The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bradsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't get that stuff down here in Texas. Gonna have to pick some up on the way up there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Scott1446

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys feel is the best option for a handheld radio? I don't want to install a full mobile unit in the truck. I have the Baofeng unit I bought from treypal for HAVOC but we really didn't use the radios much there. Would it help to put an external antenna on it? Or should I go with another unit all together?

At HAVOC I used a Handheld that was capable of transmitting at 5 watts and had no problem communicating with anyone when needed. With the size of the groups for the SnoBall you should have no problems communicating with the members in your group using a handheld unless the group getting really spread out and you are trying to talk to someone that is far away. Having an external antenna will help for a few reason: one it gets it out side of the metal box, two it gets it higher in the air if you place it on the roof. You should also try to keep you antenna vertical because the way VHF radio wave radiate for the antenna, you will get better performance from it. Regardless of the radio you have you should have no problems hearing those with the mobile radio which are capable of transmitting at high outputs (more watts).

As for what external antenna I would go with a Diamond MR77, it is a mag mount and you can order it with several different connectors so you should be able to connect it directly to your hand held. The other thing I like about it is that element (wire) is a thinner gauge which allows it the bend down and spring back if it hits something. And it does this without coming loose from the truck; don’t get me wrong I am not saying you won’t knock it loose if you hit it head enough.

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At HAVOC I used a Handheld that was capable of transmitting at 5 watts and had no problem communicating with anyone when needed. With the size of the groups for the SnoBall you should have no problems communicating with the members in your group using a handheld unless the group getting really spread out and you are trying to talk to someone that is far away. Having an external antenna will help for a few reason: one it gets it out side of the metal box, two it gets it higher in the air if you place it on the roof. You should also try to keep you antenna vertical because the way VHF radio wave radiate for the antenna, you will get better performance from it. Regardless of the radio you have you should have no problems hearing those with the mobile radio which are capable of transmitting at high outputs (more watts).

As for what external antenna I would go with a Diamond MR77, it is a mag mount and you can order it with several different connectors so you should be able to connect it directly to your hand held. The other thing I like about it is that element (wire) is a thinner gauge which allows it the bend down and spring back if it hits something. And it does this without coming loose from the truck; don’t get me wrong I am not saying you won’t knock it loose if you hit it head enough.

Wow thanks for the info! I'll order one up!

Scott1446

Full Access Member
Reaction score

mouldman1

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Java

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wicked weather here in Northern Michigan today. -2 blowing and drifting. I think these duratracs are the bomb. They bite like I'm on rails. How many days DD?

Stickman89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ury2u6y8.jpg

Yeah here also. Let's just hope it's not like this in 10 days

Molten Orange from NW Indiana