The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shooterAMG

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to throw something out there regarding handheld radios. Let me preface by saying that not only did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, I'm also a licensed HAM radio operator.

5 watts, the max most handhelds can transmit at, isn't a ton. Think of it like this. If each of our trucks is 1/4 mile apart and we have 15 trucks, the distance between Lead and Chase could be 3.5 miles. Over the river and through the woods at 5 watts with an antenna inside the metal cab could be pushing it.

If we do have trucks with handheld radios in my group, we'll stick them near people who can relay with Mobile rigs should it be an issue for Chase or Lead to hear them clearly. That, or we'll move them back or closer up front.

Funny story though, I reached an IRLP Repeater in Portland while sitting in my tent on Mt. Hood while transmitting at 2 watts. That's about 70 miles away! Granted I was sitting at 9000 feet, but it illustrates how a clear line of sight and some altitude can really help.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

That said, an external antenna will help a ton. I believe Big Blue used my handheld with the external and it worked pretty well last year.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I had no issue using just a handheld talking to either lead or chase in C group. I spent most of the run as the 1st-3rd truck back from lead.

It was a Yaesu VX-7R handheld.

I wish I could have kept one of the systems I supported in AFG, just for the amusement of watching where people were when they are talking on the radio. http://praemittias-systems.com/wolfhound/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Rock Slide Engineering- RSE Bumber

raptor-front-baja2.jpg

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
wonder if Jason would do a group buy on the tyt9000 I'd take 2 putting one in the wife's Van. how much would shipping be?