The SnoBall-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Powertank- Tire repair kit and air pressure gauge

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:16 PM ----------

Here is the Teaser video link again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott1446

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to throw something out there regarding handheld radios. Let me preface by saying that not only did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express once, I'm also a licensed HAM radio operator.

5 watts, the max most handhelds can transmit at, isn't a ton. Think of it like this. If each of our trucks is 1/4 mile apart and we have 15 trucks, the distance between Lead and Chase could be 3.5 miles. Over the river and through the woods at 5 watts with an antenna inside the metal cab could be pushing it.

If we do have trucks with handheld radios in my group, we'll stick them near people who can relay with Mobile rigs should it be an issue for Chase or Lead to hear them clearly. That, or we'll move them back or closer up front.

Funny story though, I reached an IRLP Repeater in Portland while sitting in my tent on Mt. Hood while transmitting at 2 watts. That's about 70 miles away! Granted I was sitting at 9000 feet, but it illustrates how a clear line of sight and some altitude can really help.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

That said, an external antenna will help a ton. I believe Big Blue used my handheld with the external and it worked pretty well last year.

I am also a licensed HAM radio operator (KC3BFW). I see from checking the group list that you are Lead for group C, I am in group D. Are there other licensed HAM radio operators on the SnoBall? Do we want to do anything to establish communication between groups in case it is needed? I have a 50W mobile rig in my truck and will also have a 5W hand held.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am also a licensed HAM radio operator (KC3BFW). I see from checking the group list that you are Lead for group C, I am in group D. Are there other licensed HAM radio operators on the SnoBall? Do we want to do anything to establish communication between groups in case it is needed? I have a 50W mobile rig in my truck and will also have a 5W hand held.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea. Cell coverage is pretty spotty.

Yukon Joe
www.RUNRAPTORRUN.com

Ms. MI Raptor

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
So I just got some bad news... Dealer called and there are metal shavings in my transfer case - so much that it looks like glitter in the fluid. I have a loaner car but they can't guarantee I'll have my truck back by next Thursday for the run. I have another dealer (in a different dealer zone) checking through their channels to see what the timeframe would be for them get parts to fix it so I'll see what they say too. This sucks. :(

My loaner car is a Subaru which all the treehuggers up here love to take into the woods...maybe I should see how it handles the deep snow. :p Kidding. I'd never want to pollute the run with such a hideous vehicle.

OP
OP
Kanakry

Kanakry

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Krazy House Customs- $250 Gift Certificate

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

So I just got some bad news... Dealer called and there are metal shavings in my transfer case - so much that it looks like glitter in the fluid. I have a loaner car but they can't guarantee I'll have my truck back by next Thursday for the run. I have another dealer (in a different dealer zone) checking through their channels to see what the timeframe would be for them get parts to fix it so I'll see what they say too. This sucks. :(

My loaner car is a Subaru which all the treehuggers up here love to take into the woods...maybe I should see how it handles the deep snow. :p Kidding. I'd never want to pollute the run with such a hideous vehicle.

Sucks to hear this. Hopefully it gets fixed in time.

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score

If there was a "Dislike" button, I'd click it.

Sorry to hear that! Hopefully they get it handled for you and you're able to run with YOUR truck.