on top of the gas tank while cramped in the back seat area to pull out the fuel level sender unit. Hoping you don't spark anything.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It has been raining here pretty hard so maybe that has something to do with it. Perhaps a bit of water intrusion or a rock from the parking lot. I'll get under it tomorrow.

2012SCSVT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides, everybody knows my Raptor won't be finished before climate change ends the world. ;(
Do you have a build thread? I actually just went through doing shock buckets and did tons of suspension cycleing and measurements.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustBud